shape
carat
color
clarity

making my own tin cup necklace - help please

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
HI

I am after a fun piece that is relatively low cost. i have been looking for ages but nothing matches what i want in either price or if the price is right in look.

I have sourced some great 7mm white pearls ( 7 pearls):love: from one of our vendors here
and can get a great yellow gold chain - 16 inch with an extension for 18 inches.

The pearls can come drilled - I am after a dainty floaty look - not to many pearl. I was going to buy but the AUD is making it a not attractive option at the moment. SOOOOOOO....
if I was going to do this what do I need and where can I buy this

I am really keen to do this ... a list of tools and materials and some instructions would be great... Do you think this is realistic for a beginner??

many thanks:wavey:
D2B

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Go to a local bead shop and pick up round nose pliers for wire work and a pair of wire cutters. All jewellery grade.
Pick up some 24 or 26 gauge gold filled wire. You can practise or use this temporarily until you get good enough at wire wrapping to use real gold wire (which is quite expensive btw). The pearls will likely need 26 gauge - hopefully not 28, but that is a possibility.
I would also pick up some cheap chain to practise on for lengths between pearls. They sell bead trays that will make all of this easy peasey - they have grooves and ruled markings or plain ones just have foam.
Go to YouTube and watch how to do wire wraps and practise. It's not hard once you try a time or two.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
I typically try to use half hard wire. It won't bend out of shape when bumped as soft will. Take the pearls with you to see which gauge of wire will go through.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much ... appreciate all the ideas begonia. I am quite excited to give it a go

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
You may want to check out local bead shops for classes on wire wrapping, that it how I learned, in a hour one on one class.
The good filled wire matches 14k chain and doesn't tarnish.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I had bought a broken 14k rolo chain from ebay and made my with scrap gold. You destroy the chain anyway cutting it into segments, the clasp is already attached so you don't have to add one like you do with chain by the yard . Win win and cheaper too.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Oh for sure. Beading is very relaxing and rewarding. I've torn apart most of my jewellery and remade it into new pieces. Wire wrapping is the basis of beading, so be patient while you learn that basic skill.

Last edited:

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
If you have a clasp and O ring that need attaching to the chain, you can buy split O rings, or what I like to do is wire wrap a small pearl between the chain and the clasp. More secure than a split ring. Pretty too. A nice touch is to dangle a tiny pearl from the clasp. Fancies up the back a bit.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've made a few of these :)

All the above suggestions are great. I would add that it's a good idea to wrap the wire around a few times after you make your loop to make the link stronger.

Definitely use half hard wire. If you pick a silver chain, make sure you get something rhodium plated as it WILL tarnish over time.

I tend to use a fine cable chain as I count links between pearls to keep it all evenly spaced.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You can find lots of videos on Youtube if you don't have a bead shop near you. I did the same as Nacrelover - years ago I took an hour class at a bead shop to learn how to wire wrap and finish off a necklace. Now there are lots of Youtube videos from some of the large bead suppliers ...like Beadalon.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results