shape
carat
color
clarity

Machine cut... huh?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
OK, I thought I was getting good at this educated diamond consumer thing, but on my break today I went into a B&M to try on some eternity bands (trying to get a sense of how different TCW look on my little paw) and the lady informed me that the 2 CTW I was interested in had ''machine cut'' diamonds which were hence ''perfectly matched''.

So, I''m assuming that every diamond is partly cut by a machine of some sort? What did she mean? ?? ??? Is ''machine cut'' a good thing?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2007 1:47:29 PM
Author:Independent Gal
OK, I thought I was getting good at this educated diamond consumer thing, but on my break today I went into a B&M to try on some eternity bands (trying to get a sense of how different TCW look on my little paw) and the lady informed me that the 2 CTW I was interested in had ''machine cut'' diamonds which were hence ''perfectly matched''.

So, I''m assuming that every diamond is partly cut by a machine of some sort? What did she mean? ?? ??? Is ''machine cut'' a good thing?
Modern automation is used by many manufacturers, especially in the preliminary stages. Some small (melee) diamonds are finished by machine. It doesn''t make them perfectly matched though.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Thanks! Does it affect their quality or value at all? Is it something I should try to avoid? Seek out? Or is it completely indifferent?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many people claim that ''machine-cut'' diamonds exist, some tool-manufacturers try to set up demonstrations of this, even, but I still think that it does not exist. In other words, it might be technically feasible on some very specific stones with enormous preparation, and even then, it is not economically efficient and quality-wise not sufficient.

On the marketing-level, however, some cutters try to give their product an extra boost by claiming it has been machine-cut, although in reality at best some preparation-stage is automised.

And some retailers take this as true, and spread the word while selling to consumers.

Live long,

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I noticed that you said Machine Cut. This brought something to my mind though, I was watching The Jewellery Channel on sky the other day and they had a channel set anniversary ring on and they were saying the diamonds were machine set and that was why the spacing and angles the diamonds were set at was precise. Just wonder if the Sales Assistant may have meant that.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Not to disagree at all with Paul but I remembered this thread when I ran across this just now when looking for something else. In Fall 1999 G&G page 45, Hertz Hasenfeld writes:

Automatic diamond cutting has evolved dramatically since the first machines were used in Israel in the 1970s. Today, a machine is capable of cutting a diamond—with the exception of the star facets—with perfect polish and symmetry and with no additional weight loss, compared to human labor. Automation ensures better consistency, an attribute demanded in branded diamonds. It also helps address some of the consumer issues regarding diamond cut, the last quality factor to become quantifiable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results