shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Opinions on this Diamond

Qurious

Rough_Rock
I'm currently looking for a diamond for a solitaire engagement ring. I've found one that I think seems like a good pick based on proportions and HCA, but have some concerns on the VS2 clarity rating with comment "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown". I know this is generally something to avoid for a lower clarity grade, but I'm not sure if it is a risk for a VS2.

Blue Nile - Astor Ideal - G - VS2 - 1.27ct

Does this diamond appear cloudy in the picture/video? I did not pick up cloudiness and haze with my untrained eye. I compared it against the diamond below which was very similar in terms of cut, color, and carat weight, but was graded IF (not in my budget, just for comparison to identify cloudiness).

Blue Nile - Astor Ideal - G - IF - 1.21ct (for comparison only)

Blue Nile was not much help on it and stated that if the clouds are not plotted, they are not of concern, which I don't believe is correct when it is the setting characteristic. They did say it would not have been selected as an Astor if it was hazy/milky. The GemEx report looks good, which gives some confidence, but I'm not sure that would pick up on any transparency issue. Anything else standout as an issue for this diamond? Thanks!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would hesitate to go for a VS2 with "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown."

Would you be open to another vendor? Whiteflash has super ideal cut diamonds which are cut with more precision and have superior light performance to Blue Nile Astor Ideal. They also have one of the most generous upgrade policies in the industry.

This stone is a VS1 for around the same size and price, with better light return and optical symmetry than the Blue Nile stone.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would hesitate to go for a VS2 with "Clarity grade is based on clouds that are not shown."

Would you be open to another vendor? Whiteflash has super ideal cut diamonds which are cut with more precision and have superior light performance to Blue Nile Astor Ideal. They also have one of the most generous upgrade policies in the industry.

This stone is a VS1 for around the same size and price, with better light return and optical symmetry than the Blue Nile stone.

Absolutely - my thoughts exactly!!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, @Qurious !
Concurring with the others, it's best practice to avoid any diamond with heavy clouding, and especially any diamond with the notation "clarity based on clouds not shown". Huge kudos for recognizing that and wanting to get more information about it...there are so many others out there that aren't as lucky.

Screenshot_20220807-074137.png

Qurious

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am definitely open to other vendors and did look through some of the WhiteFlash as well. Their ACA diamonds all look quite nice.

I was considering Blue Nile since I was able to get a discounted price from them and I have a local store nearby. But if I can find something similar in price ($10k-$11.5k) with similar or better cut and without the clarity issue, I'd go for that as well.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am definitely open to other vendors and did look through some of the WhiteFlash as well. Their ACA diamonds all look quite nice.

I was considering Blue Nile since I was able to get a discounted price from them and I have a local store nearby. But if I can find something similar in price ($10k-$11.5k) with similar or better cut and without the clarity issue, I'd go for that as well.

Definitely recommend that you strongly consider Whiteflash, Victor Canera, Brian Gavin, JannPaul, and a few others due to the strict vetting, outstanding optical performance, and amazing upgrade programs.

Qurious

Rough_Rock
I found a few which I like through WhiteFlash. I'm debating between color vs carat size. Would an I color grade vs G or F be noticeable? This would be on a platinum or white gold solitaire setting. The I grades around around 1.3-1.35 ct and the G/F grades around 1.15-1.2. All are VS1/VS2.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a few which I like through WhiteFlash. I'm debating between color vs carat size. Would an I color grade vs G or F be noticeable? This would be on a platinum or white gold solitaire setting. The I grades around around 1.3-1.35 ct and the G/F grades around 1.15-1.2. All are VS1/VS2.

I would ask WF to take side by side pics of the top 2-4 stones you are considering. They have all stones in house, which is a huge advantage of working with them

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

G-H is considered a sweet spot by many. This is a bit more, but it would get you just over 1.2ct. and is a happy medium in terms of color.

Qurious

Rough_Rock
G-H is considered a sweet spot by many. This is a bit more, but it would get you just over 1.2ct. and is a happy medium in terms of color.

That is a nice looking one, thanks. Are the grade-setting clouds an issue here. I expect not since it is VS2 and seem smaller.

I'm also looking at these four from WhiteFlash. Any thoughts on standouts among these?

WF ACA - 1.32ct, I, VS1
WF ACA - 1.19ct, F, VS2
WF ACA - 1.16ct, G, VS1
WF ACA - 1.22ct, G, VS1 (Budget Stretch)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
That is a nice looking one, thanks. Are the grade-setting clouds an issue here. I expect not since it is VS2 and seem smaller.

I'm also looking at these four from WhiteFlash. Any thoughts on standouts among these?

WF ACA - 1.32ct, I, VS1
WF ACA - 1.19ct, F, VS2
WF ACA - 1.16ct, G, VS1

Being an ACA with tremendous white light return, I'd gun for the biggest spread.
If it turns out that you are sensitive to the color, then WF will definitely accommodate you for an exchange to any in-stock diamond within the first 30 days.
But that's me.
Which one are you drawing to the most right now?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

WF ACA - 1.32ct, I, VS1
WF ACA - 1.19ct, F, VS2
WF ACA - 1.16ct, G, VS1

ACAs are all screened very thoroughly, so I would not be worried about transparency issues for them, especially in a VS2.

The F VS2 is my favorite of the 4 due to the balance of color and size and still being within budget. But definitely take lovedogs's suggestion of asking Whiteflash for side-by-side photos of your top 4.

Qurious

Rough_Rock
I went ahead and asked for some side-by-side views on these four.

Right now, I was liking the 1.32ct due to the larger size and the color looked more similar to a G grade to me when comparing the pictures next to each other (some other I grades seemed more yellow to me). Not sure if that is real or just the picture.

Next to that (and if the I color is more yellow than pictured) I like the 1.19ct F.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I went ahead and asked for some side-by-side views on these four.

Right now, I was liking the 1.32ct due to the larger size and the color looked more similar to a G grade to me when comparing the pictures next to each other (some other I grades seemed more yellow to me). Not sure if that is real or just the picture.

Next to that (and if the I color is more yellow than pictured) I like the 1.19ct F.

Consider having WF include either/both in your comparisons;

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results