carat
color
clarity

Mahenge.... Opinions please

_BUQARI_

Shiny_Rock
LisaRN|1322976761|3073797 said:
Hi BUQARI,

I have two Mahenges, one being pure neon pink and another being pink, with red and orange. I have bought a few spinels since and I would like to talk about spinels in general. I have bought and returned many a spinel with a grey or brown color to it. The stone you pictured would be one that I would return as it is not vibrant in color and seems a bit grey to me. It could be the that your picture does not truly represent the color your stone. A good spinel from my experience does not have any grey or brown that you can see with your eyes. I think the typical Mahenge spinel criteria is a neon pink or pink with red spinel that glows in low light. I really don't care what the ideal "Mahenge" color is, but after acquiring two "Mahenges" it has made me desire pink and red spinels with vibrant color and glow that do not show grey in any light. I recently bought a Burma spinel that is a pink/red and has a glow that although not Mahenge is very beautiful. I hope that helps.

Thank you very much for your answer!

It's a 4.16 Spinel from Mogok.
It's Neon Pink with slightly Red undertones (depends on the light) - but I can't see any gray or brown myself.

_BUQARI_

Shiny_Rock
TL|1322976458|3073795 said:
_BUQARI_|1322966173|3073741 said:
I just got one question - hoping someone can answer me without open a new topic.
Is this Spinel "Mahenge" in color? - if not, which colors would be a "Mahenge"?

Thanks!

I don't consider that to be the vivid saturated quality of a fine Mahenge spinel. It looks like a regular pink spinel.

Thanks for your reply!
I got no clue, that's why I'm asking - it's Neon Pink with slightly Red undertones/flashes (depends on the light source).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
_BUQARI_|1323022421|3073973 said:
TL|1322976458|3073795 said:
_BUQARI_|1322966173|3073741 said:
I just got one question - hoping someone can answer me without open a new topic.
Is this Spinel "Mahenge" in color? - if not, which colors would be a "Mahenge"?

Thanks!

I don't consider that to be the vivid saturated quality of a fine Mahenge spinel. It looks like a regular pink spinel.

Thanks for your reply!
I got no clue, that's why I'm asking - it's Neon Pink with slightly Red undertones/flashes (depends on the light source).

Well, it doesn't look neon pink from the photos. It's a pretty pink, but not that neon pink that glows, like fine Mahenges have.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually your stone has a lot of purple in it, and it isn't the saturated pinkish red that fine mahenges are supposed to be. Here is an example of a fine mahenge, and your stone next to it for comparison sake.

file.jpg

9-52ct-spinel-b-e1bdd.jpg

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Excellent Comparison TL!
~Justin

_BUQARI_

Shiny_Rock
TL|1323139268|3075006 said:
Actually your stone has a lot of purple in it, and it isn't the saturated pinkish red that fine mahenges are supposed to be. Here is an example of a fine mahenge, and your stone next to it for comparison sake.

file.jpg

Thank you TL!

I can clearly see what you mean.
It's more smilar to another one I got :)

The "shadow/deeper color" you can see at the picture is pure Neon Red in Neon Pink.
Base color is; Pink
Second color is; Red
The color is extreme in this Spinel.

CH057A.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results