shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Help Picking an Oval

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

Back to ask for help with a budget friendly oval! I'm competent when looking at rounds but fancy diamonds are out of my comfort zone... Again, for the budget, it'll be a more subtle stone...but will go in a ring.

I appreciate all of your help! Some notes...

-absolutely open to "used" or vintage ovals.
- 2500 CDN or roughly 1800 USD for budget for stone..

And that's about it! Looking for best bang for buck (aren't we all?!)
Take care!

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Anyone? Lol...

Hope everyone is having a great Friday!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hopefully someone knowledgeable will chime in, it may help if you find some options for yourself post the links and ask for opinions. I ended up going for an August vintage oval when I was buying because I just couldn’t find a standard oval that I felt was good enough, unfortunately the lowest availble one is 2300 USD and I’m not sure if they will meet your bang for buck criteria anyway:confused:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Stive85,
Totally true that rounds and ovals require totally different methods of evaluation.
With ovals, your eyes and taste need to be the determining factor.
There's not a narrow set of table, depth, ca/pa etc- that work.
Part of the reason is the variation from stone to stone.
A round is always circular- while ovals can take all sorts of profiles.
Plus, there are Oval Brilliants and Oval Modified Brilliant cuts- both/either can be glorious or yuckypoopoo....with no set rules on which will look better....

So get pics/videos....maybe go into stores to see what shape works best.....
What sort of ring are you considering?

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the replies!

Looking for an average ratio oval and having it set in a thin 4 prong band in 14 k white gold..

Just don't know where to start... I've had am awesome experience with ID jewelry for an eternity band not long ago... Because it's so hard to find in house ovals... Would contacting Yuketiel and seeing if he could source some be worth it?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe that IDJ may well be able to find some suitable options if you request 'Pricescope quality' ovals :lol:

To ask the question... are you (and more importantly the recipient) open to Man Made Diamonds? It would open up options but there are considerations in terms of long term value and also the method of manufacture.

Hi Stive85,
Totally true that rounds and ovals require totally different methods of evaluation.
Plus, there are Oval Brilliants and Oval Modified Brilliant cuts- both/either can be glorious or yuckypoopoo....with no set rules on which will look better....

New avatar pic, RD! Looks like a good beach :))

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for replies! I like the b2c one...bht will contact them to ask!

As for man made... I think id like to stick with natural..

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a 'classic' oval, I (personally) like it.

No bow-tie, pretty chunky faceting without too much 'mush', quite a high crown so should give decent 'fire', the biggest inclusions are under the facets surrounding the table so it looks pretty eye-clean (and they might be able to be hidden under prongs), it's hiding a bit of weight in the thick girdle but not too much, performs well with minimal tilt-windowing off-axis.

Nice find IMHO :)

Place it on hold ASAP if you like it, as otherwise a lurker might snap it up. Request the grading report so you can check the inclusion plot.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Stive85,

Whoa.
You changed your photo.
You can't just up and change your photo - what were you thinking?
:confused2::lol-2:

Ss52

Shiny_Rock

Not so much. . Lots of mushy area.

However, tyty posted this diamond in his original post. It was a bit lost in the many others so maybe It was overlooked. Of all so far, this is the best IMO. Evs1. The faceting is excellent! Within budget. Oh, and the faceting....so nice. Give it a good look. A beautiful oval. Thanks Tyty.

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...NDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&catalogView=true

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results