shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for help w/ online diamond purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

paulp

Rough_Rock
Hi... I''ve been browsing pricescope on and off for a few weeks and I''m hoping to get some good advice. My budget for now is around $3500 for the diamond. I''m looking for a round to go in a fairly classic solitare setting(something like the pic). I''ve looked at union, solomon bros., lumera and a few others. I saw what I thought to be nice GIA .92 G SI2 at the local jeweler where I will be having the ring made. Seems that some say stay away from SI2, but it was eye clean...and thats ok with me. What about EGL''s, should I stay away?? Bottom line is I do have a buget and I''d like it to be as white and sparkly as can be for the money as well as eye clean. Any help/ideas/suggestion would be appreciated. THANKS

115783.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stay away from EGL as they can be usually lower in both color and clarity grade by up to 2 grades if graded by AGS/GIA, so they are priced accordingly by trade as a discount. You get what you pay for.

If it is eye-clean, no reason not to stay away from it.

paulp

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the link.. I saw some that look pretty good. When looking at the GIA I have been looking at G or better. Do you think I can go to a lesser color if cut grade is high, polish and sym are very good or excellent?? Also, as i mentioned I''m considering an SI2... Will an SI1 vs. SI2 affect overall performance on an eye clean diamond?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
H/I color is still face up quite colorless, especially well cut stones, depending on how sensitive you are to color.

Clarity, really a case by case situation for SI and lower grades, so best to ask the vendor to inspect it, can''t really tell just from image. There can be eye-clean and no effect on overall performance SI2 but you will have to go through a lot more stones to find it.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Right. SI2 is definitely territory where you have to see it to know if it''s acceptable to you. If you''re not buying locally, you need to find a vendor whose eye you trust.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2009 11:09:50 AM
Author: paulp
Thanks for the link.. I saw some that look pretty good. When looking at the GIA I have been looking at G or better. Do you think I can go to a lesser color if cut grade is high, polish and sym are very good or excellent?? Also, as i mentioned I''m considering an SI2... Will an SI1 vs. SI2 affect overall performance on an eye clean diamond?
Hi Paulp

EGL can in fact be even lower than 2 grades in some cases so really best to stick to AGS or GIA graded diamonds. A great cut will make the best of any colour and clarity grade and SI can be an excellent choice if eyeclean, but it is best to work with a trusted vendor who has access to the diamonds in order to advise you on suitability.

paulp

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help so far!! Definitely staying w/GIA. Might start to search up to an I in color, seems that most agree its still a respectable color?? I''m very specific when talking to the sales people I''ve called about not wanting visual defects when searching SI''s so hopefully this will pay off. Now...Where do I buy?? Who do I trust??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2009 12:04:46 PM
Thanks for all the help so far!! Definitely staying w/GIA. Might start to search up to an I in color, seems that most agree its still a respectable color?? I''m very specific when talking to the sales people I''ve called about not wanting visual defects when searching SI''s so hopefully this will pay off. Now...Where do I buy?? Who do I trust??
Any of the PS vendors are completely trustworthy and will do a great job for you. What are your priorities, getting the largest diamond you can for the budget?

paulp

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/6/2009 12:19:08 PM
Author: Lorelei

Any of the PS vendors are completely trustworthy and will do a great job for you. What are your priorities, getting the largest diamond you can for the budget?
I just saw 2 that GIA''s that impressed me- a .90 F, SI1 and a .91 H VS2. So.....Here is what I''m thinking from what I''ve been able to compare at local jewelers..

#1= Cut
#2= Clarity&Color are tied here.....
#3= See #2!!
#4= I''d like to be above a .90 (possibly a very nice .88 or above)

OVERALL..... I want a real performer. I don''t want to compromise carat for quality.

paulp

Rough_Rock
What about H&A or AGSO?? Is there a noticeable difference vs. those that don''t qualify??

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2009 3:21:36 PM

I just saw 2 that GIA''s that impressed me- a .90 F, SI1 and a .91 H VS2. So.....Here is what I''m thinking from what I''ve been able to compare at local jewelers..

#1= Cut
#3= See #2!!

OVERALL..... I want a real performer. I don''t want to compromise carat for quality.
Are you planning on buying on line or with your jewelers? Doesnt matter but you need to post the depth,
table, crown angle and pavilion angle for these stones so we can determine if they are well cut. This info
will be on the GIA cert.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/6/2009 3:32:58 PM
What about H&A or AGSO?? Is there a noticeable difference vs. those that don't qualify??
It depends, some h&a brands are also AGS0 also visual differences can vary according to the cut qualities and optical symmetries of each.

Here is a diamond which might work for you if eyeclean,

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1218702.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

Another, check it is eyeclean and that the cloud inclusion isn't impacting brilliance, ask JA to check if you are interested.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/F-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1253665.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131

paulp

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/6/2009 3:38:41 PM
Author: tyty333

Date: 11/6/2009 3:21:36 PM

#1= Cut
#3= See #2!!

Are you planning on buying on line or with your jewelers? Doesnt matter but you need to post the depth,
table, crown angle and pavilion angle for these stones so we can determine if they are well cut. This info
will be on the GIA cert.
I''m going to buy online..... I felt it was a good idea to get some visuals, thats why I looked at local jewelers. Will include more info when I find one I''m really interested in

dmus

Shiny_Rock
I just helped my son-in-law get a great round for $3500 online last September from JA.

Suggestions:
- JA and the other onlines allow you to do searches with price range, cut and grade ranges. I''d suggest doing that at JA and the others to narrow your choices.
- Suggested parameters VS2-SI2, F-H, very good to excellent on cut, $2800-3800, .8 to 1.05
- Prescreen with HCA calculator for those scoring under 2
- Then have the great people on PS here give you their input on your 3-4 finalists. Cut is most important and allows you some leeway on color if cut well
- You can then ask the online vendors for idealscopes and ASSET for confirmation on light performance and they''ll usually do visual check diamonds for you for eyeclean

You never know where this will take you. We ended up with a .96 SI1 with H or I (can''t remember color), great cut. What a performer!!!!! And it had medium flourescence which scared me but it just made the diamond standout that much more. Good luck. You''re in good hands with the people here.

Dave

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi dmus, great to see you!! How does your daughter and SIL like the ring?
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results