shape
carat
color
clarity

Lots of bling - a stop by Joe Escobar in the Bay Area

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ps''ers!
So my co-worker got engaged recently and her diamond is in a temp setting so I took her by JE the other day to check out some settings. While I was there I had a look at some settings for myself. I currently have a 1.54 asscher from GOG and I''ve been toying w/ the idea of an upgrade in the 2.5 - 3 ct range (might have an Octavia cut for me)
30.gif
But I''m also thinking of resetting my current asscher into a halo setting for a few years. That way I can really save up to get a 3 ct in a whiter color like a G. The setting I tried on that I loved, I think I really fell in love w/ it and I don''t think that''s ever happened to me in regards to a setting. I don''t think it looks all that great in the photos but it''s amazing in person.

Of course the great sales guy there that we chatted w/ (for like 2 hours!
6.gif
) was awesome and even brought out the most amazing Asscher I''ve seen. It was a 4.00 (a tad bigger than that but can''t remember the exact specs. I think it was an G or H VS2 and it was $100K but oh so yummy!

Here''s some pics for you all! Hope you enjoy!

4ct 1 JE.jpg

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s a 3 ct cushion they had, it was amazing as well. I can''t remember the specs but it had awesome chunky facets!

cushion 3 ct JE.jpg

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the setting I love. What do you all think? It''s holding a stone that''s the same size as mine now. I think I''d really be happy w/ the new finger coverage
3.gif

asscher halo 1 joe e.jpg

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
here''s another pic. btw - on each side of the halo, i have my wedding bands flanking it.

asscher halo 2 joe e.jpg

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Profile - i would like for it be lower if I go w/ this setting

asscher halo 2 side view joe e.jpg

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Last pic of the asscher halo.... thoughts? the sides have step cut traps that are kinda hard to see (they are in-between the metal edges).

asscher halo 3 je.jpg

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I actually really love your current setting, and I wouldn''t change that until you are ready for your larger stone. I do like the new setting, but I always try to think back to why I chose my setting to begin with when I get the urge for a change.

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I would really like that setting with a gemstone for a RHR? Maybe that could be an option?

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock
That cushion is the shitz!

I like that new setting but I don''t love it for your diamond more than your current one either. It takes away from the beauty of your cut, IMO.

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2010 1:48:18 AM
Author: EHR2009
I actually really love your current setting, and I wouldn''t change that until you are ready for your larger stone. I do like the new setting, but I always try to think back to why I chose my setting to begin with when I get the urge for a change.
+1 - the new setting looks ''too busy'' for me but that''s just my personal taste

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I like the new setting and it''s very different than the normal halo''s a lot of people get. I think if you want something a little different while you save up for the 3ct+ then go for it. You can always put a colored stone in it when you upgrade to your dream stone.

titian23

Shiny_Rock
I''m not normally a halo fan but actually I really love this setting, it looks really nice on your finger, esp in the last photo where it is just the ring. And the post above who mentioned putting a colored stone in it as a rhr later on? I really like that idea too! I say go for it if you love it!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s really pretty and I prefer the simplicity without the addition of the wedding bands.

beechezz

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like you had a lot of fun playing at JE!!! That 4 ct. asscher is jaw-droppingly beautiful.

As for the halo setting for your current asscher...I agree with the others that I like your existing setting better, so my advice is just to save up for the upgrade to a bigger asscher. In the long run I think you will be happier (JMO).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2010 2:06:06 AM
Author: Sparkles&Glitter
That cushion is the shitz!

I like that new setting but I don''t love it for your diamond more than your current one either. It takes away from the beauty of your cut, IMO.

I agree. Your current diamond and setting are beautiful and the new one is too busy for your gorgeous diamond IMO.

That chunky faceted cushion is to die for!!!
Not that I would turn away the 4 ct asscher :)
3.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I usually prefer simple settings but that new one you''re talking about is just gorgeous with the asscher stone. It would be hard to resist that!!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that cushion!!
3.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I love your current setting, but I definitely understand wanting more blingage after awhile. You should get whatever makes you happy! I personally think asschers always look good, and the new setting has "WOW" factor.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I like your current setting too, AG. The halo is a little too busy for me....but that''s jmho
2.gif
I would probably just wait and keep saving towards my
upgrade
11.gif

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Holy wow! Thank you for sharing pictures of these beauties!

The new setting is really pretty and unique and while I personally prefer your current set, the extra finger coverage is nothing to sneeze at. I love the profile and agree that it would look better a bit lower, if possible. I also agree that it looks better as a stand-alone ring. Do keep us posted!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new setting is pretty, but I too think it detracts from the beauty of your stone. I love halos with asschers but a more simple one would be better to me.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the yummy eye candy!

I''d say if you are looking for more bling for a few years, that the halo you posted would fit the bill(I for one think it is lovely) and I love the idea of setting a colored stone into it later for a RHR. If you love it-I''d say go for it, you are the one wearing it and that is all that matters.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I can see both perspectives - I don''t love the new setting as much as your current one, I don''t think it shows off your stone quite as well - but if it will ease your waiting period until you get your upgrade - and you would get use out of the new setting later as a RHR (coloured stone would be gorgeous), then I can understand you wanting it. :)

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think your current setting is gorgeous! I know you said that the new setting look better IRL, but I really think your current setting allows your stone to shine. It looks like you guys had fun! Did your co-worker pick a setting? Any pics?
31.gif

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
Wow everything is amazing.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2010 9:08:09 AM
Author: Dani
I like your current setting too, AG. The halo is a little too busy for me....but that''s jmho
2.gif
I would probably just wait and keep saving towards my upgrade
11.gif
Ditto!

I absolutely LOVE your current setting/set so my vote goes to saving for that upgrade. Love the pictures!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy 4 ct. asscher! That is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I like the idea of a halo for you, but I''m not sure if that''s the right one for your lovely Asscher, dear. Quite honestly, I have always adored your set the way it is.
30.gif

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for all of the replies you guys! I know I''m so torn on what to do. I totally had that thought when I was trying it on that I could easly have a 6.5x6.5 gemstone cut for that setting later to make it an RHR (Tsavorite anyone?)
18.gif

I keep going back and forth on settings, I love sleek modern lines (like bezels) but I also love more detailed antqiue settings too.

Here''s another idea: What about a ring like this: Tiffany with bead set halo (but no milgrain - just a smooth bezel edge closest to the center diamond and on the edge of the halo).

Now for the shank - either something like the Tiff w/ the square cut (carre) or a tapered shank like this Leon (I''ll have to attach it in the next post).

Attachments

• Tiff idea 1.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 68

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
And again, thank you so much for all of your nice comments on my current setting! I do love it too, I just wish I had more coverage. That damn DSS is hard to ignore!!!

Oh and if I go w/ the tapered shank I think I might make it like the profile of the halo that I tried on at JE so I can still wear my wedding bands w/ it and it will be flush.

I was just thinking that if I do a halo, that will cost me somewhere from $3500 to $5500 vs an upgrade of $15K plus a setting (and if I upgrade I have no idea what type of setting to do. I was kinda thinking of a BGD Grace or maybe a combo of a grace but w/ a bezel). But that''s a little ways away so I have time to think about it. And of course come back here for all of your help!
9.gif

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
sorry admin, i realized i just posted that leon pic w/ a logo. here''s the leon pic again w/out logo

leon graduated shank.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results