shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for help buying first big(ish) diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,
I''m sure you get this all the time, and I apologize for the millionth question of this nature, but I could really use some help.

I want to get an engagement ring for around $4,300 total. I want a center stone that''s about 90 points give or take. I went to the diamond district and really liked a few stones that were between d-f color, SI1 clarity, and ideal cut, but I was very uncomfortable making a purchase with the pushy sellers on 47th. I can''t seem to find what I want at the "mall" type stores, and the local designer jeweler is much too expensive, so I was going to shop online (blue nile, union, etc etc). So the questions are:

1) Would you trust that a GIA cert. SI1 was eye clear if you couldn''t see it before buying?
2) How much does florescence matter for someone who just wants a really pretty stone?
3) If I have to sacrifice something, should I go with a G color or very good cut?
4) I see that even "ideal" cut stones have different ratios (the measurements for height, depth, etc). If I can''t see the stone, what should I look for to get the most fire?

Again, sorry if these are obvious questions, but last week I didn''t know what "SI1" meant. Baby steps...I want to get a stone she loves with all the fire and sparkle a novice would expect spending $4000 (I think my car cost less), but I don''t want to sacrifice size, since we all know that''s the first thing her extended family will notice...

And please, any and all suggestions are extremely appreciated.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$3878 with Pricescope discount buys you this Whiteflash ACA.

0.815 ct F VS2 round with an HCA score of 1.5 and no fluorescence.
It is graded by AGS, which I personally prefer to GIA.

Click

I have bought diamond from Whiteflash and they are very reputable.
I even return one and got my refund.
Everything went perfectly.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the top of this scree click on PRICES.
Then select Search by Cut.

For Cut Rank enter excellent to excellent and enter the rest of your specs.

It will return diamonds from some of the PS vendors, which are all very reputable.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 11:03:05 PM
Author:Picabia
1) Would you trust that a GIA cert. SI1 was eye clear if you couldn''t see it before buying?

2) How much does florescence matter for someone who just wants a really pretty stone?

3) If I have to sacrifice something, should I go with a G color or very good cut?

4) I see that even ''ideal'' cut stones have different ratios (the measurements for height, depth, etc). If I can''t see the stone, what should I look for to get the most fire?

1) Not all SI1 stones will be eye-clean, not even VS2, even if correctly graded by GIA/AGS. You will have to ask the vendor if the stone is eye-clean.

How various vendor define eye-clean. http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/78/1/What-is-an-Eye-Clean-Diamond--.aspx

2) As long as it is not an over-blue stone, which will turn a stone hazy/oily in the sun and only a small percentage does that, it is up to personal preference, some like the effect some don''t.

3) Depends on the proportion, what causes the VG cut and which lab grades the stone. Play a bit with the cut adviser. https://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp

4) Play with the cut adviser, generally higher crowns are better for fire.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2010 11:07:47 PM
Author: kenny
$3878 with Pricescope discount buys you this Whiteflash ACA.

0.815 ct F VS2 round with an HCA score of 1.5 and no fluorescence.
It is graded by AGS, which I personally prefer to GIA.

Click

I have bought diamond from Whiteflash and they are very reputable.
I even return one and got my refund.
Everything went perfectly.
Nice pick, Kenny! That stone made my short list recently when I was picking out a stone to get a ring I have redone. The only thing that got that one eliminated is I got it in my head I wanted a "D", so I paid a chunk more for a stone that''s probably not any prettier than this one.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/10/2010 11:03:05 PM
Author:Picabia
Hi everyone,
I''m sure you get this all the time, and I apologize for the millionth question of this nature, but I could really use some help.

I want to get an engagement ring for around $4,300 total. I want a center stone that''s about 90 points give or take. I went to the diamond district and really liked a few stones that were between d-f color, SI1 clarity, and ideal cut, but I was very uncomfortable making a purchase with the pushy sellers on 47th. I can''t seem to find what I want at the ''mall'' type stores, and the local designer jeweler is much too expensive, so I was going to shop online (blue nile, union, etc etc). So the questions are:

1) Would you trust that a GIA cert. SI1 was eye clear if you couldn''t see it before buying? I wouldn''t unless I had a trusted expert inspect the diamond for me that knew my expectations, for example, no visible inclusions from any angle or distance.
2) How much does florescence matter for someone who just wants a really pretty stone? It only matters if you don''t want fluorescence or if in the case of strong blue, this causes the diamond to look cloudy in some lights, this is rare but always best to check with strong or very strong blue.
3) If I have to sacrifice something, should I go with a G color or very good cut? It depends on the cut, some GIA VG cut grade can be excellent diamonds so it depends on the overall proportions of the diamond, going by cut grades isn''t a guarantee of any level of cut quality or beauty.
4) I see that even ''ideal'' cut stones have different ratios (the measurements for height, depth, etc). If I can''t see the stone, what should I look for to get the most fire? A steeper crown can enhance fire in some cases ( look for 35.5 deg and above) along with a pavilion angle of no more than 40.6 and a small table ( 53 - 56% as a rough example), but again a trusted expert is your best bet to describe individual performance nuances and the personality of the diamond.

Again, sorry if these are obvious questions, but last week I didn''t know what ''SI1'' meant. Baby steps...I want to get a stone she loves with all the fire and sparkle a novice would expect spending $4000 (I think my car cost less), but I don''t want to sacrifice size, since we all know that''s the first thing her extended family will notice...No need to apologize, ask anything you like and we will do our best to help you!

And please, any and all suggestions are extremely appreciated.
Hi Picabia,

Thoughts are above.

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone,
This is a bit more complicated than I had anticipated. Would you guys recommend against buying online for someone who isn''t extremely versed in all of this? My fear is I won''t get exactly what I want locally, but at the same time, I won''t be able to see diamonds side by side online.

Or perhaps a better question would be, would you trust an online shop more than or equal to one of the small shops in the diamond district? At least I could see the diamonds there, although I felt very rushed and uncomfortable...

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
i would actually recommend TO buy online if you are not that experienced
2.gif
you can ask for all the documentation you want, take your time, not feel pressured, and "talk" about the purchase on PS:)

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Pricescope is not really affiliated with the dealers that their diamond search engine searches, correct? If that''s so, is there somewhere I can go here to get a list of "reputable" online sellers or is that a faux pas? I''ve been looking at blue nile and union diamond. Are they safe? And what others do people recommend for someone like me who doesn''t really know that much and wants decent customer service to really help me put a ring together?

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Here''s one from BGD that is just in your budget. You can probably find something similar for less $ at JA if you dig a little.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040375560001

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
What is JA? Sorry--still learning the lingo...

cemrn

Brilliant_Rock
There are many reputable vendors mentioned here. Read around and you''ll see. When I first found this board I noted the following to be highly regarded:
briangavindiamonds.com
whiteflash.com
engagementringsdirect.com (mark)

and these were the 3 I contacted. There are many others such as goodoldgold.com and more I am sure others will post for you
In the end I wanted a recut and then to add diamonds so I went with Brian Gavin.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2010 8:30:02 PM
Author: Picabia
Pricescope is not really affiliated with the dealers that their diamond search engine searches, correct? If that''s so, is there somewhere I can go here to get a list of ''reputable'' online sellers or is that a faux pas? I''ve been looking at blue nile and union diamond. Are they safe? And what others do people recommend for someone like me who doesn''t really know that much and wants decent customer service to really help me put a ring together?

Those companies are advertisers (pay to be in the search.) There are strict rules for participation in the forums, though, which you may have noticed. All of the PS advertisers are considered to be of good repute--if they weren''t, Pricescope wouldn''t allow them to advertise here.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/11/2010 8:41:30 PM
Author: JulieN

Date: 4/11/2010 8:30:02 PM
Author: Picabia
Pricescope is not really affiliated with the dealers that their diamond search engine searches, correct? If that's so, is there somewhere I can go here to get a list of 'reputable' online sellers or is that a faux pas? I've been looking at blue nile and union diamond. Are they safe? And what others do people recommend for someone like me who doesn't really know that much and wants decent customer service to really help me put a ring together?

Those companies are advertisers (pay to be in the search.) There are strict rules for participation in the forums, though, which you may have noticed. All of the PS advertisers are considered to be of good repute--if they weren't, Pricescope wouldn't allow them to advertise here.
Absolutely.

If you are in NYC, then you could make appointments with the following vendors that have a brick and mortar store presence as well as online,

www.jamesallen.com

www.idjewelryonline.com

www.exceldiamonds.com

www.engagementringsdirect.com

Also www.goodoldgold.com are in Long Island if you were up for the trip.

Picabia

Shiny_Rock
Lorelei,
Are you sure James Allen has a shop in NYC? I couldn''t find them on google maps.

lily000

Rough_Rock
I just bought a diamond from JA and visited their corporate office to do so. Just give them a call or an email and let them know that you are interested in viewing some diamonds in person. You can choose 3 diamonds to view at a time. I had a great experience with them and their prices beat the vendors I had visited in the diamond district.

suzannea

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I also just bought from James Allen- online and had a great experience- I would definitely recommend buying online- they will get you all of the info you want and you can post here for help- the people here were wonderful to me and I got an awesome diamond at an awesome price from James Allen. I would definitely buy from them again- another one to look at is Good Old Gold- they have a really nice buy back and upgrade policy. Good luck!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also note that none of us posting are affiliated with any of the vendors we recommend. We are consumers like you who have spent time on these forums and from what we have seen, have drawn conclusions about which vendors are reputable. The vendors already talked about in this thread are vendors with proven track records on PS, and I would buy from them without any worries. PS gives the consumers power because many of the vendors we recommend care a lot about their reputations on PS, and so they are very motivated to have happy customers report their experiences on PS. When something goes wrong, they will make it right.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results