shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for recommendations to recreate favorite fashion ring in real gold

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi all! I am hoping someone can impart some wisdom and direction for me. Last Christmas I ordered a ring from QVC - the Elizabeth Taylor inspired ring 7.20 carat total weight. I wanted to try out the size and make sure it wasn't unbelievable looking. I love how it looks on my large 9.25 finger and had a family member ask me if it was real (I am a lover of larger stones and all my rings are on the large size, diamond and gemstones.) As expected the finish has worn off and I have decided that I would like to make an exact replica in 10k or 14k white gold. I love the way it sits low on my finger and the stone is as lovely as when I first received it and I could reuse it but I was thinking I may have it done in Moissanite for longevity. I am looking for a vendor to create this ring for a budget of $750.00 max. Can it be done? Please give me your recommendations.

IMG_0966.jpg IMG_0968.jpg

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have contacted a well respected jeweler based here in the US and the price was 25% more than I wanted to spend and that is reusing my stones. Perhaps there is a online store that I don't know of that might have a ring already made that is very similar in style? I have been very happy with a few vintage gold Deserio rings from Neiman Marcus but they are now making them in Sterling Silver and they don't go up to my size.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I have contacted a well respected jeweler based here in the US and the price was 25% more than I wanted to spend and that is reusing my stones. Perhaps there is a online store that I don't know of that might have a ring already made that is very similar in style? I have been very happy with a few vintage gold Deserio rings from Neiman Marcus but they are now making them in Sterling Silver and they don't go up to my size.
I think there is a similar design from Berricle but that would still be a CZ center. I think you can get them in 10k or 14K gold though and they seem to be well made. There are a few threads under FFJ from the last couple of months. Definitely worth getting their coupon codes for maximum discount.

I have a 4 carat emerald moissanite but the larger you go in moissanite, the more double refraction you will see and the less it will look like a diamond. Also a custom cut in that size might still be over $400 and then the setting on top of that, plus the risk of ordering from China. I had a similar looking ring but with an antique cushion and tapered baguettes.

I still think Berricle is your best bet. If you have a quality setting, you can always just change out the center CZ when they start going hazy but I have heard good things. Might want to check with some of the ladies that have made purchases.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I think there is a similar design from Berricle but that would still be a CZ center. I think you can get them in 10k or 14K gold though and they seem to be well made. There are a few threads under FFJ from the last couple of months. Definitely worth getting their coupon codes for maximum discount.

I have a 4 carat emerald moissanite but the larger you go in moissanite, the more double refraction you will see and the less it will look like a diamond. Also a custom cut in that size might still be over $400 and then the setting on top of that, plus the risk of ordering from China. I had a similar looking ring but with an antique cushion and tapered baguettes.

I still think Berricle is your best bet. If you have a quality setting, you can always just change out the center CZ when they start going hazy but I have heard good things. Might want to check with some of the ladies that have made purchases.

Thank you for the reply - I just looked at Berricle and they are sterling from what I gather. Thank you for the input on the emerald moissanite - I had wondered about that. I would love to have a August Vintage Emerald Cut - they look divine but the size I want is out of my range at this point. I have seen others having issue with the orders from China that I am wary of going that route. I look everyday for a pre-owned ring on ebay and loupetroop. I am afraid I may not end up with a Christmas gift this year! I thought that there must be a vendor out there for fine CZ pieces but maybe I have found a need in the market! I will check with a local bench jeweler this week and see what he says.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
UOTE="oodlesofpoodles, post: 4622074, member: 97145"]Thank you for the reply - I just looked at Berricle and they are sterling from what I gather. Thank you for the input on the emerald moissanite - I had wondered about that. I would love to have a August Vintage Emerald Cut - they look divine but the size I want is out of my range at this point. I have seen others having issue with the orders from China that I am wary of going that route. I look everyday for a pre-owned ring on ebay and loupetroop. I am afraid I may not end up with a Christmas gift this year! I thought that there must be a vendor out there for fine CZ pieces but maybe I have found a need in the market! I will check with a local bench jeweler this week and see what he says.[/QUOTE]
I would ask @JPie. I am almost sure that she bought an emerald that was in gold and not silver. There have been a few issues with some of the Chinese vendors but Starsgem and Tianyu have been pretty consistently good. At the minimum, you could just order the loose stone and have it set into your existing ring. It is worth getting a quote from them. It is a Chinese holiday this week so they won’t be back in their offices until Sunday evening, if you are in the US. You can email Cherry Zheng at [email protected] or Ella at [email protected]. Both of these people speak good English and are reliable vendors.

This is my emerald that I bought loose. I also had a larger emerald that I was looking at so you can see what it would have looked like. I also had an Antique cushion with tapered baguettes.

This was one they showed me was a 12x10 which is probably 5-6 carats from SG:

E6547534-99E4-470B-A3CC-3C7C144B528D.jpeg
In a ring made by a custom jeweler but with an 11x9. You can see a bit more of the difference with moissanite in pics but it looks pretty white in person (but not as white as a CZ):
BEBCBEED-7E64-44E0-856C-530973458C26.jpeg
769FB6B3-8884-46BE-A798-35B560159636.jpeg C53F2932-4BEC-4BD4-981B-AA724970A122.jpeg D579B313-F005-462D-ACA3-096F8B62A808.jpeg

This was an antique cushion I did in setting by SG with moissanite tapered baguettes:
50F1088A-CC47-46D0-A0E3-986DF016D552.jpeg 52866A01-85BE-4874-93E0-1C18CB1F4F8D.jpeg D1144505-10C4-4815-8A0C-E7CDD635BEE6.jpeg
This is another 4 carat antique cushion that I did as a custom design with diamond baguettes.
15418E78-14A1-4CFF-A990-39BB246CE39B.jpeg
E52CB399-4CAC-4E2F-A524-BF7BB0615C94.jpeg
I think you can get your stone with tapered baguettes and stay pretty close to your $750 budget if you go with 14K gold. It is a shame that gold prices are so higher at the moment. Mine is also a G/H stone that SG cut pretty white. I was surprised as I was expecting it to be a bit more yellow. It won’t be as white as your CZ but still very white. This just gives you some real life options to judge since i also like sizable stones on my 8-8.5 finger.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@swaye2010 I do have an emerald set in 18K, though it’s a color gemstone and the setting was made by Dolly’s bench (@xothebijouxbox on Instagram). I haven’t worked with Tianyu or SG yet.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
UOTE="oodlesofpoodles, post: 4622074, member: 97145"]Thank you for the reply - I just looked at Berricle and they are sterling from what I gather. Thank you for the input on the emerald moissanite - I had wondered about that. I would love to have a August Vintage Emerald Cut - they look divine but the size I want is out of my range at this point. I have seen others having issue with the orders from China that I am wary of going that route. I look everyday for a pre-owned ring on ebay and loupetroop. I am afraid I may not end up with a Christmas gift this year! I thought that there must be a vendor out there for fine CZ pieces but maybe I have found a need in the market! I will check with a local bench jeweler this week and see what he says.
I would ask @JPie. I am almost sure that she bought an emerald that was in gold and not silver. There have been a few issues with some of the Chinese vendors but Starsgem and Tianyu have been pretty consistently good. At the minimum, you could just order the loose stone and have it set into your existing ring. It is worth getting a quote from them. It is a Chinese holiday this week so they won’t be back in their offices until Sunday evening, if you are in the US. You can email Cherry Zheng at [email protected] or Ella at [email protected]. Both of these people speak good English and are reliable vendors.

This is my emerald that I bought loose. I also had a larger emerald that I was looking at so you can see what it would have looked like. I also had an Antique cushion with tapered baguettes.

In a ring made by a custom jeweler but with an 11x9. You can see a bit more of the difference with moissanite in pics but it looks pretty white in person (but not as white as a CZ):
769FB6B3-8884-46BE-A798-35B560159636.jpeg C53F2932-4BEC-4BD4-981B-AA724970A122.jpeg D579B313-F005-462D-ACA3-096F8B62A808.jpeg

This was an antique cushion I did in setting by SG with moissanite tapered baguettes:
50F1088A-CC47-46D0-A0E3-986DF016D552.jpeg 52866A01-85BE-4874-93E0-1C18CB1F4F8D.jpeg D1144505-10C4-4815-8A0C-E7CDD635BEE6.jpeg
This is another 4 carat antique cushion that I did as a custom design with diamond baguettes.
I think you can get your stone with tapered baguettes and stay pretty close to your $750 budget if you go with 14K gold. It is a shame that gold prices are so higher at the moment. Mine is also a G/H stone that SG cut pretty white. I was surprised as I was expecting it to be a bit more yellow. It won’t be as white as your CZ but still very white. This just gives you some real life options to judge since i also like sizable stones on my 8-8.5 finger.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much for your reply - your rings are gorgeous and the emerald ring is stunning!! I love the extra design elements you added that give it that vintage feel. I'm a fan of the double claw prong as well. It eases my mind that you have had success with the overseas vendors with the more simplified settings and I may contact them next week. Thank you for the contact information.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@swaye2010 I do have an emerald set in 18K, though it’s a color gemstone and the setting was made by Dolly’s bench (@xothebijouxbox on Instagram). I haven’t worked with Tianyu or SG yet.

Thank you for your reply =)2

Ladybug1

Shiny_Rock
UOTE="oodlesofpoodles, post: 4622074, member: 97145"]Thank you for the reply - I just looked at Berricle and they are sterling from what I gather. Thank you for the input on the emerald moissanite - I had wondered about that. I would love to have a August Vintage Emerald Cut - they look divine but the size I want is out of my range at this point. I have seen others having issue with the orders from China that I am wary of going that route. I look everyday for a pre-owned ring on ebay and loupetroop. I am afraid I may not end up with a Christmas gift this year! I thought that there must be a vendor out there for fine CZ pieces but maybe I have found a need in the market! I will check with a local bench jeweler this week and see what he says.

I think you can get your stone with tapered baguettes and stay pretty close to your $750 budget if you go with 14K gold. It is a shame that gold prices are so higher at the moment. Mine is also a G/H stone that SG cut pretty white. I was surprised as I was expecting it to be a bit more yellow. It won’t be as white as your CZ but still very white. This just gives you some real life options to judge since i also like sizable stones on my 8-8.5 finger.[/QUOTE]

Wow! I am in love with all of your rings!!! So lovely.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your reply =)2
Not sure why that posted twice but I should have said it was soxfan that bought the emerald from Berricle. I did lot and it is a shame they don’t do fine metals in that size/shape. There have also been a few on the Tianyu thread that were pretty big but you have have to be happy with the double refraction. The trade off is the long term wear.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was that quote using Stuller settings or custom? This is a simple baguette setting but for larger stone so J would think Stuller catalog would have something to fit those stone sizes.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure if you are looking to reset the Berricle stones in gold or are looking for the stones+gold budget to be $700-ish. I would recommend Daniel M if you are providing the stones, and if you are looking for the stones too, I think it can only be done with overseas vendors for that cheap. But beware, because I don't know how the new tariffs would affect imports? I think it's 25%?

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I have gotten a quote from Nick at Infinity Jewelers USA I found on Etsy. He can make the ring and modify it to fit a band for under my budget! They have a stock ring that is so close but wouldn't allow for the band for under $400 in white gold. To customize he quoted 650.00 because that adds a significant gold weight plus to size for my finger. They have a LOT of choices in various white, yellow or rose gold with CZs or moissanite and are based in Michigan. The prices and pieces look great - has anyone purchased from them? My other quote was from David Klass I think it was custom - I know he has an impeccable reputation but it was over $1000. If I go with Nick anything I would get has no returns because I would need to size it above their normal range of 8. Makes me a little nervous but less so than it coming from overseas and I don't have to be worried about the import taxes.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a list of recommended Etsy and eBay setting vendors over at color stone forum.

Dhana

Shiny_Rock
@oodlesofpoodles did u end up going with infinityjewellers ? I also came across the etsy site and was just wondering how was your experience

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results