shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Old European cut diamonds and opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coccochanel27

Rough_Rock
My OEC and platinum e-ring was stolen. While in the process of replacing it I have been given the option of getting a modern brilliant cut. The brilliant cuts do seem to sparkle more, which I like, but my OEC seemed to go well with the antique look of my setting and I always got a lot of compliments on it. I was wondering if I went with a brilliant cut would it change the overall look of my ring drastically? I am very indesicive and am looking for opinions!!!

Here is the link to my setting http://weddingband.com/somos9012.html

Also, I was wondering if anyone knows of any sites where I can find loose OEC''s. The only one I''ve come across thanks to a PS member is www.oldworlddiamonds.com .

Thanks,
Kristen

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Try typing OEC or Old European cut into the search engine, because there are a lot of threads about finding loose OECs. I can't remember the other vendor that has been talked about for finding good, loose OECs, but try antiqueengagementrings.com. They have some lovely things. I am so sorry about your ring. Also, look up estate jewelers in your area, because sometimes they will carry loose stones as well.

ETA: I would choose a good OEC over an ideal round brilliant any day. My e-ring now is a round brilliant, but those OECs are gorgeous! I personally can tell the difference between OECs and round brilliants not only because of the cut, but also because the flashes of light they give off is very different. Round brilliants have more pinpoint flashes of light and color while OECs, as you know, have those really broad bursts of color.

*M*

coccochanel27

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your opinion and the advice poptart. Please excuse my husband''s VERY BAD attempt at trying to be funny!
emangry.gif

I know I am probably driving him crazy because i can''t make up my mind. The jeweler the insurance company is making us use did not even attempt to find a new OEC and offered me two RB stones which are both bigger and better colored than what I had, although they are lower in clarity. However if I decide not to use him and cash out, I will get less money since their jeweler said he can replace my ring for $1500 less than what we had it insured for. I''m afraid I won''t be able to find an OEC as nice as what I had and get the same setting for that amount of money.

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I read the thread that he started, but didn''t comment because I don''t know much about insurance. If you really don''t want the round brilliants (and I wouldn''t either), then I would probably just take the cash out and use that towards a new setting. I am surprised they haven''t attempted to replace the same type of stone you lost, though. I guess you need to first decide whether you want round brilliants or another OEC, and after you''ve made that decision that will lead you to taking the cash out or not. Sorry for doing the flame face at your husband... it''s hard to read humor over a computer screen.

*M*

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
If your insurance policy reads that they will replace with "like kind" . . . I believe they MUST replace with what you had . . . i.e. OEC . . . I don''t see how they can say they will not give you the full cash out option. Only if you turn down a "like kind" can they not give you the full cash out option. I would check out the wording on your insurance policy and make this point to them.

coccochanel27

Rough_Rock
Well we need to fight it. The replacement jeweler did not even try to look for an OEC and told me that the RB''s he was showing me were better than what i had. He said most jewelers just recut OEC''s the new way since they are more desirable. He also had not even attempted to get the price of my exact Somos setting when he came up with the $1500 less quote, in fact when we met with him he hadn''t even heard of Somos!!! So if we fight I hope we can get more money and not what he quoted.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2007 12:04:19 AM
Author: coccochanel27
Well we need to fight it. The replacement jeweler did not even try to look for an OEC and told me that the RB''s he was showing me were better than what i had. He said most jewelers just recut OEC''s the new way since they are more desirable. He also had not even attempted to get the price of my exact Somos setting when he came up with the $1500 less quote, in fact when we met with him he hadn''t even heard of Somos!!! So if we fight I hope we can get more money and not what he quoted.
If you signed the paperwork and cashed the check you may be out of luck but if not
you need to talk to an independant appraiser then go back to the insurance company.
It sounds like it would be money well spent.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
A lot depends on the how the appraisal that was submitted is written. The more detail on the appraisal, the closer to what you had will be offered in the replacement.

If you had an OEC where all the proportions were defined, the insurance company needs to get a lot closer to the original item, than just finding any old diamond that is cheaper in order to save them replacement expense, while you are not being made "whole". Hopefully the appraisal goes into great detail, and has photos with it, along with the proportions, clarity grade, color and weight stated on it properly.

If the insurance company cannot replace it, with an item that is reasonably like the one you had, they should cash you out for the amount of the insurance you purchased.

Putting a modern round cut stone in a "antique" style piece would change the style of the item.

You do need to review the terms of the policy, as to what you need to do in the event that you don''t agree with the settlement or replacement offer.

Rockdoc

kellyfish

Brilliant_Rock
The OEC is a totally different animal!! I''d consider antique cut cushions or OMC''s, too if your taste is for the older, chunkier look--which I happen to love. Yes, those cuts may be off-makes, but they have wonderful character. Push for what you wish!! Best luck & keep posting on your search. I''d love to vicariously enjoy looking for one of these beauties with you!!
30.gif

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Are you near Santa Monica, CA?

treysar

Brilliant_Rock

I’m a big fan of OEC’s – so much that someday if I ever get an upgrade I would consider getting an OEC in place of my RB.

So, if I wre you, I would choose to get another OEC.
LOVE the setting by the way, and I’m sorry about your missing stone.

coccochanel27

Rough_Rock
Ok folks, I have decided to go with an OEC to replace my stolen e-ring. I love the character the OEC''s have and I just don''t think a RB will do my antique style Somos setting justice. Since I''m a newbie when it comes to buying a diamond (although I think I''m becoming obsessed, and can see this becoming a fun hobby), I am looking for advice and opinions.

I''ve been searching for an OEC like the one I had (1.62ct, M, vs2) and have only found ONE loose stone so far with the same specs as mine. They are asking $5418 for the stone. However I did find this interesting antique ring which might be a better deal. It is set in platinum, and they claim that the center OEC is 2.00ct, has a K color and a VS1 clarity. The stones on the mounting also eaqual another 1.0 ct. I don''t have any other specifics on the center stone yet so I don''t want to get my hopes up , but I think for $6500, it may be worth getting this ring and having the center OEC set in the setting I had. Was also thinking that down the road an emerald or a sapphire would look good in that mounting!

Here''s a pic of the piece

coccochanel27

Rough_Rock
No :) Not near Santa Monica. I am on the East coast..... Jersey girl!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the setting would be nice with a colored stone, but does the center look a bit yellow? could be just the photo and I am not an OEC expert at all...

how did your ring get stolen? that is so terrible.

coccochanel27

Rough_Rock
Yes it is a tad yellow but my stone was an M color but was set pretty low in my setting. My jeweler told me that would make it appear whiter and it really did. I have to see this ring in person. The site says that the jewlelry can be sent for private viewing. I wonder how this works?!

My rings were stolen out of my wallet in my purse!
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results