shape
carat
color
clarity

Mall Jewelry store featuring ring designer?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alirogers20

Rough_Rock
I went to the mall last night just to try some settings on (the prices- WOWZER!)

In any event, Whitehall Co here where I live is featuring a ring designer on Fri/Sat who displays empty settings, and can put your diamond(s) in on the spot. They were able to show me a setting he''d made- it was much more intricate/detailed than the "mall" jewelry store settings.

I didn''t even THINK to ask for the designer''s name, but does anyone have any insight (ie don''t bother!) or should I just go and browse?

Thanks!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is known in the trade as a ‘remount show’.

Manufacturers will make up a set of designs and go into a store with a selection of their merchandise, a jeweler to set things while you wait and will usually bring a sales person to assist. It’s a pretty fun event. Go in and browse. With the possible exception of crankydave (a regular poster here), jewelers don’t usually bite.
Some designers are better than others, as are some setters, but it’s good fun to look and see what they have. Use good shopping skills and you’ll find that it’s a good opportunity to see different styles. You might just find something you love. In general, I don’t recommend having the setters do difficult jobs during these shows. The problem isn’t that these companies won’t hire good setters but rather that the time pressure at these events can get pretty intense and it’s not the kind of environment where most people will do their best work.

These events also can sometimes provide the opportunity to meet with the designer. They get to be celebrities for a little while and you get the opportunity to meet the person who designed your treasure.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
That is a brilliant idea

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The guy I have do my setting work localy did that for many years untill he got enough work from other jewelers that he didnt need too.
Its a lot of hassle for them but some nice $$ to be made too.

Jimbo34

Rough_Rock
Be careful though, I have noticed they have some over priced diamonds also at those restyling shows to mount in those settings.

We went to a few and really didn''t see any bargains.

Jimbo34

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results