shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking to buy a Sapphire from JA

zodiacs

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

My girlfriend has decided on the setting she wants already and we're trying to figure out which sapphire to buy. I don't really know anything about how to look for one. I saw this one and thought it was nice, but I don't know if it's overpriced or not. I've heard that buying the gemstone/setting from the same place is usually a good idea to prevent headaches down the line. Let me know what you guys think, I'd love your feedback.

https://www.jamesallen.com/gemstones/blue-sapphire/1.16-carat-oval-sku-18051

Z

ExoticGems

Rough_Rock
In my opinion the stone is over priced because it seems that the stone is very very dark, badly cut and it is also heated. JA overall from my browsing seems to have low quality colored stones and are usually very overpriced for them.

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First, congratulations!

The conventional wisdom here is that finding *the* stone is the hard part. From the JA site, that stone looks like it will be very dark all of the time.

If you both love it, then that's awesome, as everyone has different preferences. But personally, I'd be worried about the darkness.

Do you have a particular budget/size/shape you're going for? Folks here love throwing out suggestions :)

Frost

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The stone looks very dark, dim and greenish.

If it's a question of budget, wouldn't buying a lighter but still nicely saturated one be a better way to go?
It'd light up in more environments too (the stone above most likely will not unless you plan to incorporate a little LED bulb into the ring :D).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is so dark, it's hard to even tell if it's blue. If she likes really dark stones that look opaque, black spinel is a very good affordable option, and quite durable. If she likes blue sapphires, I suggest to keep looking. extremely dark tone impedes vibrancy of color.

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others - it does appear very dark. However, that might be what you are looking for? Congratulations by the way!

Far too dark, sorry, I can't even make out the color. It could be green as well?

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, no, no!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results