shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for thee Emerald

SSTP

Rough_Rock
Helloo friends looking for some assistance :D

Looking to spend ~5k CDN on the diamond. No real strict budget, just looking for good value :angel:

After some research, I'd like a diamond from JA to include:

Colour H-G
Clarity VS2-VS1
Carat 1+
L:W ~ 1.5

I was thinking of a narrower diamond as she is quite small and has slender fingers. Does that make sense? Also, all above isn't set in stone(heh), just what I thought would yield a diamond of good value.

1) L:W 1.47 $5159
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-881442

2) L:W 1.44 $4736
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.02-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1023613

3) L:W 1.42 $5173
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.01-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1069317

Just want to make sure I'm on the right track before I request ASET's

Any help is GREATLY appreciated so I don't :wall: too much. Thanks

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I love emerald cuts, but I'll have to tell you, I really dislike stones with a ratio of 1.4+. I do not think they are very attractive as a solitaire when they are so long and skinny. I think in the 1.3 range is a much more appealing rectangular shape, and I personally even like them below 1.3. So while I am happy to try to help you, I would encourage you to consider the 1.3 ratio range.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the 1.4 ratio, personally. And ratio is a personal choice.

That said, you already have a small budget for a 1 carat emerald and limiting your choices by ratio is not smart.

None of those are great. I'll take a look around for you and see if I see anything worth your time. You should focus on performance and faceting not ratio.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

SSTP

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1461645146|4023616 said:
Well, I love emerald cuts, but I'll have to tell you, I really dislike stones with a ratio of 1.4+. I do not think they are very attractive as a solitaire when they are so long and skinny. I think in the 1.3 range is a much more appealing rectangular shape, and I personally even like them below 1.3. So while I am happy to try to help you, I would encourage you to consider the 1.3 ratio range.

Do you think its relevant if like I said, she's quite petite? I feel like a more narrow ring would work better on skinny fingers, and a more boxy ring would work better on larger fingers…but I have no clue and fingers will def change in size a bit!

ty for help

SSTP

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1461648949|4023636 said:
I like the 1.4 ratio, personally. And ratio is a personal choice.

That said, you already have a small budget for a 1 carat emerald and limiting your choices by ratio is not smart.

None of those are great. I'll take a look around for you and see if I see anything worth your time. You should focus on performance and faceting not ratio.

I don't really have a strict budget. Like the ring is already ~8k already total, so I'd spend more to get a great one without question.

Can you elaborate a little on why the ones I choose aren't very good and what I should be looking for?

I would imagine this will put a lot of other diamonds into the equation, so I'll hold off on getting ASET's on the two you posted for now.

Thank you so much Gypsy

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
out of curiosity, what setting do you have in mind? :bigsmile: we LOVE to know these things. :naughty:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SSTP|1461678506|4023739 said:

Do you think its relevant if like I said, she's quite petite? I feel like a more narrow ring would work better on skinny fingers, and a more boxy ring would work better on larger fingers…but I have no clue and fingers will def change in size a bit!

ty for help

You are talking about slight changes to width. Rectangles look good on the majority of hands. Fat or skinny. Don't cut down your options for good stones by ruling out ratios in the 1.3 range.

As for what to look for. It's in the liveliness of the facets and how they handle the light, how they turn on and off.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
I agree w Gypsy that the ratio is definitely a personal thing.... I have a 1.26 now and want to trade it in for a 1.4. :) I LOVE the longer stones in a halo setting and it will look bigger too! I love the 2 Gypsy recommended. If you can go bigger than 1ct, I would... your budget could allow it. Maybe buy as big as possible and put in a simple setting with baguettes (to add some width on finger) and then halo for the 1st anniversary? This way you will get the biggest stone for your budget and I'm sure she won't be sad about that :appl:

SSTP

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1461729882|4024049 said:

ty for help

You are talking about slight changes to width. Rectangles look good on the majority of hands. Fat or skinny. Don't cut down your options for good stones by ruling out ratios in the 1.3 range.

As for what to look for. It's in the liveliness of the facets and how they handle the light, how they turn on and off.

Could you tell me numbers to look for or is it more of an eye test?

With a higher budget, would it be possible for you to recommend me some other diamonds? I don't really want to get aset's on the ones you picked out since you admitted they weren't great :lol: and I can increase the budget

Edit - Also is there a sweet spot for value I should be focusing in on? Getting a good deal is very important for her hehe
Like I figured H,G color and vs2,vs1 clarity …or do I go a step up into F colour and vvs2 clarity?

What about something like this:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.01-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-1069545

Thanks again

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
SSTP|1461768263|4024165 said:
Gypsy|1461729882|4024049 said:

ty for help

Could you tell me numbers to look for or is it more of an eye test?

With a higher budget, would it be possible for you to recommend me some other diamonds? I don't really want to get aset's on the ones you picked out since you admitted they weren't great :lol: and I can increase the budget

Edit - Also is there a sweet spot for value I should be focusing in on? Getting a good deal is very important for her hehe
Like I figured H,G color and vs2,vs1 clarity …or do I go a step up into F colour and vvs2 clarity?

What about something like this:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.01-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-1069545

Thanks again

1. Not numbers. Can't buy an EC by the numbers. It's all faceting and light return.. .an eye-test as you say.
2. A higher budget would open the selection up. More selection=higher chance of a nice stone.
3. No sweet spot. It's all faceting and light return. The best stone could be an eyeclean VS2 or an IF. Could be a D or a H. Basically H or better and (eyeclean) Vs2 or better is the range we look it. Those are the "floors" we set. No ceiling. So that there is as much selection as possible. Actual color and clarity do not impact the appearance of a stone in that range (so a E VVs1 is not going to look that much better than a G Vs2 just because of the color and clarity). It's all in the performance (light return) and faceting.
4. I didn't pick the stones I did by color or clarity. I didn't even notice them. All I selected was based on faceting and performance. The F Vvs you picked has some potential. I am afraid those black facets will ASET out Blue instead of Red though.

SSTP

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. Ok, lets try again…
It's a tough balance between getting a good deal(which she def wants), and wanting to pick the best diamond possible for her :lol: :wall:

I like these guys:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.02-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-983013

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.02-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-1043849

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.02-carat-h-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-874758

Gypsy would you mind pointing out a few to me that have potential if these don't ? I realize you didn't really find any good ones before, but now that the budget is a bit more, I was hoping you could have another look. I would very much appreciate it.Thanks

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What's the budget? And are you married to JA as a vendor ?

SSTP

Rough_Rock
:wavey: I think ~7k for the diamond max and yes i'd like to stick with JA, it seems like fate to me :)

Much appreciated

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

SSTP

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the suggestions. The one I was really interested in, they were unable to supply an ASET. Is that a no-go?

Edit - the one 3rd from the bottom on your list. 1.00 carat

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, yes. No ASET on an EC means no sale. There are quite a few options. Ask them which ones you can get one for and go from there.

SSTP

Rough_Rock
Thanks. This was the only one I could get that interested me. How does she look?

1084875.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like it was tilted when the picture was taken. Have them try again.

SSTP

Rough_Rock
:doh:

He said this: "This is the only image we have available for this diamond. The ASET imagery is not tilted, it is showing the diamonds reflective light return properly. We would not be able to provide additional images from what is available, as this is an overseas diamond and cannot be brought in for inspection or imagery. I look forward to your decision, if you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to ask. "

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I swear to god. JA is going downhill with this whole overseas diamond thing.

Which one of the stone is this?

I am pretty darned sure this thing was tilted.

SSTP

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1462423415|4027466 said:
Just this one. http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.00-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-1085227

Let me know if you decide to open it up to other vendors.

Hi
I can't get an aset on it but I talked to 3 of the experts there and they all said one is not needed. They all said it would be white and free of inclusions. Another said its more important how it looks when its moving, not static. I know they work there, etc.. lol but i showed some other rings for example and they were showing me all the dark areas on them and ruling them out for various reasons

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

SSTP

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1462510063|4027968 said:

Thanks so much, again!

Thats kind of like a blessing in disguise.If I need a custom setting (well strongly recommended), I might as well just get someone to make me a custom tiffany soleste emerald cut (thats the one she originally wanted). Forged and made of platinum. So if I buy a stone from enchanted, I can just mail the diamond to them? They well make the setting and put the rock in too?
Should I throw engagement rings direct an email and get a price from them? I'm in Ontaro though,is it advisable to do it through someone closer? Thankssss

Edit - I put a hold on your personal fav, I love it :naughty:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can buy the stone and have it sent to BE or Victor or whichever vendor you choose. Be advised setting will run 4-5k. Folks on here do it all the time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results