shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for help with new/preowned flower ring project

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I purchased a preowned flower shaped ring with a small opal in it and I’m thinking of swapping it with either a candy pink 4.9mm Tanzanian spinel or a 5.5mm bright yellow Mali garnet. It might come down to which one fits better. I think the opal is around 5.2mm. I’m leaning towards the garnet because I am dying to set that one but what do you all think would look better?

Is this ring too “grandma” or can I pull it off as stylish?

Here’s the ring, the stones and some pathetic mock-ups.

0210D5E1-57D4-4BB3-A168-30595A4AB40D.jpeg 02F9D773-5170-4937-9827-87848C9D24B4.jpeg 2965EC1C-1A75-4D94-AA5B-AF5DEF9A35F7.jpeg

1536AA4C-B2B7-493D-8FFD-CEDAA6B3EB3A.jpeg F26EC1A0-5B86-49E7-80E5-EAE9482E1FB2.jpeg 61843D30-4782-49A2-B3C1-38E1BF4BE187.jpeg

0A05DCA0-306A-4C3C-B5B4-306186F18EB2.jpeg
78359266-63AC-48CE-8FCA-737C327FBF6B.jpeg CA8F15F0-01FB-4237-9698-F1C2F0C3DC35.jpeg E5203549-24E6-4972-BA9B-3A7253082A44.jpeg 5D589C60-C0FD-4B23-AD89-256B6819D2FE.jpeg

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
I thought I would go for the pink spinel, but after seeing the Mali garnet, I think the flower definitely deserves a bright and sunny centre! It compliments the richness of the gold so nicely. I find yellow gems to be hard to set—pinks are so much easier and more versatile—so when you find a design/setting that works with your yellow gem, I say go all in!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
its going to be awsome
if that's grandma then that's a pretty cool grandma

when i was younger no one had cool grandparents (that's not a criticism rather an observation)

i would love one of these butter cup type rings

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pink!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So faceted only, no cabs? My preference is a contrasting colour, so that it pops out.

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like we are about 50:50 as to pink or yellow. I do think the contrast of pink would pop better but I also like the idea of the super sparkly diamond-like Mali blending in with the yellow gold but sparkling like crazy.

I was trying to imagine what a flower looks like and some are just yellow but with more than one shade and still pretty.

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for pink! The contrast would be gorgeous!

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think it's adorable and that you can't really go wrong with any of the three stones pictured.

The opal is nice imo. If you like it, just leaving it as-is would be the easiest, least expensive and lowest risk option. It also seems to me the middle choice in appearance, between a pop of color and a go-with-anything neutral.

The bright pink stone would be the most contrast, for a pop of color.

And the yellow stone would go with anything, as has been mentioned. It might also look diamondish.

Also, I don't think of it as granny. I'd call it more a "romantic" look, to go with a frilly top or sun dress. :)

Last edited:

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I just remembered my new plastic baggie trick for visualizing stones in settings that already have a stone in them. Here are some photos of the stones in the setting. I’m still torn. You all make very good points. The pink one has a small tilt window and an inclusion. I also have a few pink stone rings at this point but no yellow (other than my warm colored diamond.)

02723C90-4EE3-4BD2-8C58-851FA15E312F.jpeg 1715A1E6-71D0-43BD-B292-60089F0DBEAF.jpeg 357379BE-2E07-440C-A14C-97A15A55359B.jpeg 4201EF63-1E7B-4FBD-B55C-42829B739853.jpeg

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's adorable and that you can't really go wrong with any of the three stones pictured.

The opal is nice imo. If you like it, just leaving it as-is would be the easiest, least expensive and lowest risk option. It also seems to me the middle choice in appearance, between a pop of color and a go-with-anything neutral.

The bright pink stone would be the most contrast, for a pop of color.

And the yellow stone would go with anything, as has been mentioned. It might also look diamondish.

Also, I don't think of it as granny. I'd call it more a "romantic" look, to go with a frilly top or sun dress. :)

Glad you like it and it’s not granny. I’m not ready to be granny yet but I do worry sometimes about being too old to wear certain things.

I don’t love the opal so I’m at least down to two options which was why I purchased the ring anyway.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it with the Mali garnet. My personal preference is for pink stones in white metal, I think the setting is really cute.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I personally really don't like pink stones in yellow gold. So I would definitely choose the garnet over the spinel. If I'm fully honest, I love it with the opal most. :bigsmile: But it's your parade, so go with what you love the most. And it's definitely not even close to granny style. Florals are always so youthful.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's cute setting!

My first reaction was pink because I think the richness of the yellow gold requires a stone with the most contrast in color for it to stand out.

But in the second set of shots, I am second guessing as the mali garnet seems to pop more due to the sparkle vs the softness of the pink.

I think you should go with whichever stone stands out the most in the setting irl so it is the center of attention.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t own any cabs and I purchased the ring to try to set one of my stones but I’m sure a cab would look great too.

Going to put this out there because you don't seem "sold" on either stone in this particular setting (but I could be wrong and if so, ignore the rest of this).

At one point, I realized that I had too many loose stones and I focused on setting them. (And when I focus on something - it just gets done). I was pretty successful in doing so economically - probably creating 2-3 rings a month - using preloved settings, settings from my jeweler's scrap box and buying settings from jewelry store closings (as well as committing to my backlog of custom projects). It also helped that I had an inexpensive bench - setting stones $20, sizing $20 (more if there was prong or other additional work to make the stone fit - but you get the picture). Don't know your costs but I suspect most pay more.

But in looking back, if the combination didn't make my heart sing or stand out, the rings just sat in a box as I reached for those that did...so instead of loose stones in a box, I now had rings sitting in a box. So now if I have a stone I love or get a great deal on a setting that's my style - I just wait for the perfect pairing (but I can do that comfortably having cleared out all those unset stones). But that's just me.

What you love and like is what matters -and- I don't want to discourage you. If you love one of the combinations and the ring style is something you would wear (as opposed to what others like), then that is what I would move forward with.

(If you don't love either stone in the setting, I think an inexpensive purple garnet would look fabulous).

Last edited:

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Going to put this out there because you don't seem "sold" on either stone in this particular setting (but I could be wrong and if so, ignore the rest of this).

At one point, I realized that I had too many loose stones and I focused on setting them. (And when I focus on something - it just gets done). I was pretty successful in doing so economically - probably creating 2-3 rings a month - using preloved settings, settings from my jeweler's scrap box and buying settings from jewelry store closings (as well as committing to my backlog of custom projects). It also helped that I had an inexpensive bench - setting stones $20, sizing $20 (more if there was prong or other additional work to make the stone fit - but you get the picture). Don't know your costs but I suspect most pay more.

But in looking back, if the combination didn't make my heart sing or stand out, the rings just sat in a box as I reached for those that did...so instead of loose stones in a box, I now had rings sitting in a box. So now if I have a stone I love or get a great deal on a setting that's my style - I just wait for the perfect pairing (but I can do that comfortably having cleared out all those unset stones). But that's just me.

What you love and like is what matters -and- I don't want to discourage you. If you love one of the combinations and the ring style is something you would wear (as opposed to what others like), then that is what I would move forward with.

(If you don't love either stone in the setting, I think an inexpensive purple garnet would look fabulous).

This is good advice either way because this is exactly what I have been doing in trying to get my loose stone collection set into jewelry. Some have turned out well and others less so.

In this case I think I would like either of these but I can only choose one so that’s why I’m torn. I’m not in love with the pink spinel only because it has a small tilt window and some inclusions that are only sometimes visible. I don’t think these issues would be noticeable once set unless looking for it though.

I think my main issue is trying to imagine how I will wear the ring - with what outfits and on what occasions and will it be too cute such that I don’t want to look silly wearing it.

I think at this point I have decided on the garnet because it will be more versatile and less girly pink since I have plenty of other pink stone rings. I love the other ones and don’t need another pink ring. I don’t have a yellow stone ring.

Thanks for the advice and I am starting to learn to be more careful in choosing settings for stones. I agree that I don’t want to end up with a bunch of rings that never get worn.

My biggest mistake was actually when I set my very first colored stone into a custom setting. It really just didn’t turn out how I expected and it cost a ton of money. I have been happier with some of my preowned project rings but one or two will not get worn as often as the rest. It’s definitely a learning process and not a cheap one.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Due to how closed the setting is, this is perfect for any stones with slight tilt windows or minor cut issues. You have decided on the yellow, which I think will look scrumptious too!

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
Since you stated have multiple pink rings- I’d go with the yellow.

Interested to hear the process the jeweler will go through to convert from cab setting to faceted setting.

I’m not sure it’s even possible to replace the opal without also changing the crown and I don’t know how difficult that would be.

I’m trying to appreciate the opal but I find it a little bit boring. :)

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I used to have an opal ring and once I painted the bottom of the stone with black watercolor paint. I was just goofing around but I thought it looked great. Just a random thought there...

If your plan doesn't work out, maybe you could also look for a similar sized cab to switch it with.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is good advice either way because this is exactly what I have been doing in trying to get my loose stone collection set into jewelry. Some have turned out well and others less so.

In this case I think I would like either of these but I can only choose one so that’s why I’m torn. I’m not in love with the pink spinel only because it has a small tilt window and some inclusions that are only sometimes visible. I don’t think these issues would be noticeable once set unless looking for it though.

I think my main issue is trying to imagine how I will wear the ring - with what outfits and on what occasions and will it be too cute such that I don’t want to look silly wearing it.

I think at this point I have decided on the garnet because it will be more versatile and less girly pink since I have plenty of other pink stone rings. I love the other ones and don’t need another pink ring. I don’t have a yellow stone ring.

Thanks for the advice and I am starting to learn to be more careful in choosing settings for stones. I agree that I don’t want to end up with a bunch of rings that never get worn.

My biggest mistake was actually when I set my very first colored stone into a custom setting. It really just didn’t turn out how I expected and it cost a ton of money. I have been happier with some of my preowned project rings but one or two will not get worn as often as the rest. It’s definitely a learning process and not a cheap one.

i absolutly promise hand on heart that you will not look silly wearing this ring
its lovelly and will be just as lovelly when you reset it with something you love
i think that ring would wear wellpop with anything day or night, casual or formal
just stick it on your finger and rock that flower !
btw i am actually a very conservative person who doesn't like to stand out but i want your ring !!!

year i totally get the worry about wasting money on mistakes, sometimes they become exspensive lessons, but we have to learn from those and move on - im specifically talking about jewlery here - because dwelling on those mistakes robs us of joy (i have made plenty), i know its disappointing when something doesn't turn out as well as we envisioned but this ring is going to be gorgouse and i really hope a stable in your jewlery box and im sure you will get lots of genuine lovelly positive comments from friends and family (in saying that only your opinion trully matters)

for me that wondow would bother me - id be always looking for the darn thing :lol-2:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Yellow. That garnet in that lovely gold will be so rich looking. I've tried to entertain the pink but I can't get over that garnet. You're lucky it's not up to me.
Yellow.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
I just remembered my new plastic baggie trick for visualizing stones in settings that already have a stone in them. Here are some photos of the stones in the setting. I’m still torn. You all make very good points. The pink one has a small tilt window and an inclusion. I also have a few pink stone rings at this point but no yellow (other than my warm colored diamond.)

02723C90-4EE3-4BD2-8C58-851FA15E312F.jpeg 1715A1E6-71D0-43BD-B292-60089F0DBEAF.jpeg 357379BE-2E07-440C-A14C-97A15A55359B.jpeg 4201EF63-1E7B-4FBD-B55C-42829B739853.jpeg

Oooh late to seeing this, but I quite like the yellow in the setting! So subtle!

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
The Mali garnet will be so fabulous in this setting---it's the perfect setting to showcase the performance of a Mali! Aagghhh, I SO wish I could see it in person when it's finished because I'd LOVE to see all the sparkles!

I don't yet have any of the mega-sparkle gems but I want them all. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results