shape
carat
color
clarity

Low amniotic fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I''m 32+5 weeks right now, and it was discovered at an ultrasound on Thursday that my amniotic fluid was low at 4.38cm. I was immediately admitted to prenatal floor for IV fluids and continuous baby monitoring. They also gave me steroid shots to mature his lungs. The following morning, an ultrasound showed that my level had increased to 8 so I was allowed to go home. I am now on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy and have to go to twice weekly ultrasounds to keep an eye on my fluid.

Two doctors said that I should expect to have our baby early. They hope that I can keep him in until 36-37 weeks but wouldn''t be surprised if he comes earlier than that. There is a chance I could go 40 weeks, but it doesn''t sound very likely.

Has anyone here experienced this? Did you go 40 weeks, or did you deliver early? Did you go into labor on your own if you were early, or did the doctor decide it was time to deliver?

Thanks!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
This happened to a friend of mine. I''d have to ask about when the dr. decided it was time. . .the only detail I remember from her birth story (I''ve heard too many to keep track of details) was that she did have a c/s. Her first two children were delivered vag.

Her daughter has turned out beautiful and happy.
2.gif
Best of luck to you!

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
YES, not fun. The baby decides when it's time as they tend to get stressed and slow....I'd avoid C-section all costs, even though it's the easier way out, seek second opinion & options... you want to be up and mobile to take care of your preemie angel, as feedings are a major challenge.
Sending warmest vibes.......
emlove.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m so sorry. I''m sending you dust to make it to full term, but I''m glad you''re already as far along as you are.

While I didn''t have a preemie, I did just have a C/S, and while it wasn''t fun and definitely not what I was hoping for, it didn''t really make me immobile or anything. I avoided driving for a week and tried to limit trips up and down the stairs and how much I lifted, but there wasn''t anything regarding the baby that I felt I couldn''t do. I don''t see how that would be different with a preemie.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also had a c/s and it was actually super easy IMO. I was walking around later that day and had no problems taking care of my twins.

Anyway, back to your original Q. The good news is that you've made it to 32 weeks. That's GREAT-even if you were to deliver tomorrow the chances that your baby would be fine after a little while in the NICU are very very good.

A good friend of mine had VERY low fluid with one of her twins. So low (and for so long) that they told her that the baby likely wouldn't have lungs (!!!). But her fluid was basically all but depleted at 18 weeks so that is a different situation than yours. Anyway, to make a long story short she delivered at 36 weeks and had two perfectly healthy babies. They did choose to deliver them then because of the fluid-but it was a very controlled and easy c/s because of that.

So if you keep watching yourself and the baby likely everything will be just fine. And even if you do deliver a few weeks early your baby will likely be just fine too. Remember that 37 weeks is technically full term-so even if you can make it to 37 that is fantastic.

Just take it one day at a time and speaking from experience the bedrest actually gets easier as the weeks go on. The first week is the hardest so hang in there!

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
A friend of mine had low fluid and the only real issue was that the baby couldn''t turn head down (i guess less fluid = less mobility) so she had a scheduled section b/c he was transverse breech. Do you know if your baby is head down? If so, i''d assume that as long as you are monitored and things look to be okay, you can just wait to go naturally.
Best of luck to you!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2009 3:55:16 PM
Author:orbaya
I''m 32+5 weeks right now, and it was discovered at an ultrasound on Thursday that my amniotic fluid was low at 4.38cm. I was immediately admitted to prenatal floor for IV fluids and continuous baby monitoring. They also gave me steroid shots to mature his lungs. The following morning, an ultrasound showed that my level had increased to 8 so I was allowed to go home. I am now on bedrest for the remainder of my pregnancy and have to go to twice weekly ultrasounds to keep an eye on my fluid.

Two doctors said that I should expect to have our baby early. They hope that I can keep him in until 36-37 weeks but wouldn''t be surprised if he comes earlier than that. There is a chance I could go 40 weeks, but it doesn''t sound very likely.

Has anyone here experienced this? Did you go 40 weeks, or did you deliver early? Did you go into labor on your own if you were early, or did the doctor decide it was time to deliver?

Thanks!
Yes, this happened to me with my 4th child. but I was bit further than you. At my 36 week apt they discovered my fluid was low. So they scheduled an amnio to make sure the lungs were mature. Girls lungs tend to mature faster than boys. The test results came back her lungs were mature so I was induced at 36 weeks and 2 days and my baby healthy at birth and needed no special assistance. In my case though, they think there was a tiny tear in the sack and fluid was leaking so they gave me anti-biotics. In fact, I begged them to let me go home just 12 hours after birth because a huge snow storm was coming and I did not want to be stuck in the hosptial away from my other kids. the doctor let me go home since I lived within 1/2 mile of a hospital at the time, and having 3 other kids I knew how to care for a baby.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the responses!

I am thankful that I am so far along if this had to happen. He is head down so that''s good. The doctor today said that if my level drops below 5 again I have to go back into the hospital. She hopes that I will make it to 36 weeks, and I hope I do...if not longer of course. We would not be surprised to have our baby boy by Christmas. My due date is January 14th. On Monday when I measured at 7.2cm, the baby had a full bladder, and today with a full bladder I was only at 5.7! He peed (hehe) during the ultrasound which raised my fluid to 6.9. Good boy! So it''s still dropping some. I''m really hoping that I don''t have to go back into the hospital until it''s time to deliver, but I''m mentally preparing myself that I might be be hospitalized for the remainder of my pregnancy. I have another scan on Saturday, so we''ll see what happens then.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/25/2009 4:15:11 PM
Author: orbaya
Thanks for the responses!

I am thankful that I am so far along if this had to happen. He is head down so that''s good. The doctor today said that if my level drops below 5 again I have to go back into the hospital. She hopes that I will make it to 36 weeks, and I hope I do...if not longer of course. We would not be surprised to have our baby boy by Christmas. My due date is January 14th. On Monday when I measured at 7.2cm, the baby had a full bladder, and today with a full bladder I was only at 5.7! He peed (hehe) during the ultrasound which raised my fluid to 6.9. Good boy! So it''s still dropping some. I''m really hoping that I don''t have to go back into the hospital until it''s time to deliver, but I''m mentally preparing myself that I might be be hospitalized for the remainder of my pregnancy. I have another scan on Saturday, so we''ll see what happens then.

I hope you don''t have to spend the holidays in the hospital, but of curse you have to do what is best.

You and your little ones are in my thoughts.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
orbaya i am sorry to hear about the low fluid, i hope that you will also make it to full term or at least as close as possible. bedrest around the holidays can be a drag but at least it''s winter and you can stay snuggly inside...!!

random Q, but if anyone knows, how does amniotic fluid get low in the first place? is the baby is absorbing it, or your body is taking it out, but not replenishing it or ?

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
Babies drink it and process it. Numbers can change drasticly for many reasons: diabetes, preeclampsia, lupus, placental issues, multiples, fetal urinary tract blockage, heart,etc, too much or too little is bad [5-25cm] my baby had problems recycling it, he had very little cushion, oxigen suppply and was prone to an infection. I fought for saline solution into the sac to avoid cord compression and had a successful vaginal, much easier to drive 44 miles to feed my baby daily for 2 months. I''m sure this is not Orbaya''s case, at 37 weeks She will be okay.
emlove.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had the opposite issue with too muich fluid. I was told there was a big baby and a healthy placenta producing lots of fluid. Not as dangerous as too little but still resulted in early water breaking and issues with the position of the baby because he never dropped -- he was floating too much in all the fluid! He was 8lbs 7oz rather than the 10lbs they predicted from the scans
20.gif
so science is not infallible.

Anyways, don''t worry too much until you need to, which seems to be if you measure below 5 again. Fluids change all the time and despite what the docs think you could still have a normal delivery and spontaneous labour. I think Docs often like to prepare you for the worst possible case. So take it easy and see how it goes over the next few weeks!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I had another ultrasound yesterday and the fluid measured at 5.7, and I thought I was on my way back to the hospital. Just before the scan was over, the baby peed and brought my fluid to 6.9. I was 7.2 on Monday and he had a full bladder then, and yesterday it was only 5.7 with a full bladder. So basically the thing that saved me yesterday was him peeing. So, my fluids aren''t staying up. I have another scan on Saturday and I hope it''s okay.

It really sucks to have a few ultrasounds a week and leading up to each one I''m wondering if I''ll be told I need to be admitted again. Of course I will do whatever needs to be done to keep the baby healthy, but at the same time I hope that doesn''t mean the hospital.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2009 7:45:42 PM
I had another ultrasound yesterday and the fluid measured at 5.7, and I thought I was on my way back to the hospital. Just before the scan was over, the baby peed and brought my fluid to 6.9. I was 7.2 on Monday and he had a full bladder then, and yesterday it was only 5.7 with a full bladder. So basically the thing that saved me yesterday was him peeing. So, my fluids aren''t staying up. I have another scan on Saturday and I hope it''s okay.

It really sucks to have a few ultrasounds a week and leading up to each one I''m wondering if I''ll be told I need to be admitted again. Of course I will do whatever needs to be done to keep the baby healthy, but at the same time I hope that doesn''t mean the hospital.
I''m sorry Orbaya! Pregnancy is a real roller coaster, but it sounds like you are being monitored closely. I am thinking of you!

My fluids were 25 at their deepest. Strange isn''t it how there can be so much variation?

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2009 9:03:41 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

I''m sorry Orbaya! Pregnancy is a real roller coaster, but it sounds like you are being monitored closely. I am thinking of you!

My fluids were 25 at their deepest. Strange isn''t it how there can be so much variation?

25?? I''m jealous, haha! If I could just have a few centimeters, that would be awesome!

This isn''t the way I was expecting my relatively uneventful pregnancy to end, but it is what it is.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2009 7:20:25 AM

Date: 11/26/2009 9:03:41 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

25?? I''m jealous, haha! If I could just have a few centimeters, that would be awesome!

This isn''t the way I was expecting my relatively uneventful pregnancy to end, but it is what it is.
I felt the same way! I would have likes a little less
2.gif
It meant that there was a worry of cord prolapse if my water broke early, which of course it did due to the pressure of like 4 litres of fluid, and resulted in induction and a long labour because the baby was floating and mal positioned. A small price to pay in the grand scheme.

Just hang in there. each week gets you closer to the zone where you don''t have to worry too much anymore! And then you will have your baby!

Do you know if it is a boy or girl?

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
We are having a boy! We are very excited, and are ready to meet him but obviously not too soon!

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
A friend of mine just had almost exactly the same situation. She never ended up admitted to the hospital, but she spent 3 1/2 weeks going in for non-stress tests and other monitoring twice a week, with the possibility of induction or C/S hanging over her head.

She delivered a perfect, healthy baby girl after a spontaneous labor and vaginal birth, 10 days ago, at 36 weeks.
5.gif

The hardest part of the situation, for her and probably for you, was the stressful waiting. The doctor kept telling her to avoid stressful situations, and my friend finally snapped "I would, but you keep making me come back for another appointment."

It sounds like you''re doing all the right things, and they''re keeping a close eye on you to make sure nothing bad happens. Good luck to you, and I hope you can be as unstressed as possible.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 1:13:37 AM
Author: pjean
A friend of mine just had almost exactly the same situation. She never ended up admitted to the hospital, but she spent 3 1/2 weeks going in for non-stress tests and other monitoring twice a week, with the possibility of induction or C/S hanging over her head.

She delivered a perfect, healthy baby girl after a spontaneous labor and vaginal birth, 10 days ago, at 36 weeks.
5.gif

The hardest part of the situation, for her and probably for you, was the stressful waiting. The doctor kept telling her to avoid stressful situations, and my friend finally snapped ''I would, but you keep making me come back for another appointment.''

It sounds like you''re doing all the right things, and they''re keeping a close eye on you to make sure nothing bad happens. Good luck to you, and I hope you can be as unstressed as possible.

This is exactly how I feel too. Twice a week I have the threat of another hospitalization hanging over my head, as well as an early delivery. It''s not fun, and is very stressful. My fluid levels actually went UP a bit at yesterday ultrasound, so hopefully I can keep myself a bit more relaxed for Tuesday''s scan.

As of today, I''m 33+3 weeks and I would love to keep him in until 36 weeks (or obviously longer), so hopefully that can happen. Hubby and I are getting everything ready as if he will be here very soon, just in case. The doctors said to expect him early, but of course they can''t say how early. So now we''re playing the waiting and ultrasound result game.

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/29/2009 10:11:45 AM
My fluid levels actually went UP a bit at yesterday ultrasound, so hopefully I can keep myself a bit more relaxed for Tuesday''s scan.

Yay! I bet your doctors are a bit more relaxed too, since you definitely aren''t trending downwards. Hang in there...

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I have another ultrasound tomorrow and will see my doctor also. Keeping my fingers crossed it''s more good news!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results