shape
carat
color
clarity

mandated cft and the diamond cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
With the incandescent light going the way of the dodo bird after 2012 and the mandated change to cft/CFB lighting how will this effect the diamond market?

The last major change was from soft lighting with candles and lamps to the harsh ark light then too the incandescent light moved the diamond world from the oec too the modern RB.
How will the coming change effect the cuts of tomorrow?

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
v. good question! i don''t know but i''d be very interested to hear what the experts have to say? and i''d ask if they could address OEC as well in their discussion.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally I see an increase in diamonds that show pretty patterns like Asschers, EC and even h&a rounds under diffused lighting and a trend away from radiants and princess cuts with scattered patterns.
We may also see a increase in stones with different outlines such as pears and octagons.
If led lighting catches on then brilliants may have a batter future but led lighting has a long way too go, the current white isn''t really white and the narrow spectrum light gives many people headaches and kills colors.
They also suffer from UV emissions which have to be blocked which decreases output.
Right now while a lot more emery efficient than incandescent lighting they are only about 1/5 as efficient as CFT/CFB for room lighting.

I dont see a move back too oec trype cuts because they are at the best with soft pinpoint light sources where cft is soft diffused and spread out lighting.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 3:46:26 PM
Author: strmrdr

I dont see a move back too oec trype cuts because they are at the best with soft pinpoint light sources where cft is soft diffused and spread out lighting.
While I dont think OECs will start being re cut en masse, I can say with total certainty that my stone out performs most modern cuts I''ve seen in any lighting situation, not only soft diffused. I''ve seen the same thing from other stones similar to mine.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We wonder what may happen in the future. This discussion may serve to get a few cutters and scientists to really study the matter. Maybe something new in the way of cutting designs will prove to be especially better in this softer lighting environment. Pricescope is freqently read by people who never contribute, but who carefully monitor the forums and articles for new ideas or controversial issues. This sort of open forum is like a goldmine full of valuable nuggets for the right prospectors.

We know that diamonds change in appearance from candle light, to incandescent light to dispersed fluorescent light. The idea of cutting them to maximize beauty in the normal lighting of the coming decades is an intriguing topic.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Great topic and idea for discussion.

The lighting changes that caused the RB evolution were most manifest in sales environments; first it was low-hanging electrics to exaggerate fire. Sellers kept improving the ''mousetrap'' and now jewelry stores have strategic directional spots + reflected lighting + small LEDs up inside the display case...which can make a lot of diamonds look pretty exceptional.

That brings us to the dichotomy between the environment in which you buy (jewelry store lighting) and that in which you live and work. A lot of groovy bars, public spaces and stores have "grade A" lighting for fire/scint in diamonds - but home and office lighting has always been different.

Strm, do you have any thoughts about how or if the cft/cfl changes will influence public spaces, and jewelry stores specifically?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 4:27:11 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Strm, do you have any thoughts about how or if the cft/cfl changes will influence public spaces, and jewelry stores specifically?
They have no choice but too move along with it and I see some states passing laws too move sooner and setting up boards for approving lighting for public places.
I see them increasing the use of leds but they are limited too showcases and not general lighting right now until they fix the white issue.
Causing your clients migraines and eyestrain is not good for business.

I know of one mall that kicked a jewelry store out because of power usage.
The tenants split the power bill and the bill almost doubled when the jewelry store opened.
They were gone in under 3 months.
That kind of power draw will not be tolerated.

Overall I see lower white ceilings with fluorescent tube lighting coming back for public places.
All of the new stores and malls in my area are being built that way.
More like office buildings than warehouses.
Someone I know is also building their house that way.
It is going to be a very interesting ride that''s for sure a double whammy of higher energy costs and mandated lighting changes is going to make it interesting for architects and builders as well as interior designers.

There is no question it is going too have a huge impact and anyone that doesnt take it into consideration is going too be in trouble.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2008 3:50:02 PM
Author: surfgirl

Date: 1/18/2008 3:46:26 PM

While I dont think OECs will start being re cut en masse, I can say with total certainty that my stone out performs most modern cuts I've seen in any lighting situation, not only soft diffused. I've seen the same thing from other stones similar to mine.
I knew someone was going to come in and say I love my OEC, I love your OEC they are kewl cuts.
But there is no question that the changing in lighting was a major reason they were moved away from that does not mean that a well cut one isn't beautiful in modern lighting.
But put them in the right lighting and even a not so well cut will look good.
Which is what John is addressing in his post above talking about sales lighting.

The main point is that eventually all indoor lighting will be home/office lighting and current diamonds are not optimised for that lighting.
That dont mean they are ugly in that lighting.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How dramatic can the future of lighting changes be?
33.gif

Can they be more dramatic than the changes which happened when candle light switched to electric light?

I am sorry..., I just dont see this as a major issue to cause Diamond cuts to chance...

I do see future change in Diamonds cuts because its a normal thing which should happen taking into account all the new tech. tools coming out to serve these purposes!

The main thing holding it off is in my opinion the tremendous cost of material...
22.gif
22.gif
22.gif

BUt if tools like DiamCalc will be able to take the "trial & error" part out of the equation..., then who knows where the limit will be!
31.gif
27.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2008 6:37:05 AM
Author: DiaGem
33.gif

Can they be more dramatic than the changes which happened when candle light switched to electric light?

I am sorry..., I just dont see this as a major issue to cause Diamond cuts to chance...

I do see future change in Diamonds cuts because its a normal thing which should happen taking into account all the new tech. tools coming out to serve these purposes!

The main thing holding it off is in my opinion the tremendous cost of material...
22.gif
22.gif
22.gif

BUt if tools like DiamCalc will be able to take the 'trial & error' part out of the equation..., then who knows where the limit will be!
31.gif
27.gif
not as dramatic as candle too electric but it is a large change on a lot of levels.
It also opens interesting marketing avenues.

Yea DC does make new designss easier and less risky.
Iv used gemcad and DC to design some myself.
can you imagine a 32 fold round hehehehehehehehe (its been done in gemstones I later found out when I showed it too a gemstone cutter LOL)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/19/2008 12:39:19 PM

Date: 1/19/2008 6:37:05 AM
Author: DiaGem
33.gif

22.gif
22.gif
22.gif

BUt if tools like DiamCalc will be able to take the ''trial & error'' part out of the equation..., then who knows where the limit will be!
31.gif
27.gif
not as dramatic as candle too electric but it is a large change on a lot of levels.
It also opens interesting marketing avenues.

I really dont have any knowledge..., so I wonder what kind of avenues you mean...
What kind of change on a lot of levels?

Yea DC does make new designss easier and less risky.
Iv used gemcad and DC to design some myself.
can you imagine a 32 fold round hehehehehehehehe (its been done in gemstones I later found out when I showed it too a gemstone cutter LOL)
Only one problem with DC (I understand)..., so far it only works on known shapes...
Plus the fact that the more I look at it..., the more I see virtual appearance..., the more I notice this virtual appearance is not quite the same as actual appearance. It give a nice and close feeling to the real McCoy..., but still not McCoy...

But it can become better future wise..., we shall wait an see!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
What a great question and what progressive thinking to come up with that. You impress me, Storm.

How I hate the new lights. They are harsh, obnoxious and sometimes even make me feel sick.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2008 5:57:35 PM
Author: sonomacounty
What a great question and what progressive thinking to come up with that. You impress me, Storm.

How I hate the new lights. They are harsh, obnoxious and sometimes even make me feel sick.
I used too not like them but got used too them shades tend to moderate the tone somewhat and the newer bulbs are better.
I have 3 13W CFB that are the only 3 lights I use in my entire apartment except for my reading lamp which is a GE reveal 60W bounced off the ceiling.

edit: DiaGem will post on your question after some sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results