shape
carat
color
clarity

Mall Jeweler "fingered" my diamond - Aak

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went to the mall after work to try on 2mm, 3mm and 4mm comfort fit bands with my solitaire ering. 3 stores only had them in men's sizes so they were way too big for me but at one of the stores the sales lady picked up my solitaire ring by the bottom and top of the diamond to see the size of my band. I immediately said "you touched my diamond!" She looked at me like I was crazy and offered to clean it. I declined and moved on. I texted a friend of mine who is finding the entire incident very funny. She offered to take it off my hands if it's ruined. I knew you guys would understand though. What was she thinking?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would have made her clean it. Twice.

Right after I had my SK reset I was in a local store trying on plain 2mm platinum bands. Jeweler (who was the owner!) picked up my setting and louped the pave and then complimented it... I swear you to you all I could think was "GET YOUR HANDS OFF THE TABLE OF MY FREAKING DIAMOND"... I thanked him for the compliment then asked him to clean it.

He said they don't clean outside pave in house.

So I looked at him and said, " Then you probably shouldn't go around touching other people's jewelry without their permission. You put your finger right on my diamond and now you are refusing to clean it? Really? "

He cleaned it (in the steam cleaner NOT the ultrasonic that he was first headed for). I think he was scared of me. And I was happy about that and even made him give me his loupe so I could make sure it was clean enough when he gave it back to me. :devil:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy, good for you making him clean it then using a loupe on it when he was done. You'd seriously think a jeweler would know better and they should never touch someone's jewelry without asking permission. I was sure thinking of a lot of things to say but I tried to remain calm.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I hate that! My mom is the worst culprit I know. She always pokes my diamonds when she's looking at them! I just let her, then wash it off later. She thinks jewelry needs cleaning about once a decade whether it needs it or not :roll:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn't it strange that people love to reach out and touch the table of diamonds?! It's like some sort of compulsion!

I love that you called her out though, marcy! Same for you, Gypsy-hilarious!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly Thing, I wouldn't have said anything if the guy hadn't refused to clean it after manhandling it! And if he wasn't a jeweler.

Regular people stick their fingers on my diamonds... fine. I can wipe it or clean it later. But when you own a jewelry store and you pick up my ring without asking me if it's okay (which I think is rude anyway) and then stick your nasty fingers on my diamond AND THEN REFUSE To CLEAN IT. I don't think so.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had this happen at a jewelry store once, and I was SO upset. The sales associate reached out and touched the diamond while complimenting it. I was like this :errrr:

It could be even worse though--once a jeweler was taking my ring to clean it, and she DROPPED the entire ring on the glass counter. I was terrified she chipped my diamond or damaged the setting somehow. She didn't even seem apologetic.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Aww, it's ok. Just ask them out to breakfast, lick your fork, then poke the centers of their sunny side up eggs without asking first.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
LOL! You and your diamond must feel so violated. Did you clean your ring when you got home? Ugh stranger germs/oil. :knockout:

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
My first engagement ring was a too-dark sapphire (what can you expect for $500?) And my ex-husband's favorite place to put his thumb when we held hands was right on top of it.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I...don't get it why this makes people upset? I wouldn't exactly like it, but I wouldn't be all pissed off. Is it hard to clean fingerprints off diamonds? I guess I never noticed.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1312338362|2982774 said:
I...don't get it why this makes people upset? I wouldn't exactly like it, but I wouldn't be all pissed off. Is it hard to clean fingerprints off diamonds? I guess I never noticed.

Ditto to this

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Ditto; it wouldn't bother me that much, but I regularly get hand sanitizer grease all over my diamond, so I'm not at all anal about keeping it clean. To each your own, I guess.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
similar thing happened to me! I went to a local shop to find a 1.5-2mm white gold band to buy as a spacer and the jeweler goes- since you are here let me check your setting and clean it up. I didnt want to be rude but I cringed as he did the work. He remarked on how nice the stone was and how the setting was nice and tight and then cleaned it, but still!!!! lol

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

I actually thought this was funny because of the way she said it. I'm up for a free cleaning anytime. :bigsmile:

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
texaskj|1312338210|2982772 said:
My first engagement ring was a too-dark sapphire (what can you expect for $500?) And my ex-husband's favorite place to put his thumb when we held hands was right on top of it.

OMG, this is exactly where my fiance puts his fingers on too! and he will keep tapping it... I was like, REALLY?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
platinumrock|1312339314|2982787 said:

I actually thought this was funny because of the way she said it. I'm up for a free cleaning anytime. :bigsmile:

Maybe the diamond needs counseling now.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
What's really annoying is that these people are jewelers so they should really know better!! Once I was about to leave the house with DH and realized I didn't have my e-ring so yelled down the hall to him to get it on his way out of the bedroom. He came out with the diamond between his finger. What?! I went "eeek" and ran to clean it, making us late. Seriously, grab the metal not the diamond!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LGK, my husband likes to touch my diamond and he’s the only one I let get away with it. I know a lot of people who never clean their diamonds.

Thing2of2, yes some people seem to want to tab the table of a diamond or gemstone when they are talking about it. Depends on who it is how irritated I get or if I say anything.

Gypsy, I guess I expect more at a jewelry store.

Laila619, she should have at least apologized for dropping you ring and checked it over for you.

TristanC, too funny about getting their breakfast.

Platinumrock, I soaked my ring in warm water with dawn, then windex water then got out my jewel jet. Yes, I am OCD about clean diamonds.

Texaskj, I bet you cleaned your ring a lot.

MonkeyPIe, Autumnovember and Jstarfireb it doesn’t really make me angry but I don’t like it. I just clean it off.

Amys Bling, it’s nice they offer to clean our rings but I often pass on it since I prefer to clean it myself.

Minmin001, it’s a natural place to put your fingers when you are holding hands. Luckily my husband is the only one that can get away with it.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1312340676|2982801 said:
platinumrock|1312339314|2982787 said:

Maybe the diamond needs counseling now.

"It's not your fault....It's not your fault."

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Monkey... admittedly I may have been pissed because this was the same jeweler that insulted my watch as well. I really don't like them but they are so close to me and they carry a lot of great brands. I've stopped going there altogether though. They do something that's irritating every time.

Most people don't put their fingers on my engagement ring, including my husband. But my Aurora Band is like a finger print magnet. Everyone touches it. But it also hides the prints so it doesn't bug me much at all.

But to answer your question:

A) I get sick really easily so I don't care for people's hands altogether touching me or anything of mine. I'm very big into my personal space and my engagement ring, even when it is sitting on the jeweler's counter is part of me. Unless I am at a PS GTG or with PSers I don't care for any one to touch my jewelry.

but... the big thing is...

B) I'm an asscher owner. Look up some of the old asscher pet peeve threads on here. Asschers are hard to keep clean because they are like mirrors reflecting every little thing. Most asscher owners I know are must more aware of their diamond cleanliness than folks who own brilliant cuts. Our diamonds look like crap when they are dirty. And get dirty REALLY easily.

I no longer even CARRY hand lotion, as I use it (take ring off use the lotion) and then get prints on my stone and smudges. But I also don't wear my engagement ring to some places (doctor's office or supermarket) where I use hand sanitizer a lot. Cause it just means a session with Dawn and a toothbrush when I get home.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
platinumrock|1312337997|2982770 said:
LOL! You and your diamond must feel so violated. Did you clean your ring when you got home? Ugh stranger germs/oil. :knockout:

Is this serious or joking?

Living in China has absolutely reformed me of any germophobia. There's no way to function here and hold on to that. Each of us is "stranger germs and oil" to someone else that we don't know. The likelihood is that they are equivalent to us.

I also don't quite get the obsession of diamond clean. None of this thread really makes sense to me! I mean I thought I liked a clean diamond, but I guess I always thought the comments to this extent were kidding. I would have made the same comment that gypsy made because I was irritated, but I'm pissy when I'm irritated.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
This reminds me of the time I showed my MIL my anniversary ring and RHR diamond ring. She got smudges all over the diamonds (since this was during dinner) but it was fine since I could just clean them later. At one point though, she compared the diamonds side by side... I couldn't help but cringe, because I swear she rubbed the diamond girdles together. I was really tempted to say something, but had to bite my tongue. :nono:

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1312347478|2982870 said:
Monkey... admittedly I may have been pissed because this was the same jeweler that insulted my watch as well. I really don't like them but they are so close to me and they carry a lot of great brands. I've stopped going there altogether though. They do something that's irritating every time.

Lol I recall you mentioning them before. I would totally understand then - I hadn't thought about asschers have more flat surfaces, either. I guess RB's only have one small flat surface and I guess I never noticed fingerprints...now I probably will and it's going to drive me nuts!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock

This. I get the whole principle of people touching things that don't belong to them being wrong, but there are worse things in the world. If that ruins your day then you need to get a little perspective.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1312376515|2983025 said:

This. I get the whole principle of people touching things that don't belong to them being wrong, but there are worse things in the world. If that ruins your day then you need to get a little perspective.

For those of us that said we don't like it-- ruining our day is a bit of an exaggeration. I just don't like other people asking me to take off my diamond so they can look at it and proceed to handle it. I dont think anyone here is of the perspective that having someone touch our diamond is the end of the world.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1312379517|2983053 said:

For those of us that said we don't like it-- ruining our day is a bit of an exaggeration. I just don't like other people asking me to take off my diamond so they can look at it and proceed to handle it. I dont think anyone here is of the perspective that having someone touch our diamond is the end of the world.

I guess we both must have missed where everyone said their day was ruined by this and that it's the worst thing ever.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Cehrabehra|1312364900|2982961 said:
platinumrock|1312337997|2982770 said:

Is this serious or joking?

Living in China has absolutely reformed me of any germophobia. There's no way to function here and hold on to that. Each of us is "stranger germs and oil" to someone else that we don't know. The likelihood is that they are equivalent to us.

I also don't quite get the obsession of diamond clean. None of this thread really makes sense to me! I mean I thought I liked a clean diamond, but I guess I always thought the comments to this extent were kidding. I would have made the same comment that gypsy made because I was irritated, but I'm pissy when I'm irritated.

It was in good fun. The title of her thread made me laugh so I was trying to sympathize since this situation really bothered her. I used to be an elementary teacher so I'm used to other people's germs/oil.

Honestly, I don't really see what the big deal is. She's just venting about something that bothered her. It may seem trivial to others but to that person, it can really ruin their day.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1312379517|2983053 said:

You could always just say no...right? I mean, no one is making you hand it over.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
There are all these comments that jewelers should know better!People come on now...many of the people that you are dealing with that work in jewelry store have little training/ product education on what it is they are selling...what makes you think they know much about how to handle or clean your valuable jewelry?Seriously...this is why i always get on my soap box about learning to clean your own jewelry.After working in the trade trying to train people how to properly present,sell,handle and clean fine jewelry i would never give my jewelry to some stranger to clean.Most of the people who offer to clean your jewelry are given the speed course in how to clean a diamond ring...basically it is to throw it in an ultrasonic cleaner that has had a 100 other customers jewelry in it that day...this is basically to give them time to sell you something or to help others while you are held captive in the store.They then need to get back to the sales floor as fast as possible after soaking the ring... so most sales people(these are not jewelers)attack it with a toothbrush that is made to clean your teeth not your fine jewelry and give it a fast hard brushing that in most cases makes it shine temporary but can loosen small stones,bend small prong work and scratch high polished surfaces.For some people working in jewelry stores is just a selling job and properly cleaning a ring takes more time then many salespeople either have or want to give.They want to be selling jewelry ,not cleaning it.A lot of these people have no clue how to ask permission from a person BEFORE picking up their jewelry to handle it or even that asking personal questions about their jewelry can be seen as intrusive or rude.I always pick rings up by the band and necklaces or bracelets up by the clasp ends directly over a pad.I always take a persons jewelry to the cleaning room on a pad.If a sales person asks to clean your jewelry ask them to check for loose stones in front of you...it will give you a clue about how much they actually know about properly cleaning and checking prong work on jewelry .Asking the sales person to verbally walk you through the steps of how they are going to clean your ring will also be an indication of how much they know about taking care of your jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results