shape
carat
color
clarity

Making an important emerald purchase

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
I have a big anniversary coming up and I’m looking at two different emerald rings. The price points are pretty different but both within budget and I’m not sure what to do/which to choose.

Ring A is 2.26ct in the emerald, no cert, assumed oiled. 180921DB-8F78-4D84-B783-127CF60E9BF6.jpeg

Ring B is 2.45 in the emerald, GIA cert.
88DB29FB-BD96-4419-B4EC-D70302AECCA5.jpeg
188D9F75-D934-4CC9-84FF-B147DE6CA301.jpeg
8270D638-32DD-4700-8FFD-C26BC5EA114F.jpeg

What should I be looking for? What should I be considering? Any feedback is welcome!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personal opinion - stone and setting both strictly on aesthetics, ring B, hands down.

Facts and price, im sure it’s another story, and also more important.

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary and what an awesome way to celebrate!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Ring B. The proportions really appeal to me, the emerald colour, the double claws. It just feels a better class, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Whichever you go for, you're a lucky bunny!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer Ring A as I prefer leaner ECs than chubby ones; and the colour is nicer to me.

Personal opinion and preferences and all that.

DK :))

syd33

Shiny_Rock
Both look beautiful to me but I love emeralds of all shapes, sizes and colors. Personally I like Ring A better, but I prefer to wear rings with a thicker shank and although I love the look of claw prongs, I hate when they snag my sweaters...which some do so based on those things, A wins for me.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are very pretty. Aesthetics aside, I personally would not purchase A unless the sale was contingent upon a reputable lab certifying no more than a certain level of clarity enhancement and no other treatments. Ring B states minor, which is very good imo. (I say this not knowing the price difference but assume neither is inexpensive.)

I noticed that GIA report doesn't specify type of clarity enhancement, if that is important to you. Some insist on traditional oil only whereas some are ok with/prefer certain modern treatments as they are more permanent. Fwiw mine is AGL certified modern/minor and I am good with it...degree of treatment was most important to me.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I am personally wary of buying anything over $500 that's not from a vendor/person I've done business with and trust that does not come with a reputable report.

The proportions of Ring A appeals to me more, but I am personally paranoid of synthetic gemstones. If ring A were over $500 I wouldn't even consider it unless the vendor very specifically promises that I can return it any time, no limit on the time window, if a reputable lab finds it to be other than what was represented, i.e. synthetic or higher level of treatment than I tolerate.

Especially these days...before coronavirus, you could get quick turn arounds on lab reports if you're located near GIA or AGL and just hand them the stone in person, but I don't even know if those labs are open right now (I would suspect not), and the hassle of potentially having to return a purchase, at least for me, would make me not even consider Ring A when we're on economic lockdown.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I like "Ring A" much more but It would have to be certed,
which might? be an impossible task right now.

What are you personally leaning towards?
=)

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the style of the second one better, but I'm not crazy about the dark spots in the stone. I would also want to know what type of treatment it had.

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
I like "Ring A" much more but It would have to be certed,
which might? be an impossible task right now.

What are you personally leaning towards?
=)

Ugh I’m so torn. I slightly prefer the proportions and shape of B, but there’s a dramatic price difference between that ring and A.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since neither one is really calling your name, maybe keep searching?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I prefer ring B based on these photos. I love the shape and colour as well as the design of the ring. Is it your hand modelling ring B?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Of course, I would need to see a report for A.

The pictures are difficult to compare since they are taken in different light. The A stone seems cleaner and lighter, perhaps; the darker, textured green of B looks very nice in the brighter light!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
This is probably a very silly question, but how do I go about asking them to certify the emerald in ring A? Offer to pay for the cert?

It looks like all of the USA GIA offices are currently closed so that throws a wrench into things.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is probably a very silly question, but how do I go about asking them to certify the emerald in ring A? Offer to pay for the cert?

It looks like all of the USA GIA offices are currently closed so that throws a wrench into things.

You probably won't be able to send anything to them, I've had something that I want to buy (that a vendor has) sitting at GIA NY for 8+ weeks now probably closer to 10 weeks so they are not going to be a fast option.

Someone like Dave Atlas instead perhaps who is a valuer might be better if he is still open.... The first stone looks like a real not a synthetic emerald, what you are trying to establish is the level of treatment, ie minor, moderate or a lot of oil because each impacts the price you should be paying for the ring. David would be able to let you know the level of treatment and a fair price for the ring.

Link;

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
So I went and looked at ring A today. It’s a lovely stone and has a great luster and tone. The seller committed that he would accept a return at any time and full refund if I certed the stone and it came back as anything other than light oil treatment.

Pics in indoor incandescent light: 3297062D-659C-4625-ACC4-187D9A82B8D1.jpeg BD8D7B7E-72C2-489E-95BB-7848B5CC0A72.jpeg

Pics taken outdoors in indirect light on a sunny day:
96ED075A-B871-4A4B-B8E3-C1EDE2E25DF1.jpeg 549BDC0A-E135-4546-B3B3-DD7E40BA83D2.jpeg

I really do love it but I’m waiting to see ring B in person on Wednesday before making a decision. Like I mentioned, there’s a significant price difference between the two pieces so I want to be sure I’m all-in for whichever one I choose!

Thank you everyone for your advice so far. Will update again on Wednesday!

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Not really in love with A.
I can't wait to see B on your hand, I like a more squarish stone and those double claw prongs!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I like both but what nice emerald do I not love?:))) I have preferred B slightly because of some features on the setting and the quality of the stone, color etc. but emeralds do photograph terribly.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
They both seem to have a lot of visible inclusions, is that usual for emeralds? Would they bother you?

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
They both seem to have a lot of visible inclusions, is that usual for emeralds? Would they bother you?
It’s completely par for the course for emeralds. A flawless emerald - well, those that do exist, command prices on par with the GDP of a small Eastern European country, or belong in a museum.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
It’s completely par for the course for emeralds. A flawless emerald - well, those that do exist, command prices on par with the GDP of a small Eastern European country, or belong in a museum.

Oh wow! Hmm now I kinda want to see one lol

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Ring A has a nicer color to my eyes, a lovely slightly bluish green with medium tone and intense saturation. Ring B has a darker, more vivid emerald but I doubt it will hold as well as ring A in all lights. I might be wrong...

Anyway, no cert no business. If you can wait, have ring A sent to a lab when things are back to normal and if the oiling is minor, I say go for it :)

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful choices! [hard!]

@Polabowla Pass by the Prado; I assume these things - www [see IS # 3, 4 & 8] are comparable in every way, & the color on my screen in not as intense as what I remember, the jewels look defaced ,(

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Or it could be synthetic, and cheap. Flawless emerald still would not command as high price as flawless ruby if both are natural. As @T L says, top emerald are still "reasonable" compared to top corundum.

Oh wow! Hmm now I kinda want to see one lol
Look at @elle_71125's thread in Fabulous Fashion Jewelry on synthetic CS. There are breathtaking lab emeralds there that are "flawless". Of course the best emeralds have "sheen" ("gota de aceite"), and those are caused by microscopic inclusions.

t86

Shiny_Rock
I vote for B!

Not to throw a wrench in things, but have you seen this ring by Diamonds by Lauren? I tried it on in person and it's beautiful. The color is much better in person. And the price can't be beat!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results