shape
carat
color
clarity

Maggie Sottero...

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
I tried on two dresses today. I went in to try on the Maggie Sottero Tierney and Astor.

I tried on the Tierney and loved it, but found it a little too simple in the front. I wanted to try on the Astor and they did not have it.
They suggested a similar dress that was strapless. I looked at the tag and it said, "Maggie Sottero Limited". I sat down at
my computer to find the dress so I could look it over again online, and I can't seem to find this collection. Is there a reason for that?
I can't understand why a designer would have a line that cannot be found anywhere? I'm a little confused... any thoughts/insights/knowledge on this topic would be much appreciated!

Secondly... I am in a pickle. I thought I would be one of those girls that tried on dress after dress and couldn't find a darn thing. Now that I've started to try dresses on, I am faced with loving EVERYTHING. I like the back of one, or the front of another, or all of multiple dresses. I have no idea what's wrong with me. Something isn't clicking because I feel like I can't commit to a dress. I find myself wondering if there's something better since everything looks so good. This makes me absolutely petrified because what if I choose a dress, and then hate it later?

*sigh* I didn't think this was going to be me, but it seems like I'm the girl that's going to drive all of the salesladies nuts because she tries on nearly everything in the darn store before she picks. Is this bad? Should I be less picky? Basically.... is this normal? Has anyone else had this experience? I feel like the girl on Say Yes to the Dress that tried on 100 dresses and chose to keep looking :errrr:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
As to your first question - some designers just don't have collections online. Try buying a Marisa dress...IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere other than in-store at dedicated retailers! I think Marisa does it because a lot of those dresses are reallllly similar to higher-end designer dresses, if you catch my drift. It seems strange, but I guess it makes business sense for certain designers and lines?

Second - how awesome to be loving lots of looks! It's still early so finding dresses you love definitely isn't a bad thing! Have fun with it and try on as many dresses as you need to!

My best advice is to think really hard about the wedding - both the ceremony and reception. What feel are you going for? What mood do you want to evoke? How do you want to feel that day? If you're getting married in a ballroom and want to feel like a glamorous movie star, that's going to lead you somewhere different than getting married at a winery and wanting to look like a delicate vintage beauty, y'know?

For me, those questions made a HUGE impact on what dress I ended up with. There were a lot of dresses I loved, but they didn't fit in with the overall aesthetic I'm going for. For the longest time I really wanted to go fit-and-flare. When I told the saleslady "outdoor, romantic, lanterns" she came up with the perfect dress that fit that feeling and I was a goner, even though it was nothing like the stuff I had tried on previously and loved.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
sillyberry|1294811945|2820496 said:
As to your first question - some designers just don't have collections online. Try buying a Marisa dress...IMPOSSIBLE to find anywhere other than in-store at dedicated retailers! I think Marisa does it because a lot of those dresses are reallllly similar to higher-end designer dresses, if you catch my drift. It seems strange, but I guess it makes business sense for certain designers and lines?

Second - how awesome to be loving lots of looks! It's still early so finding dresses you love definitely isn't a bad thing! Have fun with it and try on as many dresses as you need to!

My best advice is to think really hard about the wedding - both the ceremony and reception. What feel are you going for? What mood do you want to evoke? How do you want to feel that day? If you're getting married in a ballroom and want to feel like a glamorous movie star, that's going to lead you somewhere different than getting married at a winery and wanting to look like a delicate vintage beauty, y'know?

For me, those questions made a HUGE impact on what dress I ended up with. There were a lot of dresses I loved, but they didn't fit in with the overall aesthetic I'm going for. For the longest time I really wanted to go fit-and-flare. When I told the saleslady "outdoor, romantic, lanterns" she came up with the perfect dress that fit that feeling and I was a goner, even though it was nothing like the stuff I had tried on previously and loved.

I have to ditto SB on those points! I was totally in the same place as you...I was trying on a lot of similar dresses in terms of cut, but all had a different style, feel, mood...etc. So, because I was trying on dresses that flattered me, I could see myself getting married in all of them! But my decision came down to two things. The first, was exactly what SB mentioned about deciding on a feel/mood for your wedding. Since the day we booked our venues, I decided that my "theme" (if you will) was "casual elegance". I found most of the dresses I was trying on fell more into the "glamour" category, so that helped me narrow it down to 3 dresses.

The second (and to me, more important) factor, was actually a piece of advice I got from Claritek when we went dress shopping: Choose the dress you don't want to change. At all.

Believe me...I did what you did. I liked the neckline of this one. The applique of that one. The rouching on a third. The beading of that one over there!

But in the end, the dress I chose fit my mood of "casual elegance" and I didn't want to change it one iota.

Good luck with your search!!!

Mashira

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you ladies! I think you both are very right. I am trying on dresses that are flattering, and that is causing me to love them all. I honestly don't have a 'theme'. However, I am not having a church wedding so I did decide that the train had to be chapel length or smaller. I think I need to hone in on what kind of 'mood' I'm going for, as I haven't honestly considered it. I believe this well help me narrow the field! Thanks so much! ::)

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
vc10um|1294837996|2820587 said:
The second (and to me, more important) factor, was actually a piece of advice I got from Claritek when we went dress shopping: Choose the dress you don't want to change. At all.

Beat me to it!

Mashira- I tried on 100 dresses before I found that one that I didn't want to change. I think the most I tried on at any one boutique was 10. Maybe 12.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results