shape
carat
color
clarity

Mandatory lock ups to combat Covid19

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if you get news from Australia but Victoria has got a huge outbreak.

One of the strategies to combat this is to lock down entire suburbs.

One of the more drastic strategies have been to lock down public housing towers. The residents are getting two weeks free rent and $1500 hardship payment. They are being locked in for 5 days so everyone can be tested but that may be extended.

There are some dissenters (as there is with everything) but on the whole we just accept it. I'm really curious as to whether this would fly in America.

Would you agree to being locked up with police outside your home?

Would you agree to infected areas being locked up or is that a bridge too far in terms of personal liberty?

Here's a basic article so you get the idea of what's going on:

There have also been stories of police waiting at train stations to catch travellers from Victorian infected postcodes who should not be travelling to another state. Would you find this acceptable during these times?

We generally just roll with it here in Australia.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I guess if I were getting paid to stay in, I'd be ok with that!

Perfectly content so long as I have some entertainment!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This would never happen, someone would sue for their rights.

S

SallyB

If we’re not careful, discussing what might happen in the United States during a public housing lockup might get this thread locked down :bigsmile:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m willing to bet that it would fly depending on the region and the amount of money people would get paid. But that’s not the way it works here..wish it would.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This would never happen, someone would sue for their rights.

It's actually interesting how we just accept it here. This was a conversation I had with hubby:

M: Grocery charges are like double on the credit card but that is because I bought heaps of food this week

H: Good idea babe. Should buy a bit more in case they lock us up. You get spare whipping cream? You love your cream cakes.

Also note they are providing the residents with groceries and medication etc

We're just worried they won't be the groceries we like!

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Given that we know Covid spreads more easily in closed up spaces with shared airflow and dense populations (Did they forget how it spread on cruise ships!) it sounds like they are making a nice little breeding ground for it. Remove and isolate anyone who tests positive or shows symptoms. Everyone else can SIP until there is an all clear. But heck no...I would not want to be locked up in a building with infectious people....thats crazy.

As to the legal question such a lockup in the US would have to come by a court order and yes, many would appeal it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know if you get news from Australia but Victoria has got a huge outbreak.

One of the strategies to combat this is to lock down entire suburbs.

One of the more drastic strategies have been to lock down public housing towers. The residents are getting two weeks free rent and $1500 hardship payment. They are being locked in for 5 days so everyone can be tested but that may be extended.

There are some dissenters (as there is with everything) but on the whole we just accept it. I'm really curious as to whether this would fly in America.

Would you agree to being locked up with police outside your home?

Would you agree to infected areas being locked up or is that a bridge too far in terms of personal liberty?

Here's a basic article so you get the idea of what's going on:

There have also been stories of police waiting at train stations to catch travellers from Victorian infected postcodes who should not be travelling to another state. Would you find this acceptable during these times?

We generally just roll with it here in Australia.

Please get well Victoria
im very worried about you all

we would roll with it here too
even people like me who vote national and don't like the present PM

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's actually interesting how we just accept it here. This was a conversation I had with hubby:

M: Grocery charges are like double on the credit card but that is because I bought heaps of food this week

H: Good idea babe. Should buy a bit more in case they lock us up. You get spare whipping cream? You love your cream cakes.

Also note they are providing the residents with groceries and medication etc

We're just worried they won't be the groceries we like!

=)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Given that we know Covid spreads more easily in closed up spaces with shared airflow and dense populations (Did they forget how it spread on cruise ships!) it sounds like they are making a nice little breeding ground for it. Remove and isolate anyone who tests positive or shows symptoms. Everyone else can SIP until there is an all clear. But heck no...I would not want to be locked up in a building with infectious people....thats crazy.

As to the legal question such a lockup in the US would have to come by a court order and yes, many would appeal it.

Its winter down here
Victoria is not a tropical climate
They can turn off the AC

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hehe don't worry I didn't hoard in the traditional sense. Don't want ScoMo to yell at me.

I've been buying one pack of everything each week (or twice a week) even though I don't need to replace it.

So this week I bought two pieces of pork belly on two separate days. You get the idea. I didn't pile my trolley with 10 pork bellies :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hehe don't worry I didn't hoard in the traditional sense. Don't want ScoMo to yell at me.

I've been buying one pack of everything each week (or twice a week) even though I don't need to replace it.

So this week I bought two pieces of pork belly on two separate days. You get the idea. I didn't pile my trolley with 10 pork bellies :lol:

Oh no dears ! =)2
I was just thinking what good people you are and how lucky we are in the world to have you guys next door

I hoard frozen chickens when they are $5

Just you guys stay safe and do what you have to do
id be worried id run out of cat food or id get the wrong flavours

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yikes I pray all our Aussie friends are ok.
It really depends on where in the country.
Could range from most going along with it to all out shooting fight.

The police checking travelers has happened in the US and is right now in some areas.

S

SallyB

Oops, I forgot a factor:

Our current American president + American individualism + American litigiousness + American race wars = American COVID doom

I have faith that Australia will get the virus under control. The U.S.? Not so much.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our great state of Connecticut basically follows whatever the NY and NJ governors decide, because ours can't come up with an original thought to save his life.

Anyways that's the only way that would happen here and I'm sure it would not be without conflict.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no dears ! =)2
I was just thinking what good people you are and how lucky we are in the world to have you guys next door

I hoard frozen chickens when they are $5

Just you guys stay safe and do what you have to do
id be worried id run out of cat food or id get the wrong flavours

I'm in NSW and they will close the border starting tomorrow.

One thing I love is the cooperation from the Government.

NSW will police the border so Victoria can focus on the virus.

Federal government is sending in more personel. Yes mistakes were made but everyone is working to dig Victoria out of it's hole.

Last edited:
S

SallyB

If there’s a NASCAR event during the weekend of the training session, America may send you these experts as alternates:

1594000244289.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm in NSW and they will close the border starting tomorrow.

One thing I love is the cooperation from the Government.

NSW will police the border so Victoria can focus on the virus.

Federal government is sending in more personel. Yes mistakes were made but everyone is working to dig Victoria out of it's hole.

Im very releaved to know you are in NSW
Its a very worrying time for Victoria and all of us close by watching
Stay safe NSW

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I may have to try the umbrella contraption. Pretty ingenious.

I was just gonna post the same thing. Some glitter and a few beads and it could be quite fetching in addition to protective.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think VIC is doing what they need to do, being in enforced quarantine for a couple of weeks with payment thrown in for good measure isn't the end of the world! :rolleyes:

I think the Premier (Dan Andrews) is trying to be more targeted this time, rather than locking down the whole state as such? Clearly this second wave escalated quickly right at the point when Oz was reopening and some people chose NOT to adhere to common sense Covid-19 rules so now their community are paying the price. :doh: I'm confident we'll get it under control fairly soon. #straya

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I feel like this whole covid thing has been going on for years now but i do remember reading at one stage that if you didn't have a mask a bra was an option
Here they told us to wear a spair tee shirt around our necks and if someone started coughing to pull the extra tee shirt up around one's nose and mouth

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results