shape
carat
color
clarity

Mahenge spinel open ring is here!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
and I feel like it deserves its' own thread, as they are my first spinels period, and beautiful. I'm very happy with how this one turned out. The gems are the largest that I've used for this style ring and I think the max size I would want. They are 4.55 mm each. No windows, even the tilt windows are hard to see on these gems. They are Portuguese cut which is always extra hard for me to photograph, but I sure tried (lots of pics to follow!!). The only real "issue" with these is some extinction but it's not enough to bother me. The color is very nice in my (limited) opinion, but they look better than I can get them to show in the pics. Brighter and pinker. In indoor lighting they look more strawberry neon-like to me than they do in sunlight, and I don't know if that's normal or not, but I see a deeper color indoors. They don't look orange or brown to me at all, in any lighting, but I'm not good with seeing secondary hues until they're pointed out to me, lol. I certainly don't mind any critiques though, I'm always very interested in learning more about my gems and appreciate any opinions.

Long store long...Basically I think they're beautiful! :)

I took pics in indirect sunlight as well so I will post both.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Outdoor/indirect sunlight (pictured with my yellow sapphires, both rings set in 14k yellow gold)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Indoor lighting, no outside lighting influence at all

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Some fun pics with the other open rings (all natural sunlight on these)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Last pics, color mish mash!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
So that's it from me tonight, hope someone enjoys the pics :) I'm really pretty bad with pics, these were all taken from my iphone. I can never do gems justice, but I have to try, lol. These little spinels aren't as bright as I know that they get, but they are nicely cut and I was quite happy with the price I paid for them. They look bright in any lighting too, which is pretty neat. Goodnight all!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Very nice!I really like that design. Who made them?

chieftd

Rough_Rock
Great design! May I know who designed them or who sells them? I'd like to look into one for my wife. :)

Thanks much, Tim in Hawaii

katharath

Ideal_Rock
All of the rings shown here were made by Yvonne Raley, and she also sourced all of the gems (she doesn't typically work with gems supplied by her customers, but she is always able to get me what I want so it works out fine ;-)

Link to her etsy store:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/yvonneraley

If you just convo her and tell her you saw the open rings she did for Kathryn (that's me :) she will know who you mean and what style you are after. You'd need to convo her though, (through etsy), bc she doesn't have this style listed in her etsy store, these were all custom orders. She is a great communicator, very thorough, and I trust her with all of my projects, both big and small. Hope this helps!

And thanks for the kind words!

chieftd

Rough_Rock
Kathryn, Thanks so much for the quick reply. Aloha, Tim

katharath

Ideal_Rock
chieftd|1366443048|3430991 said:
Kathryn, Thanks so much for the quick reply. Aloha, Tim

No problem, Tim! I'm up late tonight and thought I'd check in over here one last time, and saw your post :). Best of luck, I hope you're able to work something out with Yvonne for your wife, she does lovely work and in a timely manner too.

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
Kathryn - these rings are one of my FAVORITES on PS. :love: They are such a great design to make it fun to play with our gems! Congrats on the new spinels, enjoy!! :appl:

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Very fun and creative rings! I love how you can wear them in different combinations. Thanks for link to the designer.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
Ermagawd.
I.
Lovvvve.
The color combo of the green, yellow and pink. It's so eepooda!!!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Really, that is such a clever and beautiful design! I'm quite envious of your set. Such fun!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
If I had a diamond solitaire, I would be so tempted to do a set of these with pink diamonds, yellow diamonds, rubies, etc and pair them up for some flair.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
jbkhere|1366455663|3431013 said:
Kathryn - these rings are one of my FAVORITES on PS. :love: They are such a great design to make it fun to play with our gems! Congrats on the new spinels, enjoy!! :appl:

Wow, that is so nice, thank you!! I really love them as well but am glad others enjoy seeing them.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Woof mama- thank you! Hope you get to work on your own sometime, Yvonne is great :)

Kelinas - LOL, thank you also! I LOVE that particular color combo too. I'm having a long beaded necklace made with mahenge spinel beads and mint garnet beads, Yvonne is doing that too. She sources the gems I like best even in bead form. I'm excited to see it, it will have a few other beads (some demantoid green also) and will be nice and long at about 34-35 inches. I'm so excited to see the pink and green combo on it though! (Oh, the green ring in the photo you liked is a mint garnet also).

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1366465651|3431073 said:
If I had a diamond solitaire, I would be so tempted to do a set of these with pink diamonds, yellow diamonds, rubies, etc and pair them up for some flair.

That is a good idea. That's what makes these so fun, I think, you can arrange them in endless combos. I'm not sure how many more I'll want made, I don't really feel the urge for more right now, but I may later on. They're very fun though, thanks for the compliments and ideas.

Sakag

Rough_Rock
Those are lovely! I like the color combinations and the flexibility of wearing styles you have with them.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I love the idea of pairing the open rings with a traditional setting, brilliant and beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As you've said, they aren't the best Mahenges and at the same time, you aren't paying the highest prices either. I think you have a more than decent pair, and they are an excellent addition to your growing list of stackers.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Greg and Sakag- thank you both :)

Chrono|1366484043|3431202 said:
As you've said, they aren't the best Mahenges and at the same time, you aren't paying the highest prices either. I think you have a more than decent pair, and they are an excellent addition to your growing list of stackers.

Spot on, I'm glad to hear your evaluation mirrors my own!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
SO COOL! This is such a good idea. So versatile, too!

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! The thumb open ring idea is just awesome!!! Is the ring size with the open ring style the same as if it were closed?

Man, I wish wish wish I had the budget for something like this right now!!! Just gorgeous Katheryn!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Fi.Z|1366682273|3432601 said:
Wow! The thumb open ring idea is just awesome!!! Is the ring size with the open ring style the same as if it were closed?

Man, I wish wish wish I had the budget for something like this right now!!! Just gorgeous Katheryn!

Yes, the ring size is the same as if it were closed. I typically wear a size 8.5 to 9 on my thumb, depending on weather, the hot and cold will make my hands fluctuate up and down a lot. That's one of the reasons I love these rings though!! I have them made in a size 8.75 for me, and it works great bc they're slightly adjustable and do better than my "closed" rings do when my hands are more swollen.

As far as the cost goes, a lot of that depends on what gems you're choosing, and of course what metal. My two that are mixed metal were slightly less, they are 14k bezels with sterling silver wire/band. The other two rings are all 14k. To give you an idea on the price range: my cheapest open ring was about $160 I believe (smaller gems and with the SS band); the most expensive ring with the larger gems set in solid 14k was more like $400. So my point is, depending on what you have done, it can be very affordable :)

I really appreciate all of the positive comments, I honestly didn't think these rings would get such a nice reaction! I mean, I really love them, but it makes me feel great to hear such nice comments from everyone, so thank you all :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I've told my jeweler about the great comments over here, so if anyone wants to get in touch for something similar, don't hesitate! She is great at sourcing gems and doesn't always have everything listed that she has available (or can get), so don't let that stop you. You can always contact her for a quote with no pressure to buy, I think she's a great person to deal with (which is why she makes almost all of my stuff!).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results