shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for stud earrings just under 1 carat each

thebigjdoe

Rough_Rock
Picking Round diamond earrings is even harder than picking the engagement ring :(

You guys led me to a nice victor canera halo, so here I am again. I've looked at jamesallen under matching pairs but there are 340 pairs betweek $7600 and $11500 and i have no idea how to narrow this down. Should I only bee looking at matched pairs? Not really sure how it works, first pair of diamond earrings I am purchasing.

Requirements are:
G or better color (preferable F or better, she color sensitive)
Eye clean, probably S1 or better but no visible inclusions
Each stud a little less than a carat, lets say .9-.99ctw PER earring
Obviously want nice spread and an excellent cut
Would like to keep cost around $10k if possible, obviously less is good, more if it is worth it.

Any ideas or clues on what to look for?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally can’t help you find something from James Allen any more because they took off all the information I would need to help you evaluate diamonds.

These are the parameters for GIA excellent and then you can run the numbers thought the HCA tool here.

Gia excellent:

Depth 60-62.3

Table 54-57

Pavilion 40.6 to 40.9

Crown 34-35

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

I personally prefer a depth 62 and under.

Or you can make this really easy and look for superideal stones from Whiteflash, High Performance Diamonds or Brian Gavin. HPD and WF have much better trade up policies. Because believe me, I have 1.4 TCW studs and I thought FOR SURE they would be huge and I would never upgrade, but guess what? I think I could go bigger lol

With James Allen, you will have to call and get the information on a bunch of diamonds and then post here so we can help.

@YoungPapa @jamesallenrings Has made it IMPOSSIBLE for us to help pricescopers find diamonds from them. Their reasoning is IMO that they don’t need pricescope to help so oh well. Think about that too before you buy from them. They have a bad attitude for us helping IMO and In my experience just today in trying to help.

I personally no longer recommend dealing with James Allen.

thebigjdoe

Rough_Rock
I personally can’t help you find something from James Allen any more because they took off all the information I would need to help you evaluate diamonds.

These are the parameters for GIA excellent and then you can run the numbers thought the HCA tool here.

Gia excellent:

Depth 60-62.3

Table 54-57

Pavilion 40.6 to 40.9

Crown 34-35

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

I personally prefer a depth 62 and under.

Or you can make this really easy and look for superideal stones from Whiteflash, High Performance Diamonds or Brian Gavin. HPD and WF have much better trade up policies. Because believe me, I have 1.4 TCW studs and I thought FOR SURE they would be huge and I would never upgrade, but guess what? I think I could go bigger lol

With James Allen, you will have to call and get the information on a bunch of diamonds and then post here so we can help.

@YoungPapa @jamesallenrings Has made it IMPOSSIBLE for us to help pricescopers find diamonds from them. Their reasoning is IMO that they don’t need pricescope to help so oh well. Think about that too before you buy from them. They have a bad attitude for us helping IMO and In my experience just today in trying to help.

I personally no longer recommend dealing with James Allen.

Very good to know.
I dont need to get from james allen by any means, it was just the first place i looked. I am open to purchasing anywhere! I really just want some quality stones with a very basic 4 prong setting

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd call IDJewelry and ask Yekutiel or Shulamit to help you match a pair.

These are the only 2 I work with and their service is outstanding.

I'd also ask parks fine group inc. Alex is super patient and has a great eye as well.

If you imagine yourself upgrading frequently, I'd explore WF, HPD or BGD

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

thebigjdoe

Rough_Rock
ok Guys I think Im going with these, in 4 prong "martini" style settings for a lower profile look compared to the baskets. Any thoughts on the stones? Will the different table sizes matter? Sorry they removed them from site so all i have are screen shots

d2.JPG d1.JPG

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok Guys I think Im going with these, in 4 prong "martini" style settings for a lower profile look compared to the baskets. Any thoughts on the stones? Will the different table sizes matter? Sorry they removed them from site so all i have are screen shots

d2.JPG d1.JPG
Very nice! The difference is size is miniscule, so I don't think anyone would even be able to tell. Those are super high quality stones for earrings, and will allow her to upgrade in the future if she chooses, which is great.

thebigjdoe

Rough_Rock
Very nice! The difference is size is miniscule, so I don't think anyone would even be able to tell. Those are super high quality stones for earrings, and will allow her to upgrade in the future if she chooses, which is great.
Yah the upgrade option is nice. Figured she will only ever need one pair of studs so just get nice ones. if after a year or 2 her ears can handle more weight we can upgrade!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cant go wrong with ACAs! I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference in table sizes. Should be a lovely pair!

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
I just want to chime in on the setting.

Ask about the La Pousette backing upgrade. They are soooo much more comfortable than screwbacks and more secure as well.

I have the La Pousette backing on a pair of WF cluster diamond earrings, and I will never go back to screwbacks. I also got the posts slightly shortened, so the back looks like this. Nothing to stick out and poke me (I'm lazy and wear them to sleep, a lot, lol).

IMG_20180314_153226.jpg IMG_20180314_153031.jpg

thebigjdoe

Rough_Rock
I just want to chime in on the setting.

Ask about the La Pousette backing upgrade. They are soooo much more comfortable than screwbacks and more secure as well.

I have the La Pousette backing on a pair of WF cluster diamond earrings, and I will never go back to screwbacks. I also got the posts slightly shortened, so the back looks like this. Nothing to stick out and poke me (I'm lazy and wear them to sleep, a lot, lol).

IMG_20180314_153226.jpg IMG_20180314_153031.jpg
Interesting, I'll ask them. Are these more secure than a standard friction back?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent pair of WF ACAs! I do not recommend screw backs. I have had several pair of WF studs over the years and always get the regular posts and backs with zero problems. Screw backs can eventually wear down and some people find then uncomfortable to take on and off. The other warning is that some people find that the martini base stretches their ear hole, so I always get the baskets or other setting that has a flat base.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting, I'll ask them. Are these more secure than a standard friction back?

Yes. There are 2 tiny tabs on the backing that must be pressed to release it from the post.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I would pick La Pausette backing because I find it to be the most secure to use for earring studs.

I have two very young toddlers and they like to pull my ears and hair.... I had to put some old earrings aside because I can’t wear it anymore. They kept pulling my earrings and I spent way too much time looking for my earrings.

I won’t go back to the regular basket backing for sure and I do not like the screw back.

I am not sure if you have children or planning to have children, but this is something to consider.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results