shape
carat
color
clarity

Low-Carb Menu...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since what seems like 1/2 of America is on the low or no carb diet...figured I'd jump into the midst of all these fatty recipes and post something that helps us watch our waistline instead of destroy it!
2.gif

Many of us have weddings up and coming, and many more of us are just watching what we eat most of the time anyway!
1.gif
Wedding or no wedding.

However as many of us know, eating well does not mean that your food has to taste like crap.

So what are people eating if they are watching their waistlines? Post your best tasting recipes and/or tips here.

I'll start by saying that I am on the low-carb lifestyle...about 3/4 of the time.
1.gif
No way do I follow the insane rule of 20g of Carbs or less per day etc. The typical approved daily intake is 300g of carbs. I try to stay somewhere in between around 50 per day. However, on the weekends all bets are off.
1.gif
I have whatever I want.

Anyway what do we eat during the week (this is when we are good)?? Here it is...

Breakfast:

Scrambled egg whites with mozarella cheese (lower fat than others), salt and pepper and sometimes some cayenne sprinkled in. Salt. Yummy. Sometimes if I feel 'bad' I put it into a small tortilla...this has carbs. Corn is better than flour.

On the weekends I will make a more substantial omelet for us...with tomatoes, cheese, and maybe some mushrooms, Greg gets the egg yolks and I stick with the whites!
1.gif

Coffee! Coffee has no carbs but the milk does have sugar fat which turns into carbs. However, a small amount (I have about 1/2 cup with my coffee) will not be so bad. Plus we love our Kauai coffee and can't do without.

Drinks:

Cut out the Pepsi and soft drinks, anything with sugar and carbs...if you actually look at a label you will be appalled. Water is your best friend.
1.gif
Sometimes I splurge on a coke during the weekend though.

Dinners:

SUSHI!!!!! We love sushi during the week. Like rolls but don't want the rice, then you can ask them to give it to you with no outside rice.
2.gif
Personally I don't like white steamed rice anyway, so it's just extra carbs I don't need to be having.

Chicken and Fish. Our best friends during the week.

Orange Roughy is one of our favorite fish. We buy it frozen and defrost, then just saute in a pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper. I kid you not, Orange Roughy tasted like BUTTER. Not bad for 0 fat and 0 carbs!
2.gif

For chicken, I found a great way to make a quick chicken.
1.gif
Foster Farms finally started packaging their breasts in bags of 2 and then you can buy a bag of something like 6. No more defrosting the entire package and wasting it for 2 people. This is so much easier. I take the chicken and slather it with country dijon mustard (the chunky one) on both sides, and salt and pepper it. Then I bake it at around 375 for about 30 minutes. It sears on the dijon and tastes SOOO good..very juicy. Plus 0 fat, 0 carbs!
2.gif

Veggies also pair well with the chicken and fish on our good days. Asparagus is great when sauteed in a pan with some olive oil and balsamic vinagrette, yumm. Brocoletti (?) are great when steamed with real butter, asparagus taste great like this too.

Lunch:

Lastly, salads are my best friends during lunch time and at work. I love the WEDGE, the slice of iceberg and blue cheese dressing with chunks of blue cheese. YUM. Also lucky for me there is this great bakery cafe which has excellent salads, my fave is the chicken gorgonzola which has chunks of breast chicken, gorgonzola chunks, iceberg lettuce, walnuts, apple slices and a great vinagrette. Very good. Big too.
1.gif

My biggest tip for staying on the wagon and eating healthy is that you should stop and think about what you eat before you put it into your mouth. I notice that because I am watching what I eat more, I am less prone to just snack. Also I look at it like this. I will only eat something that is bad for me if it TASTES REALLY GOOD. The example here is the rice. I don't like rice all that much. So why eat it when it's all carbs? Not really worth it. I'd rather have a coke which actually tastes good and I like it...than eat the rice on the sushi. Small sacrifices that you won't notice in terms of taste will actually go a long way IMO. Plus that way you allow yourself a splurge later because no one can be GOOD forever.
2.gif

Lastly, workout is important too. I think the two go hand in hand. Anyhow...hope this has helped someone and I would love to see other recipes and/or tips that people have who are watching their carbs or fat or both....
1.gif
For example I have yet to find a good 'snack' for before my workout and before dinner....since fruit is pretty much out of the picture due to high carb content..what do people eat that is nutritious for some energy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results