shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for opinions on this diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stan the man

Rough_Rock
I''m looking at bluenile as even though thier prices are a bit higher, using their UK store I''ll save on international shipping, import duty(5%) and assosiated handling costs.

Looking for ~ 1.25ct great cut white colour, some blue fluro.

Absolute Max budget including a platinum setting and tax(17.5%) is $7000

So what do you guys think of this stone I''m not sure about the large feather but I''ve already sent a mail to ask for more detail on the inclusion and hopefully some pics.

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00110682&keyword_search_value=LD00110682

Stock number: LD00110682
Price: $5,451 USD
Bank wire price: $5,370 USD
Carat weight: 1.38
Cut: Ideal
Colour: I
Clarity: SI2

Depth %: 62.2%
Table %: 55%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Strong blue
Measurements: 7.10 x 7.15 x 4.43 mm

crown 35% pavillion 40.8% gives an HCA of 1.4.

Any other suggestions gladly recieved.

thanks

Stan

GIA15220045_zoom.jpeg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good, but I''d be very afraid of an SI2 feather that reaches to the girdle. It''s risky considering a return is not going to be easy for you. I''d stick to SI1 or up if shopping internationally, especially.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think this feather or inclusion need not be a problem if you are going to claw/ / prong set it - just put the prong over the inclusion to protect it and then you will not see it either.

I and strong blue is a good option.

But this stone has internal graining which can result in fluoro cloudiness. I would want to compare it with another diamond and be sure it is not cloudy.

But cloudiness is very very rare.

I found a 1/2 ct G stone in stock the other day with off the scale blue fluoro - we looked at it in daylight - beside a D master it was D! And we could not see any cloudiness in sunny daylight - it was crisp and icy.

stan the man

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replys. Sorry meant to say I was planning on setting it in the 6 prong solitare and hopefully a prong could cover most of the feather as Gary said.

Didn't know about the internal graining and possible cloudiness. Would I have to see the stone in person to judge it. Obviously I can purchase the stone and then return it but that involves shipping and bank wire charges then I'd lose out on the exchange rate twice. Maybe an independant appraisal would be a good idea. Though as bluenile UK store ships from IRELAND and so avoids EU import duty, I'm not sure where best to get it appraised.

Maybe I should just invest in an idealscope and look at some real diamonds here in the UK. Many jewelers here don't give much if any info on cut.

I'll just have to wait for bluenile to get back to me.

Thanks again

Stan

stan the man

Rough_Rock
Gary what about this BIC(I think) for similar money?

Carat weight: 1.03
Cut: Very Good
Colour: H
Clarity: VS2

Depth %: 61.1%
Table %: 55%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium
Measurements: 6.53 x 6.59 x 4.01 mm

crown % 28 pavillion % 42 HCA 2 ex vg vg vg

GIA15082713_zoom.jpeg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Stan this will be a very bright diamond - so much so that the fire will be a little hard to see in some lighting - but it will still be there.

Great spread, and the color and clarity are much safer.
it is rare to find these stones with great symmetry and polish.

Have them send it to an appraiser in USA first if you are in any doubt.

I know Dave Atlas is very interested to see good examples of these stones - find him on the list in the upper right

UK BIC.JPG

stan the man

Rough_Rock
Thanks for taking the time for me Gary that sounds and looks great. In Scotland the sun rarely comes out so brightness and scintillation are more important than fire. As long as some can be seen under candlelight I''ll be delighted.

I''m pretty confident this is the right purchase so probably won''t bother with the appraisal. Is there anything else I should be aware of? This report doesn''t mention any internal graining so I shouldn''t worry about fluro cloudiness.

Thanks again for your input

Stan

I''m getting quite addicted to this think I''ll be investing in an idealscope to compare all my family and friends diamonds.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That 2nd stone looks awesome! Can''t wait to see your photos of it! Love the info that Garry posted.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/27/2006 8:21:34 PM
Author: stan the man
Thanks for taking the time for me Gary that sounds and looks great. In Scotland the sun rarely comes out so brightness and scintillation are more important than fire. As long as some can be seen under candlelight I''ll be delighted.

I''m pretty confident this is the right purchase so probably won''t bother with the appraisal. Is there anything else I should be aware of? This report doesn''t mention any internal graining so I shouldn''t worry about fluro cloudiness.

Thanks again for your input

Stan

I''m getting quite addicted to this think I''ll be investing in an idealscope to compare all my family and friends diamonds.
Yes - please send us ideal-scope photo''s too and let us compare - they are easy - dead easy to take with a digi cam. then we can compar it to this virtual stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results