shape
carat
color
clarity

Mara dear....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, I can''t believe how stunning these settings are! I can''t stop going back and looking at these rings. Gorgeous! I so wish I had been there. Totally laughing about the eyes, because that''s exactly what I thought when I was there too.
2.gif

Gypsy/Mara, can you describe the differences in the look of the pave where the channel was polished before the diamonds were set and where it wasn''t? How different are the two looks? Is one noticeably more attractive or better than the other?

Gypsy, the contender is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing what your final decision is! One question: Did JE charge to polish your setting? I''m looking to get a ripple polished out in mine too.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, they are all gorgeous! What a fun thread, all the beautiful bling!! Sounds like you ladies had a great time and the Contender is fabulous!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
re: the polished channel vs not polished. it was apparent there was something different about the two rings. we asked what was going on. he wasn't sure, took the rings back and came back and said that the super sparkly shiny looking one had a polished channel before the melee was set. and the other one which was the baguetto halo/cluster ring did not have a polished channel and it was much more subdued looking. the melee still sparkled, but it was sooooo subtle and mild compared to this other ring which was like blingitty bling bling!!! he said it was not common practice to polish the channel before setting melee but you could ask for it to be done. anyway the difference visually was HUGE. and i thought wow if this baguette/cluster ring is not sparkling like the dickens in the jeweler lighting, then it will be really dull out in the regular world.

Kpebbles, the tennis bracelet my girlfriend has, she has no real info on it but i think it must be like 1ctw. it's super thin!!!! i never really got more info but i have seen 2ctw bracelets online for something like $2500 or so...so i figure 1ctw if you can find one and it's not custom would be cheaper. but also the setting is super delicate and low...it's not one of those super elaborate settings. i have yet to really see anything like it...and we have not been to aptos in a while so i haven't asked! but hopefully maybe next spring i'll be in the market for either bangles or a bracelet so we'll have to see what the landscape is like then. trying on widget's stunning 5ctw (or was it 10ctw?!) bracelet at the GTG last summer just ruined me FOREVER on getting a bracelet or bangles or something sparkly on the arm!!!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
Thank you Thank you Thank you for taking all of these photos.

When I first read about the cushion I misread the price as 9K!!! How funny is that. If reality doesn''t fit sometimes I just bend it. It''s a beautiful stone. The culet isn''t visible tho? Nice ring tho.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2006 7:30:28 PM
Author: Gypsy
Ah HAH! I was the Tycoon Cut diamonds that Mara and I did not like. Just thought I''d post this in case anyone was thinking about getting one. The E and G (!!!) looked YELLOW. And some of them looked lifeless and dead. Really did not like them.
Yes I looked at these when I wanted the Henri Daussi cut. I did not like theTycoon cut at all. I hated the facets. And they really didn''t sparkle.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Impatient Imp that I am... I called Erik.

Here''s the news: The manufacturer is holding tight to the custom claim as they would have to make a new mold in order to accomodate my diamond size.

Eric has qouted me $2400 for a ''real'' custom version of the ring. Which means-- it will accomodate a flush band and have the channel where the pave sits polished. Plus I will get a wax to tinker with which is nice. I might even be able to sneak a saphire surprise stone in there like I wanted. Hmmm....

2400 is for the ring in 18K OR 14K. Erik actually suggests 14K over 18K for strength and durability (this is not news to me, my current x-prong is 14K for exactly that reason-- less polishing, less plating).

And....

I told him I''m going for it!
As soon as I get a concrete YES, WE WANT YOU PERMANENTLY from my job. He''s also agreed to honor the price a month from now, provided that the price of gold stays relatively constant (wish it would drop-- fat chance with mid-term elections coming up though).
Should I get 14k or 18K?

HAPPY DANCE! I REALLY love the setting.

Be honest now. TRULY honest. Do you really like it? Or are you just saying that cause your sick of my indecision?

widget

Ideal_Rock
YIPPEE!!!!!
36.gif
How exciting! Now you can get EXACTLY what you want, and you''ve already seen the quality of JE''s custom work, so no worries there...

No opinion of 14 vs 18 Kt gold...except that 18 "sounds" better..
20.gif

I''m so happy for you Gypsy! Now...how long til you know you''re permanently hired?????

widget

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot believe I missed this thread. I thought it was just a personal question for Mara, so I kept my nose out. Big mistake! Haha. What stunning pics and amazing settings! Love the one you chose Gypsy!!!! Good luck with the job!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just before Thanksgiving is when they've said they will let me know. I told them that if they can tell me a little before then, I would appreciate it, as FI is coming to CA then for apartment shopping and I would like to have him bring me Duncan on his trip over.

ETA; Thank you Facet Fire. I love your AV!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/17/2006 6:03:20 PM
Author: Gypsy
Be honest now. TRULY honest. Do you really like it? Or are you just saying that cause your sick of my indecision?
COOL!!! Sounds like great news! I think the setting will look GORGEOUS for a 6mm Asscher ... with that big honker it kinda scares me - like a cartoon or something! But scaled for yours, I can imagine it being delicate, yet "figure flattering" & blingy!

On 18k vs 14k ... ???

On the polished channel ... I wonder how "polished" it stays underneath there. My asscher sits in a little polished "divit" ... and when it comes back "jewelry store clean" it makes a difference ... but - it does not stay super shiny "polished" if you know what I mean ... it''s open so it can be re-polished, but I wonder if a true "channel" would allow for repolishing over time, and if it will dull a bit with age. Not saying this to bum you out ... but perhaps to temper your long-term expectations a tish, based on my limited experience!

Hope you get the offer so ya can get this BLING TRAIN MOVIN"!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I think you know I love it since I''d like to have one! Lol! But I am going to find you a quote I posted for someone yesterday by Neil that says 14K YELLOW is more durable than 18k YELLOW gold, but 18k WHITE is more durable than 14k WHIte....which is why I went with 18k WHITE!!!! I read it several times before I did anything!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely DS! That''s exactly why I posted the question... so that you ladies in your infinite wisdom would help me make the correct choice!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, here''s the quote and he is referring to cast pieces..so don''t know how it applies to your situation. Still, 18k is like 75% gold and 14 is only like 56% or something. I just think 18k is nicer.

"The comments in your link are correct. The hardness of the final product is a more complicated question than the simple karatage of the metal. Properly worked, some alloys of 18k can be quite durable. For commercially cast type pieces, 14k yellow gold is usually more durable than 18k yellow gold. 18k white is usually more durable than 14k white."
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I just saw looked through this thread and I LOVE ALL of the pieces. The two split shank rings are to die for. One of each please.

Gypsy-- that is so exciting! I can''t wait to see your new ring.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I''m so excited for you
36.gif
36.gif

That is an absolutely gorgeous setting. It is so great that I was thinking of giving up on the Maytal pink diamond setting and going with your Contender for my 2.35. How bad is that???!!!!

I think the concensus from the experts is that 18k gold is the way to go and it''s certainly a lot less expensive than platinum would be!!

Any idea when the permanent job offer might come??? I''m keeping everything crossed until you hear. I hope it''s soon because this "crossing" gets more than a little uncomfortable after a while
35.gif

Erik Carlson GG

Rough_Rock
Trade
Mara and Gypsy,

Thank you so much for the kind words! You girls are an absolute blast to work with! You are welcome anytime to try on, well, anything.

I don''t get a chance to look at this forum while I''m at work (because I would never get anything done) but Gypsy told me that you ladies posted some nice things about me here so I had to check it out and WOW! you two are too nice!

I look forward to seeing you both again soon and we will have some more fun!
1.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Erik! We certainly are impressed with some of your settings! Seeing that asscher ring makes me put that high on my list for my next project! (Sorry, not the diamond..just the setting!)

Erik Carlson GG

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thank you DiamondSeeker.

Mara is a GREAT photographer. As anyone that photographs jewelry knows, it''s not easy, and those pictures came out awesome!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy! Congrats! It looks like you are well on your way to the setting. It''s gorgeous and unique, I know a little tiny bit over the ideal price but honestly, in five years when you are looking at that beauty sitting on your finger, you won''t remember that it was a little more expensive.

In any case, WOW! I have to say that split shank one just made my heart skip a beat. Too beautiful for words.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha Erik thanks....I''m sure we were much like monkeys in a blingy zoo. ''Keep em contained!'' Though I would imagine that as a jeweler, it must be kinda fun to see people like us sometimes...hehee.
2.gif
Thanks again for showing us around.

isaku, i think in all the madness i must not have gotten any shots of the side view of the contender. sorry!! but it was purty and it sat low on the finger.

i have already started working on greg for the 4c cushion. it''ll just take me...oh another 40 years. maybe.
39.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Erik! Glad you could make it over to say hi!

Mara is fabulous with that camera, isn't she?

Thank you for letting us romp and roam in your store... and I'm so excited to begin this project!

Isaku-- the side view was almost identical to the side view of that drawing/ rendering of the baguette halo you got done. Remember that picture (and if you do, can you post it again here?), that's what the side view looked like.

Ally and DL... Thank you ladies!

Ally honey, yes it's a bit more than I wanted to spend... but I've surrendered. This setting feels right, so I'm going for it.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, not a contender ... a WINNER!! Beautiful pics guys! Gypsy I hope you hear about your job soon so that you can buy that gorgeous WINNER of a ring!
9.gif

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy: I''m so glad you surrendered. It''s going to be SO worth it. And nothing like that baby on PS (and I bet a rarity everywhere) when I got engaged I was obssessed over budget etc., looking back on it, and for the next time, I''m not giving a second thought to budget. I used to spend so much time looking at it appreciating it, that I realized it is worth every penny to get exactly what you want.
36.gif
36.gif

Keep us updated when that baby is officially in the works.
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, that''s great news. I think that setting is one of the prettiest I have ever seen on here. Yay for you!!!
36.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
GOOD GRAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh my stars and garters, OH my grief intense.

What a heavenly blingfest! I love it ALL!!!!! And I LOOOOOVE the "CONTENDER" It is HEAVEN. PERFECT! "THE ONE"!!!

YAY!!! I want to go up to to Nocal and play with you two!!!

WOOWHOO!!!!!!!

What a good day to be back on PS
30.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2006 6:29:53 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Well, here''s the quote and he is referring to cast pieces..so don''t know how it applies to your situation. Still, 18k is like 75% gold and 14 is only like 56% or something. I just think 18k is nicer.

''The comments in your link are correct. The hardness of the final product is a more complicated question than the simple karatage of the metal. Properly worked, some alloys of 18k can be quite durable. For commercially cast type pieces, 14k yellow gold is usually more durable than 18k yellow gold. 18k white is usually more durable than 14k white.''

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

WOW this info is news to me. Are the major designer stock rings "commercially cast"?? What I mean is Danhov, Tacori, etc.

darling

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy, good luck with your job and the ring decision. I am sure it will be beautiful, no matter which one you decide on.
Mara, awesome pictures. I especially like the hallo setting on the square cushion. Wonder if something like that would look good with my EC. I should have asked you both to keep your eyes open for setting options for me. I have just not been able to go to JE yet. I called earlier today, but Erik wasn''t there. The lady I spoke with wasn''t too helpful. Will have to try again.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous jewelry!!! ''The Contender'' is so gorgeous. A really unique take on a setting. Love it!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results