shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for large white pearl studs - are WSS for me?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Consider me a pearl newbie, I’m just at the beginning of my hunt. I’ve decided that I’d eventually love some pearl studs in a larger size 10-12mm (still narrowing down the size) and I do not like how pinked earrings look on me.

From pictures I like how WSS look, but maybe some freshwater studs exist out there that would suit me? I just want a white white look. Luminous would be good too haha.

Can you tell me where you would focus your research if you were me? Thanks in advance!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would advise trying different sizes and shapes in costume pearls first, before plunging lots of money into an expensive WSS.

I lusted after a pair of 12mm white round pearls for years, and found a pair of cultured fresh water ones that I liked in Hong Kong when I was there in 2009.

Good job I got them first, as I discovered they did not suit me, and made my already wide face even wider by sticking out as my hair was short and cut above/around the ears.

IMHO, it really depends on one's hairstyle and shape of one's face etc... Based on what I can remember when we met in Vancouver a few years ago, I believe big round studs would suit you.

HOWEVER, I would strongly advise you to try costume jewellery for size and feel first before spending money on the real thing!!!

Don't forget large pearls can be heavy on the earlobes causing them to stretch and even droop.

DK :))

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would advise trying different sizes and shapes in costume pearls first, before plunging lots of money into an expensive WSS.

I lusted after a pair of 12mm white round pearls for years, and found a pair of cultured fresh water ones that I liked in Hong Kong when I was there in 2009.

Good job I got them first, as I discovered they did not suit me, and made my already wide face even wider by sticking out as my hair was short and cut above/around the ears.

IMHO, it really depends on one's hairstyle and shape of one's face etc... Based on what I can remember when we met in Vancouver a few years ago, I believe big round studs would suit you.

HOWEVER, I would strongly advise you to try costume jewellery for size and feel first before spending money on the real thing!!!

Don't forget large pearls can be heavy on the earlobes causing them to stretch and even droop.

This is excellent advice, thank you!! Hopefully I can have a new pair by the time we meet again <3

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@yssie sorry to bother you, but I was hijacking another thread when I asked about the shell pearl studs you were mentioning. I tried google and Etsy but I’m not sure I found the kind of thing you were describing. Would you mind giving me a little more information? You described them as cheap and shiny white :)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I have a pair in that size from Andrew Moline. No photos though. They are nice.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pair in that size from Andrew Moline. No photos though. They are nice.

Oh ok! Maybe I’ll message him? Mind if I ask the size of yours? And is the price (using yssie’s scale I saw somewhere) kind of like… xxxs? Lol
I would love to see a pic of these one day if you ever wanted to post one!

oh sorry- edited to say: I think you were talking about WSS and I thought you were talking about shell pearls. I reread it though.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Oh ok! Maybe I’ll message him? Mind if I ask the size of yours? And is the price (using yssie’s scale I saw somewhere) kind of like… xxxs? Lol
I would love to see a pic of these one day if you ever wanted to post one!

oh sorry- edited to say: I think you were talking about WSS and I thought you were talking about shell pearls. I reread it though.

Yeah, mine are WSS.

I would start wtih white freshwater button pearls if I were you. I had a pair of those for years and I wore them a ton. I knew I'd wear the WSS in the larger size because I had the freshwater buttons that I had worn- and the freshwater buttons were cheap. Those are a good tester!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, mine are WSS.

I would start wtih white freshwater button pearls if I were you. I had a pair of those for years and I wore them a ton. I knew I'd wear the WSS in the larger size because I had the freshwater buttons that I had worn- and the freshwater buttons were cheap. Those are a good tester!

Ok! That’s a great tip! Thank you!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are after inexpensive large roundish white pearls to try for size, then perhaps look for Edison and Tahitian pearls in 11mm+ sizes.

Check out the listings of WillPearlJewelry on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/WillPearlJewelry?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=638402434

Not sure on the look you are trying to achieve, however, personally, I believe this look below is too much, in that the earrings are wearing her and not the other way round - my eyes are drawn to the earrings first! I suspect they are 12-13mm round ones.

1642626956326.png

Below is a pic of me in the short hair cut above the ears wearing my 12mm blue Tahitian studs, and I don't like it as mentioned already mentioned:

Now that I am wearing my hair slightly longer on the sides, I may try and see if that makes a difference or not. I still have them as they are blues and I love blues and cannot part with them.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are after inexpensive large roundish white pearls to try for size, then perhaps look for Edison and Tahitian pearls in 11mm+ sizes.

Check out the listings of WillPearlJewelry on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/WillPearlJewelry?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=638402434

Not sure on the look you are trying to achieve, however, personally, I believe this look below is too much, in that the earrings are wearing her and not the other way round - my eyes are drawn to the earrings first! I suspect they are 12-13mm round ones.

1642626956326.png

Below is a pic of me in the short hair cut above the ears wearing my 12mm blue Tahitian studs, and I don't like it as mentioned already mentioned:

20201118_215229.jpg

Now that I am wearing my hair slightly longer on the sides, I may try and see if that makes a difference or not. I still have them as they are blues and I love blues and cannot part with them.

Thank you DK! I will check that Etsy shop and I’m going to buy some cheapie fakes to test sizes. I’m pretty sure I want BIG but goodness me, I agree that I need to wear the pearls and not have them wear me. I’ll show a pic of a size I like.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 I believe the size I’m going for is… “wannabe royal” lol

Attachments

• 206419E7-672F-4F6F-9867-FD6566DAD413.jpeg
    206419E7-672F-4F6F-9867-FD6566DAD413.jpeg
    236.3 KB · Views: 37

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 I believe the size I’m going for is… “wannabe royal” lol

I suspect they are 10mm or 11mm as her earlobes do not appear to be that big.

I can just about wear 10mm round ones without them sticking out too much. I can wear bigger buttons and coins and do.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can just about wear 10mm round ones without them sticking out too much. I can wear bigger buttons and coins and do.

Ok noted!! I bought some 10mm, 12mm and 14mm cheap fakes. I’ll report back. :)

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good suggestion DK . And a nice wide range of sizes Pearaffair. Keep in mind they are heaps lighter than real pearls but perfect for judging size. 14 imo is too big for studs but ok for drops. I think 10-11 is a great size for big studs, large enough to be noticed without overpowering.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock

Excellent advice DK!

I was going to guess 10mm for the picture as well- I don’t have pearls that size but I do have 10mm gold ball studs and it’s the max for me before the studs start to look odd/heavy/sticky-outy.

Definitely good to try out inexpensive trial earrings before splurging!!!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Excellent advice on trying on costume pearls for size. I would second the reminder that 12mm WSS are quite heavy and prone to dropping which costume pearls probably won’t do.

there are some nice white Edison pearls on Etsy which may scratch the itch for you if you don’t want to spend too much!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good suggestion DK . And a nice wide range of sizes Pearaffair. Keep in mind they are heaps lighter than real pearls but perfect for judging size. 14 imo is too big for studs but ok for drops. I think 10-11 is a great size for big studs, large enough to be noticed without overpowering.

Oh thank you for mentioning the weight! I totally forgot to factor that in!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent advice DK!

I was going to guess 10mm for the picture as well- I don’t have pearls that size but I do have 10mm gold ball studs and it’s the max for me before the studs start to look odd/heavy/sticky-outy.

Definitely good to try out inexpensive trial earrings before splurging!!!

I am trying to make my pearls educational journey less expensive than my diamond educational journey lol! The learning-by-buying is effective but expensive! lol!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent advice on trying on costume pearls for size. I would second the reminder that 12mm WSS are quite heavy and prone to dropping which costume pearls probably won’t do.

there are some nice white Edison pearls on Etsy which may scratch the itch for you if you don’t want to spend too much!

Are Edison pearls always… not spherical? (Still learning)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sweet spot for round pearl studs is 10-11mm -- and I have large ear lobes. This pearl is 11mm.

11mm Tahitian studs, forum size photo.jpeg

That is stunning on you!! Thank you for sharing!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are Edison pearls always… not spherical? (Still learning)

Top grade Edisons are very round.

Google Edison Pearls JCK and have a look at some of the returned results.

White ones rival WSS in appearance and more affordable IMHO.

I am not going down that rabbit hole as my strand of silver tone WSS is good enough for me, unless I win big money on the lottery! :lol-2:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm super late to this thread but ditto what everyone else has already said!

For me the size-limiting factor is weight. And how much stick-out-off-the-ear I can tolerate. I like these for visual size testing, they're super cheap and look like crap but they're actually round so they let you judge fit on your ear quite well. (Super light, too, real pearls are tons heavier so not useful in that regard either. Strictly for size aesthetic.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DV65TTT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_3PPG855VBSXM4DHNVB88

For me - I can't wear any pearls over 11mm without BlingDots, they get too heavy. I find 10-11mm super comfy without any support though! That's my size sweet spot.

I'll multiplitto the idea of Edisons - they aren't a walk in the park to find either, but I'd think they'd be easier and much more cost-effective than WSS :appl:

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am trying to make my pearls educational journey less expensive than my diamond educational journey lol! The learning-by-buying is effective but expensive! lol!

I thought you had completed the freebie pearl education course?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For me the size-limiting factor is weight. And how much stick-out-off-the-ear I can tolerate. I like these for visual size testing, they're super cheap and look like crap but they're actually round so they let you judge fit on your ear quite well. (Super light, too, real pearls are tons heavier so not useful in that regard either. Strictly for size aesthetic.)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DV65TTT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_3PPG855VBSXM4DHNVB88

18mm looks really droopy and they are light, imagine what it would be like with real pearls!

DK o_O

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 @katbran with Edisons, since they're bead nucleated - is there just one pearl per mussel?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top grade Edisons are very round.

Google Edison Pearls JCK and have a look at some of the returned results.

White ones rival WSS in appearance and more affordable IMHO.

I am not going down that rabbit hole as my strand of silver tone WSS is good enough for me, unless I win big money on the lottery! :lol-2:

Ok thank you! I will look into this!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

For me - I can't wear any pearls over 11mm without BlingDots, they get too heavy. I find 10-11mm super comfy without any support though! That's my size sweet spot.

I'll multiplitto the idea of Edisons - they aren't a walk in the park to find either, but I'd think they'd be easier and much more cost-effective than WSS :appl:

These are great suggestions, thank you! Do you know if moline pearls or takahashi sell Edison pearls? I can ask them myself but I hate to bug sellers unless I’m asking for something they are likely to have.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought you had completed the freebie pearl education course?

I have done the GIA one, and am halfway through the Pearls as One course. My biggest problem is that I’m a sleep-deprived mama so my memory sucks! But I’m persevering anyways haha!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results