shape
carat
color
clarity

loose stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DevineHalo

Rough_Rock

Please bare with me, I''m new to diamonds and these may be stupid questions. I have had three different ering setting over the past few years and have had problems with loose stones. Granted the first time I did hit my hand on the counter and knocked it loose, but the second (and this) time I know I have not hit my diamond...anyways...my questions are:

I recently had my diamond put into a halo setting (got it back two days ago) and heard my stone clicking so I pushed it a little with my finger nail and it moves a tiny amount ( barely visible to the naked eye and felt "clicking" with my fingernail) in the new setting. Is it just the new setting....as the diamond is only held on my the prongs and kind of floating otherwise? Or is this an oversight on the jeweler''s part and should I take it in? Any one with a halo setting have a similar problem?

Second question is, how difficult should it be to loosen a stone, it seems I do it every six months or so!

Thirdly....once a stone is loose, how loose does it have to be before the stone can actually fall out?

Thanks guys!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness, I would take it in right away to be fixed and that is a very good question. I had a ring in a bezel setting and it was sort of loose and soon after it fell out; you don't want to take chances.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you just got it and it''s loose, it wasn''t set right, take it back to the jeweler to be tightened.

I''ve had this setting two years, and even knocked a prong slightly out of place but it was and has never been "loose''. My first set was 24 years, never loose. It just shouldn''t happen that often. Have all these settings been from the same jeweler? If so, sounds like you should maybe switch.

Last question can''t really be answered, too many variables. But it should be taken in to be tightened the minute you know it''s loose.

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
Your third question is pretty tricky. Any number of things will change this. Type, number, shape of prongs. Shape of stone. Quality of workmanship on the setting. Type of materials. Alignment of the stone.

Short answer: No real way to tell, just get it fixed as soon as possible.
1.gif

Remember: "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people."
9.gif

DevineHalo

Rough_Rock
thanks guys, i''m going to be taking it in today, to a different jeweler

DevineHalo

Rough_Rock
SO, i took it in and the jeweler at the new store said that in essence, the person who set my stone into my halo setting had mutiliated the prongs, so the stone wasn''t sitting centered in the setting and that it was very weak. he also said that there is a possibility that the diamond is chipped on the corner, as it is a very specific skill to set princess cut stones. needless to say i am very upset. we are going to have a replacement setting (free) sent to us, and have the old jeweler remove the stone from the current setting (so that if the diamond is chipped that it will not void the warranty on it by having a new jeweler remove it). we will then take the stone and setting and have the work done at the new jeweler. this is so incredibly frustrating. i''m sure it will all work out in the long run, but waiting sucks.

Splinter

Shiny_Rock
At least you have a plan to set it right. How will you confirm the damage to the diamond once the old jeweller has removed it? Will he inspect and tell you (which leaves room for dishonesty) or will you get it independently verified?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/25/2008 6:36:12 AM
Author: Splinter
At least you have a plan to set it right. How will you confirm the damage to the diamond once the old jeweller has removed it? Will he inspect and tell you (which leaves room for dishonesty) or will you get it independently verified?
Good question.

And I''m really sorry about all this, but hopefully the new jeweler will fix you up, correctly! Please let us know.

DevineHalo

Rough_Rock
once they remove the diamond they will tell us what they think, but we are also planning on taking it to an independent party to verify if there was damage.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good deal. You might let them know you're going to do that, they may be a bit more forthright in their assessment....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results