shape
carat
color
clarity

Mandarin garnets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
The three yellowish ones were bought as mandarins I have no certs though. The other three are from Nigeria. They are all beauitful to look at though.

IMG_1898_1_1.JPG

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
The largest is a 10 by 8 mm 3.93 cts. The smallest is 6.12 mm round 1.60 cts I wonder why spessarites are so dense.

IMG_1893_1_1.JPG

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/18/2005 9:22:04 PM
Author: colormyworld
I wonder why spessarites are so dense.

Nice looking stones and interesting question. I think the high S.G. is results from concentrations of manganese. One stone from Amelia, VA tested 96% Mn., and Kunz'' "typical analysis" for the species claimed 90% Mn. Spessartite also forms a solid-solution with almandine and the red-orange spessartite hues often contain both Mn and ferrous iron. Spessartite S.G. is typically between 4.12 and 4.20 but almandine ranges from 3.95 to 4.30. Sometimes chemical analysis is required to sort out spessartite from almandine.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your reply Richard M. In the second picture the ones on the right were claimed to be from Namibia. The gemologist I go to graded the 8 by 10 yellow orange with a 4 tone and a 5 saturation.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/18/2005 10:40:27 PM
In the second picture the ones on the right were claimed to be from Namibia.

The only spessartites I''m sure come from Namibia are those purchased from an acquaintance who mines them there. Namibian goods are promoted as "pure manganese" -- no iron. Some Namibian stones actually contain ugly black metallic Mn inclusions -- too much of a good thing! Yet I''ve seen many Nigerian spessartites that look a lot like their Namibian kin. There are probably gemological methods of determining spessartite origin but they''re obscure. There are quite a few sources.

The stone that looks most Namibian to me in your image is the oval at the top right but you know how it is judging color from images. If the image is correct most of the others appear to contain some amount of almandine/iron, adding red. But I absolutely love reddish spessartites! The combination of glowing coal-red color and brilliance is magnificent in some stones.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nothing says ''orange'' like spessartite! are you going to set any or all of them?

peace, movie zombie

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Very nice set Doug, especially the largest Namibian. It looks very clean for Namibian material and, as Richard M. suggests, appears to have the inner glow unique to that deposit.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the replys. This is a very intersting time for gemstones as it seems new types are found often. I am curious to see what is next! Maybe some of the experts could give us a hint or two as to what is in the pipeline. Please!

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm hoping fop Sunstone (Andisine (s?)). Red, Green, bicolor and color change. I really like it, even the shiller stones. I think Neon Apitite is going to be back around. Also blue zircon is currently around and cheap for a great colored stone.

But I am no expert.

Regards,
Maurice

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
A couple of years ago I wish I had bought some green, color change andisine. I missed out on it when it was very inexpensive. I did get a very nice red andisine of 12cts. I posted pics in another thread. I am thinking about apitite. Those parairiba colors are bound to get popular. I like to check out a certian auction site (not e-bay) that is also on the television. They have lots of junk but every now and then they have some real gems. Mostly they were better a couple of years ago. They do come up with some new stuff. I have got some unbelievable deals from them. That is where these spessartites came from. Regards Doug

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
This is a close up of the 10 by 8. The inclusion in the table does not break the surface as far as I can tell.

IMG_1876_1_1.JPG

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
movie zombie I am so sorry for not answering your question sooner. Some how I missed it. Yes I do plan on mounting a few of them, I am thinking of making rings with the smaller ones. Thye 10 by 8 I am thinking about leaving loose. Thanks for the intrest. Regards Doug

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 5:22:17 PM
movie zombie I am so sorry for not answering your question sooner. Some how I missed it. Yes I do plan on mounting a few of them, I am thinking of making rings with the smaller ones. Thye 10 by 8 I am thinking about leaving loose. Thanks for the intrest. Regards Doug

no problema, doug! they will be gorgeous....and you have enough that you can very the settings....lucky you!

hope you post pictures once you have them set.

peace, movie zombie

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Movie Zombie I am curious if you are having any luck on setting that large chunk of solid sunshine you have? I know it can be difficult choosing the right setting for larger stones in rings. I think (IMO) that using someone that has a CAD That will show you a close image of what the finished product will look like. I know you don''t want to do that sort of thing twice! Regards Doug

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for asking, doug! the answer is a yes and a no.....and you are so right about not wanting to do it twice!

peace, movie zombie

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/19/2005 8:21:19 PM
This is a close up of the 10 by 8. The inclusion in the table does not break the surface as far as I can tell.
Looks nice. I also have alot of mandarin & nigerian orange spessartite garnets. I love the color and bought all the large clean ones I could find over the past few years. I ended up with 3 over 10cts and about 50 - 60cts of others ranging from 1.20cts up. About 20 1.20ct stones I had set in a mandarin and tsavorite bracelet to 8cts that is set in a pendent with a 10ct tsavorite. I did put some of my collection up for sale with a friend. If they sell fine if they don''t they stay in my collection.

Regards,
Maurice

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
mjo, the bracelet sounds divine! what a nice color contrast!

peace, movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results