shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to upgrade … please help!!

Grant0830

Rough_Rock
Fellow PS, I found you 14 years ago when I purchased a round .84 ct, I, VS2 H&A diamond (with your advise) for my wife’s engagement ring. She has been hinting at an upgrade for some time and I am again coming to you for your advice.

We found a band that she really likes (pictures attached) but I was not impressed with the stores salesman’s advice on their in-house diamonds. I felt like we kept getting shown whole sized stones (2.5/3.0) even when I asked to see some off sized stones (2.34/2.73) he kept steering us back towards the whole sizes. Everything they had was GIA graded and pricing was fair but I really want to get the best bang for my buck. The 3.0 stone (pictured) had a HCA score of 3.4 and medium blue fluorescence which has me questioning the inventory they where showing us.

Please help steer me in the right direction! Questions and advice is greatly appreciated!!

60E8CD93-928D-4BAF-A13A-58ABD40D4EA0.jpeg

Attachments

• E0930CF3-C99E-40AE-B016-7FA2BD727EA8.jpeg
    E0930CF3-C99E-40AE-B016-7FA2BD727EA8.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 40

EClove

Shiny_Rock
Are you set on buying from this store? If not, can you share your budget and the specs you’re looking for? I’m sure some folks here can offer some great suggestions!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider buying the diamond online and buying just the setting from that store? Like EClove said, we can help you search if you share your budget and size/color/clarity requirements.

This is one example of a superior cut stone in the size range your wife tried on.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Good news: That setting should be an easy one for just about any jeweler to get/make.

Check with Jon (Rhino) at Distinctive Gem, David (@Rockdiamond) at Diamonds by Lauren, and Whiteflash.

Grant0830

Rough_Rock
Our price range that we where looking at is …
2.50 ct G/SI1/EX/Depth 62.3/Table 56- $35,300
3.01 ct F/SI2/EX/ Depth 63.0/Table 56 -$44,880
(The 3.01 has medium blue fluorescence)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
$44,342 wire price...plus another $100 off if you sign up for their newsletter.
Guaranteed super ideal with all the advanced images to prove it.
8.82mm spread.
Recipe for big fire: 15.4% crown height, 53% stars, and 55.8% table width.
Unbeatable lifetime upgrade program.

Hopefully, your search is now over. :)
If you like what you see, then contact them ASAP and put it on hold/reserve.

Grant0830

Rough_Rock
Is now a good time to purchase a stone? Is market up or down or does it stay pretty consistent?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Is now a good time to purchase a stone? Is market up or down or does it stay pretty consistent?

Market seems to still be rising, especially with the turmoil happening in Europe. It does have an affect since there are very active mines in Russia. The ongoing pandemic is another massive factor resulting in supply constraints.

Grant0830

Rough_Rock
Ok, any other great high value stones out there I should consider?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Ok, any other great high value stones out there I should consider?

Hi Grant, would you mind sharing the following so that we can provide the best recommendations tailored to your wants and needs?

Budget cap
Minimum carat/diameter
Max color grade
Max clarity grade

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are a few more options for you.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
Here is a F color super ideal cut stone if you are ok with medium fluorescence:

BGD has a sale for April and the price works out to be at the lower end of your budget post discount code: APRDIA22

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here is a F color super ideal cut stone if you are ok with medium fluorescence:

BGD has a sale for April and the price works out to be at the lower end of your budget post discount code: APRDIA22

Is it bad that this one also induces the side effect of drooling?
Beautiful diamond - nice find, Diamond_Enthusiast!

Grant0830

Rough_Rock
Help me understand a medium blue fluorescence. The good & bad?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All fantastic options!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Grant0830

Rough_Rock
any advise on medium blue fluorescence

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
any advise on medium blue fluorescence

Likely zero problem, since it's a Brian Gavin diamond. You can contact him and ask him to confirm that the MBF has zero impact on transparency and optical performance.

Grant0830

Rough_Rock
So I asked the local retailer where we found the setting My wife liked if they had any ideal scope images of the stones we looked at and got a long story about how GIA doesn’t recognize this and it’s all marketing hype. Why do these retailers carry only GIA stones and put down the AGS cert stones?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
So I asked the local retailer where we found the setting My wife liked if they had any ideal scope images of the stones we looked at and got a long story about how GIA doesn’t recognize this and it’s all marketing hype. Why do these retailers carry only GIA stones and put down the AGS cert stones?

Because they want to fill their cash register with your money, and do so by any means they deem necessary.

It's a very old-school approach of selling diamonds: make it glitter and dance under the dazzle lighting of the showroom and say something along the lines of "if it looks good to you, then that's all that matters."

The whole point and purpose of the ASET (and Ideal-Scope) is to protect the buyer from getting a poorly cut and proportioned diamond with inadequate light return and performance, because that dazzle lighting dancing diamond will look way different out in the real world, and not for the better.

Something like 70% of all diamonds graded by GIA get their top Excellent cut grade, merely because their (GIA) criteria is far too broad. That only benefits the cutters and sellers by giving an illusion of being great diamonds to the unknowing end customer.
AGS revolutionized the industry with their superior grading methodology by utilizing all three dimensions to analyze a diamond and determine overall light performance.

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
How would you compare the Brian Gavin Blue to this GIA stone... https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=5211940919

I would personally go for F since it is two color grades higher, super ideal cut with advanced images to prove it. BGD also offers an upgrade program if you decide to upgrade again down the track.

As @DejaWiz mentioned, they want your business and it is easier to sell you a diamond under store lighting designed to make the diamonds look better. Far easier to tell you to go with your eyes than supply evidence of light performance - extra effort that may actually make their diamonds less marketable to you.

If they don't carry AGS stones, they have no incentives to speak favorably about AGS and it is best for them to push the GIA stones only. Consider AGS 000 a more precisely cut subset of GIA XXX stones. Both are highly reputable labs but you need to work harder to find a well cut GIA XXX and know what to look for.

There is no reason for you to eschew a diamond simply because it is AGS graded, as others have mentioned. AGS has tighter cut parameters than GIA, so an AGS000 is going to score GIA 3Ex. Some people DO think that AGS can be a bit 'softer' on colour as compared to GIA, however this difference, if it exists, is more likely to pop up in the lower colours and not in colourless stones, I believe. I don't have enough experience to know if that is a meaningful concern. The only time an AGS cert may work against you is in the small chance you want to sell the stone in a non-US environment (since AGS is not very well known outside of the US). However, at that point you could always get it graded by GIA. You don't lose out in any real way by going for the AGS cert in my opinion.

One way you can ease your mind that you do have is to ask BGD to give you their opinion on whether the stone is a 'low F' or 'high F'. If you're very particular, you can also pay for them to have the stone re-graded by GIA (check that this means that the stone will still be eligible for upgrade, you'll be able to return it if you're not happy with the grade etc).

Personally, I would go for the BGD in this case.

Grant0830

Rough_Rock
Awesome! Thank you everyone!! Now, on the A. Jaffe setting my wife likes. Would BGD be able to get this setting? Or have it made to fit the stone? The local store said they would have to order the setting and I worry that if I get the stone not from them they won’t set it

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
I would reach out to BGD. They are super awesome to work with (I have diamond studs from them).

Just fyi, WF does have A. Jaffe settings on their website if you decide to go with them.

Grant0830

Rough_Rock
One more ask for help… do you all see any high value stones 2.5 ct vs2-si1 I/H/G around $35k?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results