shape
carat
color
clarity

Mama Mia Mahenge Garnet

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I was the fast-fingered fool who purchased the 1.95 ct Mahenge Garnet from Gene's drop last weekend. And I've been practically dying for it to arrive since placing the order Saturday, given how beautiful his picture & video was, and all the fuss I've read about these pretties. Turns out, all of the fuss was well-warranted! It happened to be THE perfect size CS I'd been quietly hunting for what seems like a year or more; not any one specific color, but more of a 'I'll know it when I see it" pink/red/wine/purple-family ... and I saw it in this one when his email hit my phone. :dance:

It was noted in the description to be 'more red with a touch of purple'; I'm assuming 'more red' meant compared to the lighter/peachy colored Mahenge garnets. I am TERRIBLE at describing colors and stick with the basics, so that said - to me - in most non-LED lighting this one is a fuschia/purplish-pink sort of color; but in LEDs it is pretty darn close to Gene's description, video & pic. But even if it was baby-poop brown, the incredible sparkle it puts off under my LEDs is nothing short of magnificent and I'd still love it! :love:

I'm including Gene's pic below as well as my own in in-direct LED lighting, as I find these to be helpful when trying to decipher how accurate a seller's gem photos may be to the person IRL when they get it. In this case, I'm quite pleased, and will be replacing ALL my lights to LEDs in my home pronto! :lol:

Enough chit-chat; on to the pics ... while images vary from monitor to monitor and camera to camera, etc., I will say that what I see on my iPad is pretty darn close to what my eyes see IRL, if that helps.

img_15357.jpg

img_15358.jpg

img_15359.jpg

img_15360.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple more ...

img_15361.jpg

img_0314.jpg

img_15363.jpg

img_15362.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So jealous! :mrgreen:
I was too late to get this one and I can honestly say it was my favorite of the new batch. I'm so glad you posted pics.
Do you know how you'll be setting it?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Elle. ((hugs)) When I later saw your post in the Gene/Drop thread, I felt bad and didn't want to say that I was 'the one' until I got it and knew if I'd love it or not (and return it). I've missed out a few times on his drops, and recall one time where myself and at least two others on here purchased the same stone, only to later get that dreaded notification that someone else beat me to the punch. I'm glad his new system seems to alleviate that dilemma.

As for setting, I know I want a ring, and given the beautiful 10-sided cut, I want something that lets that be seen ... so an octagon-ish style (thus my "show me" thread in SMTB). I really do like the one I posted there (also below), but not exactly that ring. I also saw Confection has a very similar Mahenge garnet in CvB's Rendevous (I believe) so that helps visual another style setting & how it might look in white metal, though I'm leaning toward yellow.

I just got a new iPad Pro recently, so I'm putting the Adobe Sketch program to good use in mocking up some designs/ideas ... a semi-bezel, adding tiny burnish-set diamonds around the sides near the top (like a 'pseudo-halo') ... nothing is set though. And I'd welcome any suggestions you or others have for how to do this beauty justice. :wavey:

img_15364.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
STUNNING stone! Congrats on getting and loving it. The setting idea you posted is a very modern take on a vintage setting.

:appl: :appl: :appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone Hunter|1488402473|4135305 said:
STUNNING stone! Congrats on getting and loving it. The setting idea you posted is a very modern take on a vintage setting. :appl: :appl: :appl:
Thank you Stone Hunter! I do like that ring, so I called the company that makes it to get an idea of their pricing, and my jaw about
hit
da
floor
when they told me the specs & price for that exact ring: 18K, a one-third ct diamond (yes - 0.31ct - didn't get specs), stock item.

$4000 :-o

It may be something that inspires my design, and they very well may offer quality items, but at that price point it $urely won't be for this/my project. :hand:

A couple more pics to get that sticker shock out of my mouth ... taken in incandescent LED lighting. I am really leaning more and more toward YG for this. Perhaps this weekend I'll break out some various metals to see how it looks with the options.

img_15366.jpg

img_15367.jpg

img_15368.jpg

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a great stone, congratulations! I'm such a fanboy of this material :)

Your seems to have great personality - it seems to like to show its purple side more than mine. Have fun with the setting adventure, and I'll throw in another yellow gold vote. Been thinking about that myself too.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone!! Great buy!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That stone is so beautiful!! It is so purple in a couple of the pictures.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
So beautiful!! Lucky duck!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1488398539|4135275 said:
Thank you, Elle. ((hugs)) When I later saw your post in the Gene/Drop thread, I felt bad and didn't want to say that I was 'the one' until I got it and knew if I'd love it or not (and return it). I've missed out a few times on his drops, and recall one time where myself and at least two others on here purchased the same stone, only to later get that dreaded notification that someone else beat me to the punch. I'm glad his new system seems to alleviate that dilemma.

As for setting, I know I want a ring, and given the beautiful 10-sided cut, I want something that lets that be seen ... so an octagon-ish style (thus my "show me" thread in SMTB). I really do like the one I posted there (also below), but not exactly that ring. I also saw Confection has a very similar Mahenge garnet in CvB's Rendevous (I believe) so that helps visual another style setting & how it might look in white metal, though I'm leaning toward yellow.

I just got a new iPad Pro recently, so I'm putting the Adobe Sketch program to good use in mocking up some designs/ideas ... a semi-bezel, adding tiny burnish-set diamonds around the sides near the top (like a 'pseudo-halo') ... nothing is set though. And I'd welcome any suggestions you or others have for how to do this beauty justice. :wavey:

Oh, I wouldn't want you to feel bad. I'm just happy a PS'r got it. Now I can live vicariously through your pics. :D
I've missed a few good ones (it's the worst when you get that refund notice)! There is something about that 10 sided cut that I find so visually appealing. I like your idea to set it in yellow gold (though that price was crazy high :shock: ).

meladori

Rough_Rock
Beautiful stone! I love the setting you picked for it, very unusual. :love:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chroman, Lovedogs, Chatoyancy, Poshmommy, Meladori: Thank you so much for your kind admiration of this gem. It really is quite special to look at, and I am thankful to have it in my collection. :appl:

Elle_71125: ((hugs)) Yes, I had to ask her to repeat herself when she quoted that price. :silenced:

On the setting, I am fairly decisive when I get an idea in my head about something, so ... I think I have a design fairly flowed out that will be a beautiful home for this garnet. It's a bit of a mishmash/combo of a couple rings that I like, and once I pin down a few details, I'm going to reach out to the person who I think is best able to understand & execute my vision. I'll share more on that when I get to that point.

- One question I have for anyone with these particular gems - would a full bezel setting (incl girdle) darken the color and hamper performance due to the limited amount of light allowed into it? If so, would a pseudo-bezel (like that YG ring I posted where the girdle is exposed and the garnet is prong-set) do the same or be okay/better?

- Also, I would love others' opinions on how the garnet looks with these metals (couldn't wait till the weekend lol). My skin tone is somewhat rosy/neutral. I don't usually do rose gold because it blends in too much. And I'm a little afraid 18K YG might be too 'brassy' for me, but I'm not sure. Here are three options ID'd, with pics of the garnet with each to follow:

img_15377.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Individual pics of the garnet with each metal option.

img_15378.jpg

img_15379.jpg

img_15380.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnet with all three options in different angles.

img_15381.jpg

img_15382.jpg

img_15383.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again with all metals in different light setting as well as metals on my skin tone.

That's the last batch. I greatly appreciate - in advance - everyone's thoughts on this. I absolutely SUCK at this part! :oops:

img_15384.jpg

img_15385.jpg

img_15386.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for 14k yellow gold. It stands out on your finger in a nice way (I do not like the 18k yellow gold at all).

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That skin pic makes my skin look more rosy than it really is; it was probably the light. Here is another one indoors in natural light.

img_15388.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats pretty stone. And yes I think bezels do darken stones this colour slightly or at least make them look less lively because they restrict the amount of light return they have. I like it with the white metal personally....

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone!!! :love: :love: :love:

I don't think you can go wrong with metal color, choose what makes you happy yellow gold may make it more purple though. As said however, bezeling will darken it a bit. it will be up to you if you go that route. From what I've seen of your environmental images, prongs may be the way to go.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Arkie & Arcadian! I appreciate your feedback, and think I will opt for a 'button'-prong type setting (kind of like that inspiration ring I posted up above) that leaves the girdle & crown open vs a full bezel. The design I have in mind does have the sides (below the girdle) 'enclosed' all around though. :???: I think I will just need to cross my fingers on that compromise because I am really loving what I am drawing up, and the design will afford some protection for the garnet. :D

And yes, I am getting wayyyy too carried away with my new iPad but it makes this so much fun to play with, since I am super visual. So, here are the two main colorways I am seeing ... all laid out to visualize the metal options and on my skin. It's a lot, I know. And yes, I am this analytical. :oops: But it's keeping me out of the politics threads, so whatevs! :naughty: :lol:

I think I am leaning toward the 14k as it seems to work okay on my skin in all lighting, and works well with the various colorways. My very-close runner up is the 18k unplanted WG. Thoughts?

I wish I had a piece in 10k-YG to consider also as a lighter-warmish metal.

img_0468.png

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little 'Saturday scientific analysis' ... I understand bezels typically darken a CS, but what I am seeing with my eyes (and these pics show) maybe makes this particular type of gem an anomaly in that regard. :think: I wish I could post the video differences because it's pretty incredible. In the open setting, the brightness & brilliance is visibly diminished in the open setting vs the more bright & brilliant appearance in the foil bezel. I took both sets of pics in the exact same place & position.

Maybe it's the white metal ... or maybe the light reflecting around the foil bezel back into the gem is actually illuminating it more. Either way, I think I am now leaning toward agreeing with Arkie ( :shock: :lol: ) on going with white metal vs yellow. :naughty:

Does anyone have one of these already set and willing to share their pics or observations of how yours looks?

img_15446.jpg

img_15450.jpg

img_15451.jpg

img_15452.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone- I love the flashes of pink and violet. I think white metal would suit it very well. :appl:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's the stone picking up and reflecting back the colour of the metal, the white gives the stone more of a cool tone and I think makes it "brighter" to look at.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Lisa for your suggestion for white metal, and Arkie for the explanation; that makes sense. :wavey:

I am becoming more and more enamored with this stone every second, and can't wait to be able to enjoy it set. :love: I have reached out to my preferred designer/bench for this project who I believe will be best able to execute my vision. :bigsmile:

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful stone! I'm waiting finished piece. I bet it will be stunning :wavey:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Confection10|1488690120|4136656 said:

Thank you Confection. :wavey: I was just ogling pics of your rendezvous with a Mahenge Garnet; it is just gorgeous. :love: Thread for reference: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jeffery-davies-mahenge-garnet-in-lad-cvb-rendezvous.225301/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jeffery-davies-mahenge-garnet-in-lad-cvb-rendezvous.225301/[/URL]

May I ask how you feel your stone performs in the setting and white metal? My design plans have a similar overall shape/profile to the rendezvous, as well as 'button'-type prongs, so I am very interested in your observations on if you feel the white metal enhances/increases the garnet's brilliance, if the setting allows enough light in, does it darken the body color, etc.

Confection10

Brilliant_Rock
JoCoJenn|1488718288|4136706 said:
Confection10|1488690120|4136656 said:

Thank you Confection. :wavey: I was just ogling pics of your rendezvous with a Mahenge Garnet; it is just gorgeous. :love: Thread for reference: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jeffery-davies-mahenge-garnet-in-lad-cvb-rendezvous.225301/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/jeffery-davies-mahenge-garnet-in-lad-cvb-rendezvous.225301/[/URL]

May I ask how you feel your stone performs in the setting and white metal? My design plans have a similar overall shape/profile to the rendezvous, as well as 'button'-type prongs, so I am very interested in your observations on if you feel the white metal enhances/increases the garnet's brilliance, if the setting allows enough light in, does it darken the body color, etc.

I did against all rules when I purchased Rendezvous... I hadn't stone when I made an order for setting :o. At that moment only I knew was that I have to had that setting. So when R arrived I asked Jeff to custom cut a stone. I wanted high crown and small table and so he did. And it sparkles like mad. I love platinum against my stone. My garnet just pops out of setting. I don't think colour of metal affect brilliance. If garnet is well cut it is very glittering stone. I like my garnet over all, but I found out that sometimes salmon colour comes out very strongly and it irritates me more than before. Closed gallery (R has closed one) naturally darkens colour, but not prevent sparkle dramatically (unless it is very dark toned by nature, which my Mahenge garnet isn't). I have dark rhodolite garnet in halo which is very glittering in bright lights. On overcast days or indoor in natural lights it looks quite quiet. But somehow very mysterious. Darker stones...when they sparkle... the look is irresistible :love: :lickout:. If I 'd find suitable size rhodolite I would replace Mahenge...maybe. I hope You get some sense of my story :wavey:

_6554.jpeg

_6555.jpeg

_6556.jpeg

_6557.jpeg

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for white metal :D I have a pink sapphire and I definitely think it suits white metal better than yellow.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Austina: thanks much; please feel free to post pics of your sapphire! I would love to see it. :naughty:

Confection: thank you for your observations of your stone's performance in the platinum; very helpful! I will probably lean toward unplated white gold since it looks best on my skin tone, but I'm also mocking up some two-tone options, so we will see.

I kinda unexpectedly splurged on something else today :whistle: so I may have a tough choice deciding which to set first when it arrives this week. On the bright side, I am enjoying the creative thought/design process for how to set them, mocking up ideas ... and it's keeping me out of the HO political chats. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results