shape
carat
color
clarity

Maclaren to Recall 1 Million Strollers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Just saw this this morning and thought I''d pass it on since one of the reasons we bought a Maclaren was because it came highly recommended from a lot of PSers:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/09/national/main5586256.shtml

(CBS) A major stroller manufacturer is set to make a massive recall Tuesday over concerns that children can have their fingertips sliced in a hinge.

Maclaren will recall all strollers dating back to 1999 - one million in total - a source tells the New York Daily News.

"Parents should stop using these strollers right away," the source told the newspaper.

Twelve children who allegedly had their fingertips chopped off after getting caught in the hinge sparked the recall, the newspaper reports.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, which plans to announce the recall Tuesday, declined to comment.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
ABC is reporting that it won''t be all Maclarens, but still 1 million:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/gma/2009/11/maclaren-stroller-recall.html

British stroller maker Maclaren is recalling a million strollers sold between 1999 and the present. The company has received a dozen reports of children''s fingertips getting amputated in a hinge on the strollers.

The hinge is on the side of the strollers and there have been incidents with children getting into the strollers as well as when they''re already seated. The Consumer Product Safety Commission is advising parents to immediately stop using their Maclaren strollers until they can get a repair kit. Maclaren will be providing a hinge cover via its Web ite and a special phone line beginning tomorrow.

The recall was not set to be announced until tomorrow, so we don''t know the precise model numbers yet. Please check back later today for more information.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
And now it''s on the Maclaren site:

http://www.maclarenbaby.com/us/content/view/88573/98889729/lang,en/

Consistent with our unwavering commitment to child safety we are providing U.S. consumers notice of a voluntary recall of all Maclaren umbrella strollers sold in the U.S. In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, we are providing free of charge to all affected consumers and retailers a kit to cover the stroller''s hinge mechanism, which poses a fingertip amputation and laceration hazard to the child when the consumer is unfolding/opening the stroller. The affected models include Volo, Triumph, Quest Sport, Quest Mod, Techno XT, Techno XLR, Twin Triumph, Twin Techno and Easy Traveller.

Maclaren USA''s Umbrella Strollers meet all U.S. ASTM & JPMA compliance standards. These certifications guarantee our umbrella strollers meet the maximum safety standards available. The voluntary recall is to alert the operator when opening or closing the stroller of the possible risk of injury.

Safety is our first priority and through this voluntary effort we urge consumers to contact us immediately to obtain the kit which consists of hinge covers designed specifically to fit all Maclaren strollers.

Maclaren stresses all operators read the instruction manual prior to use which contains valuable safety tips and service recommendations.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Maclaren''s site is not working for me, so it must overwhelmed!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Robbie!

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Site is still down--if anyone gets the number for consumers to call, please post. Anyone know where the hinge is? I won''t use this stroller until we get the kit..

thanks again robbie!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
here is the number 877-688-2326. However it is busy and site is down. I guess alot of peole have Macs! (as we know..
emsmile.gif
)

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Welcome all! I was filling out the online form before the site went down, but couldn''t finish because it wanted a VIN from the stroller. I''ll have to call from home to get mine.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 1:43:46 PM
Author: janinegirly
Site is still down--if anyone gets the number for consumers to call, please post. Anyone know where the hinge is? I won''t use this stroller until we get the kit..

thanks again robbie!

I don''t think you have to do that...from what I have read it''s the closing hinge. So just keep everyone''s fingers away from the hinge when opening/closing.

I ordered it online and they said it would arrive within 5-7 days. So it looks like they are on top of it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
One news report said it could do it even when just open?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 5:39:16 PM
Author: TravelingGal

I have no idea how that could happen after looking at it. But who knows!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I got to the site. FYI, you don''t need the VIN. I couldn''t find one on mine (did get it second hand) so I just entered anything.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 5:42:17 PM
Author: neatfreak

I took a look at mine and came to the same conclusion. I''ve ordered the repair kit, but I''m going to continue using it in the meantime and have just told family to keep fingers away from the hinges.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 6:53:37 PM
Author: Blenheim
Date: 11/9/2009 5:42:17 PM

Author: neatfreak

I took a look at mine and came to the same conclusion. I''ve ordered the repair kit, but I''m going to continue using it in the meantime and have just told family to keep fingers away from the hinges.

Glad I am not crazy! I couldn''t find any possible way for fingers to get pinched in the hinge if the stroller was open and locked. We have a Bumbleride too which I use much more often than my Maclaren these days but I am not going to halt using my Maclaren. We''ve been fine for 10 months so I am sure another few days will be fine.
3.gif

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
sorry, didn''t mean to sound like i was overreacting. Saw that they advised not using the stroller until kit was on (to protect themselves I guess) and well, I''d rather be safe. But bottom line is we rarely use this stroller anyway (have a Bugaboo which gets more use right now), so not a big adjustment.

I don''t see how it happens either..but it just sounds awful!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting robbie.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
You''re welcome Snlee!

I''m guessing injuries while open are probably caused by not having the stroller totally open and locked, but who knows. We haven''t started using ours yet since the straps are way too big.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results