shape
carat
color
clarity

Mailing gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Oh MY GOD!!! I read in depth-3 times the USPS website in order to learn how to mail my rock to Morrell. I wrote down all the things I needed to do-first class-reg mail-insurance and sig receipt. I go to the post office and buy from them a cool tube to send it in.

I stand in line and ask the dude to send it with all the above services and all I get is lip!-"No too many services, can''t be done" "Insurance max is only 5k" "Can''t use a tube" Blah blah "Must use a box" "But we don''t sell the boxes and I can''t tell you were to get one. Blah blah" "You need paper tape "Blah blah"

To which I responded ever so sweetly. Hey your website says I can do this. Then he says "it is wrong." and I say "Stupid *&^#ing website" and walk out. :)

Then I call the usps and the first guy hangs up on me. Hehehe
Then I call again and the second guy was still horribly rude but said the post office dude was wrong and I can send my tube with all my services but not a sig receipt. Apparantly, tubes are just too cool to sign for. But being reg and insured I ain''t worried.

So I went to another Post office. And yes it took a real long time. The guy put brown paper tape around the tube ends and stamped it and put all the cool stickers on it. Turned out the tube was better as a little box would not have fit all that paper work. Anyway, he was super cool and said the other post office guy did not want to do the work probably.

Anyhoo, There has got to be a better way to ensure our gems are safe. I paid 20 bucks to mail and that included the tube so I can''t complain about the cost but the service!

Anyone recommend a better way?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
unfortunately, the brown tape (pun intended) struggle you went through is the only way to fully insure (yeah..another bad pun) that your gems arrive safe. you could take a risk using a different and less expensive method, but registered mail is the safest.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have a better way, wish I did. I go out of my way to a small post office where the guy is super nice and has always gone out of his way to help me out. Paper tape, boxes etc.. I always say thank you so much you have taken a load off my mind. I have had to send my asscher ring back twice and am always a wreck doing so. I guess this post office is used to sending a lot of high end stuff. Cause he looked at some other boxes and told me the value of each of them way more than my box and it''s contents.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
last time i gave in and went to UPS and mailed it overnight AM fully insured to WF...UPS will take jewelry, not loose stones. claims could be tricky. i asked the gal if they ever lose packages like this and she said ''nothing insured for this much $$''. so i felt better.

that is part of the reason why this next time i''m just going to WF to do the switcheroo, i don''t want to deal with the hassle and stress and it''s a cool trip too.
2.gif

Slykat12

Shiny_Rock
Yeah but Morrell is on the other coast! Way too far for a road trip.
I was just shocked at how misinformed and unhelpful the mail persons were.

That is interesting about ups no single gems only jewelry. I would think it would be the other way around.

Well I am def going to get a local jeweler to work on the beni and the demantoid.

If I lived near a good place like wf I would be drooling over their stuff on a daily basis. Prob better I am far.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah I hate the hassle of shipping in a ring! I had to ship mine in to Quest and about died for 2 days waiting on it to get there (not to mention I probably drove the guys nutzo at Quest constantly calling!)

Next time I''m going to use FedEx thats what Quest recommended anyway.
20.gif
If I don''t decide to go in myself.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/7/2006 10:16:34 PM
Author: Kimberly
Yeah but Morrell is on the other coast! Way too far for a road trip.
I
i see the need for a new business venture: transporting pricescopers'' beloved jewels and see America at the same time!

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results