shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to paint a picture, where to start?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m looking to paint a picture but not sure where to start. Should I begin with acrylic on a canvas? What is a very basic starter list of necessary supplies? Since I don’t know if this is something I will enjoy and stick with, I don’t want to go to crazy from the start.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve enjoyed using https://www.letsmakeart.com/
They offer kits for painting projects and they have a YouTube page so you can follow along with a ”how to” while painting. I’ve only done their water color projects (I like the easier clean up), but I got an acrylic kit from them for Christmas so I’ll be excited to try that. They provide all the paint and the paper / canvas needed for the projects and you provide your own brushes. You can find pretty inexpensive paint brushes on amazon or your local craft store. I think it’s a nice & convenient way to try out painting.

I did this one a while back.
B7E85F79-DC89-4519-B900-8D99DA07F480.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is great, thank you so much for that link @elle_71125! Did you find watercolor paint easy to work with? I painted with watercolors in high school but that was like 26 years ago. Damn I feel old now!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also got into watercolor via Let's Make Art -- their Youtube channel has a set of 4-5 videos aimed at the very beginner which I found very useful to watch before I even tried painting -- I first followed LMA and Sarah Dandelion Cray (LMA's primary watercolor artist featured in their videos) on Insta, but now follow several other artists (check out Harriet de Winton / deWintonPaperCo's Insta & Youtube) -- Sarah Cray and Harriet de Winton often do quick reels and offer tips -- watercolor is part of my life now and it is rewarding even if I am just playing with a new color or new technique or practicing leaves and patterns -- there's a zen quality to my art time that has transformed my life -- no matter what you choose, please do start painting/creating, and have fun with it!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could go to your local craft store and buy a student grade paint set.
This would have either watercolors or acrylics, brushes, palett, etc.
Then you will need watercolor paper ( comes in a pad) or wrapped canvas board for acrylics.
The pigments in a student grade set won't be as good as artist grade, but it will be fine for a start, to see if you like painting.
Good luck!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, there are art workshops for adults offered at local libraries, high schools and colleges. These are relatively lower cost than private lessons and are hands on.
There are always Bob Ross videos:lol:

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
My recommendations will vary a little based on if there is a specific painting you wish to do or if this is more of a "I want to try painting" situation.

Here is a video with a brief overview of the differences between watercolor, gouache, and acrylic paints:

Regardless of if there is something particular you want to paint or if you are just wanting to try, you will need:
-Brushes
-Paper or canvas
-Paint
-Mixing palate
-Brush cleaner
-Containers for water
-Paper towels and a rag/old hand towel
-Painters tape if you are using paper instead of canvas to hold the paper down

My personal experience with watercolor painting is that student quality paper and paints make painting more difficult due to the difference in how transparent the pigments are, how easily they spread, and the cheap paper doesn't hold up to scrubbing/wet on wet very well. The good watercolor paper is definitely more expensive, the better paints are a smaller bump in price.

Most people use 140lb watercolor paper, but I like to use the 300lb - it's thicker, it can take all the abuse I throw at it with minimal warping (even when I don't stretch it, which I almost never do because I'm lazy), and while one 22 x 30 inch sheet runs around $20 in most areas of the USA, most people don't use the whole thing in one go and usually get a few paintings out of one sheet as they cut it to size.

If you decide to go the watercolor route, I'm happy to share my recommendations on my personal necessity list, as well as brands and specific paint colors that are necessary but still a minimal palate.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A good source for art materials is www.dickblick.com.

There is a Blick store in CT also-- 341 Cooke St, Plainville-- with a wide assortment of brushes, paints, paper etc.
Considerably cheaper than Michaels.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is great, thank you so much for that link @elle_71125! Did you find watercolor paint easy to work with? I painted with watercolors in high school but that was like 26 years ago. Damn I feel old now!

The first thing I bought was a Bob Ross oil based painting kit. I liked how the paint was to work with but clean up was a b*tch. So off I went to watercolor kits. They are definitely different to work with but not hard to get the hang of. I actually really like them...and I love how easy clean up is. I don't want to spend 20 minutes cleaning up every time I paint. Who has the time or inclination for that. Lol.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rungirl, we used to have a Costco membership but don’t currently. I think DH might have one for work so I’ll have to ask him. Thanks for the suggestion!

@marymm, thank you for the video suggestions, I’m going to watch those before going to the art store just to get a feel. I am rather excited to try even if it ends up being more abstract than anything else.

@stracci2000, thanks for this, I’m going to give it a shot, I need a creative outlet so figured I would try painting first.

@lambskin, oh great suggestion, we have a really good parks and rec dept in town and I bet they would have an introduction to painting program. I would watch Bob Ross for hours as a kid, loved him!

@vintageinjune, I don’t have a specific idea in mind, going to try it and see where it goes I guess. I’ll let you know if I go with watercolor to get your recommendations but the bit about the paper was very helpful as well as the video, so thanks so much for that.

@pearlsngems, oh my gosh, thank you for that suggestion. I know there is an art store in West Hartford but Plainville is closer.

@elle_71125, I don’t know how I missed it, but I didn’t see your picture when I responded to your post this morning. You are quite an artist!

Yeah I hear you about cleanup, I clean plenty in day to day life so anything that makes that aspect easier is great.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
At Blick, the paper is in the back room-- it's easy to miss it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@YadaYadaYada
It's interesting that you mention wanting to paint.
Some years ago, the grocery that I worked in closed, and I had to get another job with a different store. I really hated the new job.
I was miserable there, and suddenly I needed to paint.
I went out and bought watercolors, brushes, paper. For moral support, I visited a watercolor artist I know. She gave me a pep talk.
I have a background in art, but it had been years since I did any drawing or painting.
I started sketching and painting anything and everything, to remind myself that I hadn't lost my touch!
It was very grounding during that unstable time.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, art whether it is painting or drawing is such a powerful form of therapy if you choose to use it that way.

Since I’m not currently working (but working on it) I decided to take this time to work on myself. I tend to have a lot of anxiety so any healthy outlet that can help with that is something I’m willing to try.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
@YadaYadaYada I'm trying to make myself paint again. Acrylics have been easy and quick clean up. I have tried to learn watercolors, but they are challenging, or maybe more set for a methodical application, where I am messy and fast :D

Have you started yet?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MMtwo, no I haven’t even gotten to the store yet, I’m not a fast mover apparently lol! Well DH was away for the week so that complicated things a bit.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on watercolors, I might try the acrylic route first then because I’m not sure I have the patience for watercolors and messy and fast sounds right up my alley.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results