shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to buy an emerald for a pendant

I will preface this with I've never purchased an emerald, but I have wanted an emerald pendant for quite some time! After looking at some local jewelry stores, I have been unimpressed. I want a stone that really has that "glow". I'm under the impression that a Columbian emerald is better than all others. I am also under the impression that you should get a lab cert when purchasing an emerald. I'm looking for recommendations for loose stones (who's your go-to?). I am partial to the emerald cut, but I have also seen some pear shaped stones that looked lovely. Also, for those who have had loose stones set, how long does that process typically take (and who is your go-to for setting an emerald)?
Cut: Emerald or pear
Max price: $3500

Examples of the "glow" I am looking for:
https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...-GemMedia.php?FromPage=1&ProductMediaID=36788

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...-GemMedia.php?FromPage=1&ProductMediaID=35281

Thank you for your input in advance!!!

scouty

Brilliant_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of the stones you linked from mastercut. They are a super reputable company with an amazing reputation. The dbl one looks great too!!

I’m a fan of the glow on this stone and it’s an Emerald cut: http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/221ct-emerald-cut-emerald-r8454
Working with David from DBL is awesome. While I’ve never done a custom design with them, I’ve found their customer service to be really great for a preset ring. Here’s a pretty unique setting they’ve done for an Emerald necklace
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtGXWm2nhS8/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1whnvu1ktguq9

:mrgreen2:

That is a gorgeous stone! Thanks for the suggestions!

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
My update: I contacted Mastercut Gems to inquire on the 3.1 ct emerald because it's not listed as certified. Because it's "old stock", they are not willing to send it out for a cert. I like the stone, but I don't know how I feel about buying it without a cert.

I also like http://www.embassyemeralds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=&products_id=592 but it too does not have a cert listed.

Both of these companies seem reputable based off of forum threads, I just don't want to get swindled.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My update: I contacted Mastercut Gems to inquire on the 3.1 ct emerald because it's not listed as certified. Because it's "old stock", they are not willing to send it out for a cert. I like the stone, but I don't know how I feel about buying it without a cert.

I also like http://www.embassyemeralds.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=&products_id=592 but it too does not have a cert listed.

Both of these companies seem reputable based off of forum threads, I just don't want to get swindled.

Will they send it out if you pay for the cert? It should be in the $150 range if I'm remembering correctly. For such an expensive (relatively) purchase, I feel like an extra 150 is ok to make sure it's not overly treated, etc.

Will they send it out if you pay for the cert? It should be in the $150 range if I'm remembering correctly. For such an expensive (relatively) purchase, I feel like an extra 150 is ok to make sure it's not overly treated, etc.

Yeah, that was my feeling as well. I offered to pay the expense for the cert in my request, but because it's an old stone that they do not own, they said that a cert was not an option. Thanks for the reassurance!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, that was my feeling as well. I offered to pay the expense for the cert in my request, but because it's an old stone that they do not own, they said that a cert was not an option. Thanks for the reassurance!
huh, that's weird. But I guess it's not their stone to get certified. So they might not want to be "stuck in the middle" if anything went wrong.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock

At least they replied to you with a "no".... I never heard back from another vendor when asked.

IMG_20190721_194254.jpg IMG_20190718_175843.jpg
I wanted to provide an update on this thread. I purchased a 5.82 carat emerald from Embassy Emeralds and had it set in this custom pendant at a local jeweler (David Liska). I am very happy with how it turned out

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one has dark spots, so I would avoid it.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy either of the stones you linked from mastercut. They are a super reputable company with an amazing reputation. The dbl one looks great too!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to provide an update on this thread. I purchased a 5.82 carat emerald from Embassy Emeralds and had it set in this custom pendant at a local jeweler (David Liska). I am very happy with how it turned out
How was their communication? Someone here complained profusely about the poor communication from this vendor. Your pendant is beautiful nonetheless.

How was their communication? Someone here complained profusely about the poor communication from this vendor. Your pendant is beautiful nonetheless.

I (and my husband) had follow up with him several times, and the AGL cert took about 4-5 weeks through him. The shipping was also a little funky, but at the end of the day, I was happy with my purchase!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

It’s stunning! Can you pls post some more details about it? And more close up shots :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results