shape
carat
color
clarity

loose diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mixed news here. He admitted that he is having a hard time bringing himself to spend that much money ($4700) on a ring. (he is very practical -- usually something I am very pleased about) After researching here and on some of the suggested websites, I have come to the conclusion that I would be much happier with loose diamonds that I pick set just for me.
He thinks that is a good idea because that would let him purchase a diamond or two at a time. Do it in small (I didn''t think it was a good time to mention the prices I''m looking at) chunks so that the price doesn''t feel as high.

He knows that the price will be at least as much doing it this way but somehow he would feel better about smaller checks. (men are strange)

I''m fine with this. I can get better quality stones and just the right setting (maybe even custom) and not have to compromise to bring the price down for him.

Does anyone have any favored place to buy loose diamonds? I don''t mind online as long as they are reliable.
I would love to go look at some in person too. I''m in the Seattle area (Bellevue).

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I'd talk to White Flash, Engagement Rings Direct, Brian Gavin, or Good Old Gold. They'll have the basics covered, and then if you want to go antique, look at Erica Grace or Old World Diamonds.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 12:04:56 PM
Author: princesss
I'd talk to White Flash, Engagement Rings Direct, Brian Gavin, or Good Old Gold. They'll have the basics covered, and then if you want to go antique, look at Erica Grace or Old World Diamonds.
ditto princess!

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
it sounds like you''re talking about buying the sidestones? from what i understand, it''s more expensive to have stones you already own set than to buy a setting with diamonds already in it. buying the center stone and setting seperately certainly makes sense though.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. That does seem to fit with the prices I''ve been seeing.

I think before ordering any stones I should look around at settings and talk to a jeweler.

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 11:13:37 AM
Author: TooPatient
Interesting. That does seem to fit with the prices I''ve been seeing.

I think before ordering any stones I should look around at settings and talk to a jeweler.
good plan, ask what the price would be for settings you like if you provided the sidestones. if you''re talking about a 3-stone, this might make more sense than some other styles.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the 3 stone with additional channel set stones on either side.

They have one at Shane Co. for $1700. 14 stones (the 2 med. size plus 12 channel set).
I like it but I am uncertain of the quality of there stones. Especially the 2 larger.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Oooooh....you want to buy all the little ones, too?

Honestly, I''m thinking that''s not going to work. A) It''s going to be hard to independently source 12 .01pt-ers or .02pt-ers and B) You''ll then incur a setting fee with many jewlers (for instance, one jeweler I spoke with had a $25 fee per stone - so that would be $300 *just* to set the small stones. It''s definitely worth having the jeweler source the stones for you.

What about setting up a payment plan instead so it''s a bunch of small payments, but you don''t have the major headache of trying to find melee on your own?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results