shape
carat
color
clarity

Loose Diamond Advise - Pavilion/Crown Angle

nixta_72

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I am a new member of the forum and I was hoping to get a little bit of advise with a loose diamond I have just purchased.

I have not received the diamond yet to view it in person, but I am a little concerned with the combination of the Pavilion and Crown Angles in regards to overall light return. I am hoping this thing really pops! Any thoughts would be appreciated. The specs. and link are below...

Shape: Round
Depth %:62.90
Carat weight:1.30
Girdle: Medium
Color:f
Table %:55.00
Clarity: SI1
Culet:None
Cut: Excellent
Certificate:GIA
Polish:Excellent
Crown ∠: 35.50
Symmetry:Excellent
Crown %:16.00
Fluorescence:None
Pavilion ∠:41.00
L/W/D (mm): 6.99*6.95*4.39
Pavilion %: 43.50

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.30-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-500475

Any any overall opinions of this stone would be appreciated as well.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not the best combination of angles. Just think of it this way... say 34.5/40.8 is the "ideal" combination for a safe place on GIA reports. If the crown gets higher, ideally you would like to see the pavillion get shallower to compensate. In this case, both the crown and the pavilion got steeper, which is not ideal for maximizing light return. This does not mean there aren't exceptions, as there are many other facets that play a role as well. But as a general rule, you'd like to see complementary angles.

nixta_72

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help! Well, hopefully JamesAllen's return policy lives up if this diamond doesn't quite do it for me. I payed $8,800 for the stone which seemed pretty reasonable...would you agree?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has it shipped already? Can you have them stop it?

nixta_72

Rough_Rock
No I don't believe it has yet.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that stone is referred to as a steep deep stone which means there will be light leakage.

nixta_72

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the help everyone! I contacted JamesAllen and they stopped the processing of this diamond. I am a little anxious because I thought that was the one, but I had no idea about the high HCA score. Back on the hunt I go!

nixta_72

Rough_Rock
Thanks pfunk! Well, after seeing how dull that 1.4 carat I posted above looked in the video, I am not putting as much weight on HCA score. So I went ahead and had JA continue to ship me the original diamond I had posted about. I want to at least take a look at it in person and if I am not satisfied with its light performance I'll just return it then.

So I guess for now I will table my search and wait for the first diamond to come in.

My criteria for what I'm looking for though is as follows...

Round Cut
1.30 carat (around 7mm in diameter)
D-G in Color
SI1/SI2 eye clean (been really only finding SI1's satisfying)
Excellent Cut

And then very good to excellent light performance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results