shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to compare something to this Ippolita Garnet Neck.

Gorp512

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hello All,

I am in the market for a garnet necklace for a gift. Found this Ippolita piece and really love the beauty and simplicity. I would like to find something comparable or a jeweler who can make something comparable if only to do my due diligence before going for this one. I can't find anything too similar and would love the board's input on the quality of this stone and gold, where I may be able to find comparable pieces, and any other advice in searching for garnet pieces. I am hoping for something for everyday wear and this necklace looks a little delicate, but I have not seen it in person just yet. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!!!!

http://m.ippolita.com/lollipop-18k-gold-mini-pendant-necklace-3?___store=mobile

Gorp512

Rough_Rock
Premium
Re: Looking to compare something to this Ippolita Garnet Nec

Thank you!

I'm very novice when it comes to picking stones, but was looking for what I believe to be almadine. I really was only looking at prefab designer pieces until now and they mostly have the deep reddish, orange I thought of as garnet.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Looking to compare something to this Ippolita Garnet Nec

Yeah, garnet is an interesting group for all the colors it takes on. But your average commercial pieces often only cover the brownish reds.

Stuller makes stock settings, which means most any jeweler can order from a catalog and just have to set a stone in it. As opposed to a more custom setting which would require fabrication of the setting. That saves on your cost, and there are likely other options out there besides Stuller.

The downside is that it limits your choice of stones to something that fits the sizes that the setting is pre-made for.

But, it might open up the possibility to using other stones, if thats of interest. Or theres a fair bit or range in the garnet family between pinkish-red and orange.

One potential downside to the common red garnet is that it often goes brown in certain lighting (like CFLs). There was a post a long time back that had a good example photo. I'll see if I can find it.

So, lots of options!

Have you browsed around much at garnets offered by CS vendors? There is quite a rainbow out there!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results