shape
carat
color
clarity

mall stores

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snowgirl

Rough_Rock
Ok, 1 more ?...
would any of you eben consider dealing with a mall store for purchasing a diamond? we looked at a couple of "ordered in " stones.. they looked pretty good, but you cant get any solid answers out of the sale people..is it a waste of time??

Garysax

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2006 9:21:54 PM
Author:snowgirl
Ok, 1 more ?...

would any of you eben consider dealing with a mall store for purchasing a diamond? we looked at a couple of ''ordered in '' stones.. they looked pretty good, but you cant get any solid answers out of the sale people..is it a waste of time??

Depends on the mall store. Many of them carry pretty low quality diamonds at high prices. But there are certainly exceptions, especially among more independent jewelers and higher quality places (a tiffany store is sometimes in the mall, for example). But prices will probably be higher.

Hey, if the price was right, it had a GIA cert and I knew it was a great cut either from my eye or w/idealscope analysis I''d buy from a mall store. If you have an independent appraiser and a return period it could definitely work. Nothing fundamentally wrong with them, except that the staff isn''t always particularly helpful and prices are often very high for so so stones. But these are all generalizations!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I will not buy a diamond from a mall store. After my very positive online experience, I would consider nothing else.

Agape

Rough_Rock
We purchased the stone from an independent jewler, but found a setting at a great price at a maul store. I was comfortable because they are small channel set diamonds so the quality is not that big of a deal, also they have a lifetime service plan, which the local jewerlers do not have.To me, the stone was the big purchase and the indepent jewerler had much more time to give us and sent out for many stones until we found the perfect one for us. The maul stores never seem to have that kind of time. Oh yeah, we did find the setting at the maul store, but it was a remount show, where they brought in hundreds of styles. They had the matching in stock.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Maybe I have a very unusual experience. My original set came from Belden Jewelers (17 years ago). Now it''s Kay Jewelers.

Anyway, at the time they had a good upgrade policy -- you could get 100% of what you paid should you choose to upgrade. I got a very nice diamond by the day''s standards. Now so much more is known about cut, but they sold us a very nice diamond and a very nice, solidly made set. 15 years after I got it I took it to an independent jeweler to get his opinion on the color and clarity and his analysis of H, VS2 agreed with my paperwork, and I did not tell him what it said. That being said, we probably paid back then what you could get an on-line diamond for now. But, on line was not an option when we got engaged and it was a fair price compared to what we could get anywhere else, including privately owned jewelry stores (not mall chains).

Heck, I say go take a look. Go everywhere, to malls, to private jewelers, antique malls, pawn shops, etc. Let them get out whatever they have in stock that is graded about what you are looking for and compare. The only thing you have to lose is your time, and it will either confirm what you think or give you something else to think about. Who knows whether you will run onto something you really like at a good price, and a lot of the chains have 0% financing for a year or so, and that can make a difference in what you can afford, possibly. If you don''t find anything worthwhile at a B&M then you can feel very pleased with your on-line purchase.

I''m kind of a freak of nature on the board. I am really open to the idea of getting a diamond ANYwhere depending on your goals and the deal to be had, but do your research first so you know what you are buying and you get what you are paying for.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
My BF got me a 3-stone diamond pendant for Christmas from Marks & Morgan. That was before we knew what we do now, but I still love the necklace. And they have a great return policy, trade in policy and a lifetime guarantee, so I may buy from them again. But I probably would only buy something if it was certified and at a reasonable price, not inflated like 90% of the stuff they try to sell you. I'd probably still go for a reputable internet dealer 9 times out of 10 thanks to PS, even though I found my perfect e-ring diamond at a local independent dealer.
2.gif

I made the mistake of going into a mall store just to see how a particular setting would look on my hand, and the salesperson was trying to sell me a .70 ct J I3 for more than my ideal .85 I SI 1. And he didn't know the first thing about cut quality and had no idea what H&A was.
20.gif

Basically, just be careful, knowledgable, compare prices, and check certs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the stones are certified, then you could post the numbers and get some opionions on whether the stones are any good, and whether the prices are out of line or not.

But I''ll tell you, the jewelry stores I have visited did not have the quality or prices that I found here. I''ll never buy a diamond in a regular store again. But the settings are not that differently priced from what I have seen between local and internet.

Agape

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/12/2006 10:56:05 PM
Author: lumpkin
Maybe I have a very unusual experience. My original set came from Belden Jewelers (17 years ago). Now it''s Kay Jewelers.
You are not unusual, I got my first band at Belden, and my new mount and band came from Kay. From my experience, they are a pretty solid company.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2006 11:02:43 PM
Author: Agape
Date: 2/12/2006 10:56:05 PM

Author: lumpkin

You are not unusual, I got my first band at Belden, and my new mount and band came from Kay. From my experience, they are a pretty solid company.

I think Marks & Morgan is connected to Kay, maybe that''s why I actually got a gorgeous necklace from them. It''s only 1/3 tw weight but the diamonds are E color and sparkle like mad and I''m pretty sure my BF got them at a reasonable time since we were pretty broke around Christmas. So, I guess not all mall stores are bad, you just have to be careful...or get lucky.
2.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snowgirl, if you''re coming to PS looking for advice, my guess is you''ve decided you need more education before buying, and that''s a good thing! Welcome to PS, btw.

My diamond came from an independent jeweler, of course I knew nothing of PS when my husband purchased it, but it''s GIA graded and I am completely happy with it because he got the best stone he could find for his budget and size preference.

I have several friends whose e-rings have come from "mall stores." A few have gotten engaged since I found PS, and although I gave them the website address and my advice, they were happy in the end with their rings. Some people just aren''t comfortable with the idea of buying a diamond online, no matter how educated they become...and others are the type who are completely comfortable because they''ve done extensive research and for many other reasons.

I don''t think that buying from a mall store has to be a negative thing at all. But if I had found PS before I got engaged, you can bet I would''ve suggested it to my husband, and I''m sure he would''ve been open to the benefits of buying online and probably would''ve done so. We have a great brick and mortar jeweler with whom we are very happy, so I don''t know that any future diamond purchases will be made online, but I will most definitely remain open to the option, and if anyone I knew personally asked me, I would totally recommend PS as a place to gain valuable knowledge and find a reputable e-vendor. Good luck with your search!

Bianca07

Rough_Rock
Hi I just had a very bad experience with Whitehall jewelers in the mall. Their stones were very poor quality, so please just be careful and stay away from Whitehall. Of course I was ignorant and almost allowed them to scam me
emdgust.gif

I am sure you will get some great advice here from people who know their diamonds as they have helped me here immensely.
emotion-5.gif

Good Luck!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I forgot to add that I used to work for a very well known department store in their fine jewelry department. I was given VERY basic training, on diamonds as well as gemstones and gold. They didn''t even carry platinum at the time (8 years ago i think). While we were encouraged to develop our client prospecting books, we were also given sales quotas we had to meet in order to make commission. You might want to keep this in mind when dealing with mall stores. Sometimes in order to make a sale (and make money), a salesperson who isn''t armed with much knowledge in the first place will not have your interests in mind over his/her own. Just my .02. I''m sure some element of that happens with online vendors as well, but if you stick around PS long enough you''ll find that for the most part, many people here have had much success with finding diamonds and gemstones online.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/12/2006 11:27:15 PM
Author: Bianca07
Hi I just had a very bad experience with Whitehall jewelers in the mall. Good Luck!
I would also stay away from Samuel''s Jewelers. Their customer service is wonderful, but I''ve had problems with the quality of their work and the constant losing of diamond stones in tennis bracelets...they''ve been wonderful in replacing them, but that shouldn''t be happening to begin with.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Agape and XChick03, I really MISS Belden Jewelers. For our one year anniversary I went into Belden to get my husband a watch. While I was in there, I looked at some other things (naturally) and on our anniversary when I opened up my little gift, it was the very amethyst ring I had admired at the store. My husband went shopping for me after I went shopping for him, and our sales person led him to that ring without letting on that I had gotten him anything. I can't believe she was able to figure out that he was my husband, but our stories must have been similar enough that she picked up on it. He had no clue he was getting anything from that store, although he knew I had been shopping there and what I wanted. We were both so pleasantly surprised, and our salesperson was wonderful. It has been a long time since I've thought about that story. My husband is out of town for the next few days, so I'm glad to relive that memory.
1.gif

I'm actually getting something from Kay this week. I'm getting two very delicate stack diamond rings to put on either side of my band, and I have looked EVERYwhere for months, including Sam's Club and Overstock.com. Kay had the best price and can do the sizing and soldering and rhodium dipping (which they are doing for free). Sometimes you just can't beat those mall stores. They have all that buying power behind them and if you get the right sales person they are really motivated to close the deal.

I think luck does definitely play into it but being knowledgable tips the scales wherever you buy.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Lumpkin you have to post pictures when you get them. I was thinking of doing something along those lines.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I will do that. I''m going to put them in layaway because I just spent my mad money elsewhere and when I went in to look I really didn''t expect to find anything. Just actually taking some time to look at the spring clothing, and wandered in. I''ll bet they''d let me take some photos once they have the rings on layaway though, so when I go in I''ll take my camera. I''m really excited and giddy over it, and it''s such a little nothing purchase compared to the new engagement rings, but I think it''s just what my diamond and band need.

Sorry for the hijack!

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
I, for one, would NEVER buy from a mall store. My brother got his princess from Alvin''s, and not only did he pay more (about $300-$400) for a smaller stone (.10 smaller) but its way less brilliant than the one I recieved from GOG--mine outshines, outperforms, and blows his stone away. B&m''s sell crap for high prices--why pay the middle man?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mall stores generally carry jewelry that appeals to the masses - not the discriminating buyer. I have dealt with one in particular and they have been more than happy to get things in for me - not just the jewelry in their cases. However, their prices are generally through the roof. When they have their own credit system - i. e. 20% down and 0% interest for twelve months - someone has to pay for that. That someone is every purchaser that comes through their door. That coupled with their high overhead which includes rent in malls, security, insurance, etc. means that their merchandise has to have a high markup. My guess is that their financing along with foot traffic exposure makes them more appealing. The real truth is that that financing costs money. Online purchasing is definitely on the upswing - these types of forums certainly allay people''s fears of buying that way. However, you have to have cash in hand or be prepared to charge your purchase on a credit card and pay credit card interest if you can''t pay off the balance. Even at that, though, I would bet that in the end you would come out ahead financially. You are certain to get better value for your diamond dollar in terms of the product you would buy. One mall store in particular has their employees giving out their business cards - and they are titled as "Diamondologists''. What is that?!?!?!? Someone that has been through three hours of training in the 4 c''s? If I were to make a large purchase today knowing what I know, I would at least be looking for a jeweler that sells certed stones - and I mean AGS and GIA - not some of these fly by night labs that give soft grading to poor stones. Many of us here started out buying at stores - we did not have the advantage of PS or online shopping. If you are just beginning to make diamond purchases, by all means check out all of your options before making a decision. Just remember to compare apples to apples in order to make a fair determination. A 1 ct. H VS2 stone is not comparable to a 1 ct. H VS2 stone if you don''t have cut information on both.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/13/2006 1:46:23 AM
Author: Daniel B
I, for one, would NEVER buy from a mall store. My brother got his princess from Alvin''s, and not only did he pay more (about $300-$400) for a smaller stone (.10 smaller) but its way less brilliant than the one I recieved from GOG--mine outshines, outperforms, and blows his stone away. B&m''s sell crap for high prices--why pay the middle man?
I disagree with that statement simply because there are really educated and highly regarded B&Ms out there. Few, but they exist. The B&M I bought my Jubilee from was very knowledgeable and only specialized in carrying better to ideal cuts. I was able to compare a Jubilee to an AGS000 H&A round to a AGS0 princess cut. Also, the price was very comparable if not lower, than what I would have paid for online.

Mall stores are a completely different story however...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recieved from GOG--mine outshines, outperforms, and blows his stone away. B&m''s sell crap for high prices--why pay the middle man?

daniel b- did you forget GOG IS a B & M?
2.gif

I think educating youself is the best thing you can do. Many mall/chain stores do not provide and are unwilling to provide a lot of the info that those who have found PS desire. Once you are more educated you learn the right questions to ask then you can decide where the best place for you to purchase is. Mall stores can be a great place to go and try on settings too.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
I''m with lumpkin. i do buy from mall stores, and many are quite good. I have a stunning excellent cut stone from zales, my leverbacks and two-tone pave ring are from jareds, and my studs and and my latest wrap is from helzberg.

You have to take your portable knowledge, a loupe, and know what you are doing -- I developed an eye for good quality. Also sometimes I have to put things on layaway so I know zales, jared''s and helzberg will work with me.

helzberg asked me if I wanted a summer job. giggle.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/13/2006 8:08:38 AM
Author: Princess V

I disagree with that statement simply because there are really educated and highly regarded B&Ms out there. Few, but they exist. The B&M I bought my Jubilee from was very knowledgeable and only specialized in carrying better to ideal cuts. I was able to compare a Jubilee to an AGS000 H&A round to a AGS0 princess cut. Also, the price was very comparable if not lower, than what I would have paid for online.

The highlighted statement above really struck a nerve with me. Please remember that there are thousands of independent family owned jewelry stores in America. Many families started out with next to no inventory and built successful stores by earning the trust of their neighbors and friends. There are many knowledgable and honest jewelers who strive to give you expert advice and sell at very competitive prices. Most AGS stores are second and third generation.
When I started out in the family business in 1978, a local jeweler was as respected in the community as the local banker. Times have changed. Just don''t trash the brick and mortars!! On line vendors and the brick and mortars can and should happily co-exist. My 0.02 cents.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2006 8:12:26 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant

Date: 2/13/2006 8:08:38 AM
Author: Princess V

I, for one, would NEVER buy from a mall store. My brother got his princess from Alvin's, and not only did he pay more (about $300-$400) for a smaller stone (.10 smaller) but its way less brilliant than the one I recieved from GOG--mine outshines, outperforms, and blows his stone away. B&m's sell crap for high prices--why pay the middle man?

The highlighted statement above really struck a nerve with me. Please remember that there are thousands of independent family owned jewelry stores in America. Many families started out with next to no inventory and built successful stores by earning the trust of their neighbors and friends. There are many knowledgable and honest jewelers who strive to give you expert advice and sell at very competitive prices. Most AGS stores are second and third generation.
When I started out in the family business in 1978, a local jeweler was as respected in the community as the local banker. Times have changed. Just don't trash the brick and mortars!! On line vendors and the brick and mortars can and should happily co-exist. My 0.02 cents.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com
i am only going by what I have seen. Yours and other's experiences are going to be different than mine. I probably should have stated that the ones I HAVE been to did not do it for me--I havent been to all of the ones you have so you may have different opinoins. It has been my consistant experience with stores like JB Robinson's, Kays, and a few others in the mall that they sold, a greater percentage of the time, lower quality at higher prices, and I knew more about diamonds than they did (which is sad because Im relatively new at this). And you do pay the middle man or mark up prices when you buy from the mall, theres no disputing that. Thats all I said- nothing new.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Can someone please tell me what happend to PMs?
I started my own thread on this and it somehow disappeared...I don''t know what is going on.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Independent family owned jewelry stores are one thing - mall chains are something else. There is no comparison of the two imo. Unfortunately, the independent family owned jewelry stores in this country are dwindling. They went the way of many ''downtowns'' and were replaced by malls with several chain jewelery stores.
Personally, I would always choose that independent jeweler. Strictly internet jewelers can quite often offer that lower price because they don''t have the high overhead but you truly lose that personal touch. You lose the ability to go in, see all of the merchandise (which also means being able to try it on) and the service of a jeweler. Do you absolutely need this? No - I just prefer having it if possible. I do not, however, equate this with buying from a mall store where the clerk truly does know less than you do about diamonds. That may not apply to all mall stores and all employees of mall stores but that has been my overall experience with them. As we have heard, there have been folks that have bought from these stores and felt that they got great jewelry at fair prices. I guess that''s what makes the world go ''round - we are all different. Thank goodness we have options when it comes to buying!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gonzo.....go to the Diamond Hangout and you''ll see a thread about disabling PMs. They said it was a security issue. I was sorry to see them go as I had very positive experiences receiving PMs from some great PSer''s. But such is life........

And to Snowgirl..........The question should be would you buy from a B & M, not just mall stores. There are many fine stores you can buy from with confidence and there are the national chains. For me, a national chain is for the person who thinks the Cheesecake Factory is fine dining. As far as I''m concerned, I don''t eat where they give you vibrator to let you know your table is ready and I''m a much better educated consumer than the average guy when it comes to diamonds.

Agape

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/12/2006 11:27:15 PM
Author: Bianca07
Hi I just had a very bad experience with Whitehall jewelers in the mall. Their stones were very poor quality, so please just be careful and stay away from Whitehall. Of course I was ignorant and almost allowed them to scam me
emdgust.gif

I am sure you will get some great advice here from people who know their diamonds as they have helped me here immensely.
emotion-5.gif

Good Luck!
The one in my area just went out of business, in a huge busy mall.

Agape

Rough_Rock
I have to reply to my own post here, as a follow up to my post earlier in this thread. I do love my rings, now that I FINALLY have them. I had to order my half eternity band the day I had the semi mount done. The first one that came back was a totally different ring and the wrong size. The next one was closer, but a different number of stones, which did not match in size to the semimount. Still wrong size. The third call I got to pick up my ring, I go in there and the lady pulls out the correct ring in the wrong size. I soon figured out that this was the stock ring because it had a price on it and my special order rings did not. OK, at this point, this girl has had it! I called their corporate office. I got a call from the store in 20 minutes saying that someone had put MY ring in UNDERSTOCK and the UNDERSTOCK ring in my special order bag! At this point, I am speechless. I did let them know I was not happy but did not want to make a scene. (my husband thinks I should have!.)

As the are getting the paperwork together, I was looking at the jewelery cleaners. I said loud to my husband I needed to get some new cleaner because mine was getting old. The MANAGER looked up and said, would you like for me to ring that up for you? For real, could I have at least got a free bottle of cleaner for my 5 months of trouble?

I am venting, but also warning about maul stores and asking what you would have done, or if you have any ideas on what I should do now. It is not that I want free stuff (that would be nice) I just want to be made to feel like a valued customer when I am spending thousands of dollars! I am VERY thankful that I did not buy my solitare there. No telling what I would have had to go through!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results