shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Expert Advise on Diamond (For Engagement Ring)

nintendo

Rough_Rock
Hey all,

I'm new to the forums, and at first was solely going with diamond.pro's advice on an engagement ring I wanted to get. But, in this day of age you need a second opinion. Also, after reading the post "Just proposed. I think I screwed up with my ring choice...", I'm still trying to grab my mouth off from the floor. I know my girlfriend would never do something like that, but I am coming on here for expert advice so I am 100% confidence with my choice and decision. I have done A LOT of research, months in actually. I've broken down to only one shop which I feel good buying from and that's James Allen (never buying from a brick & motor shop like Birks/Tiffany). I was going to go with Blue Nile but more research made me drop them. Here is what I believe I want in a diamond since it's not only about size. I'm 100% sticking to "Round" diamond. I was going to go with a Princess cut, however, I'm more of a traditional man and feel that a round diamond is more beautiful in sight than a Princess cut. To be quite frank, even the word princess has no relevance to the cut other than some diamond cutter giving it that name. Anyhow, I've separated two sections, the "Diamond" and the "Ring". I've chosen one diamond at James Allen which it is quite pricey.

Diamond:

Carat weight:1.13
Certificate:AGS
Color:H
Shape: Round
Clarity: VS1
Cut: True HeartsTM Ideal
Depth %:61.50
Girdle: Thin - Medium
Table %:57.70
Culet:razz:ointed
Polish:Ideal
Crown ∠: 34.80
Symmetry:Ideal
Crown %:14.70
Fluorescence:None
Pavilion ∠:40.90
L/W/D (mm): 6.70*6.71*4.13
Pavilion %: 43.30

The price for this one is around $8700 US. I feel confident in this diamond because of it cut, 1.0 + carat, and the color and clarity are decent. I was hoping someone could chime in and give me their thoughts on the specs of the diamond.

Ring:

For the ring, I have this thought. The ring itself is not as important as the diamond in my books. I believe all the value should be in the diamond and the budget I have left will consider the lower end rings. What are some of your thoughts on this? Is the ring itself also as important as the diamond?

I have an issue with having smaller diamonds on the ring itself to compliment the bigger one. Reason being is that in the future, these diamonds can fall out and finding replacements can be such a big headache. I want my girlfriend to have the least headache/worries because something small like loosing the side diamonds can really give you a bad day :wavey:.

Any advice is welcomed and greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading!

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Looking for Expert Advise on Diamond (For Engagement Rin

You're going to get a lot of varying replies re: the diamond vs. ring debate. Some people are all about the diamond, some are all about the setting. I am a setting person and how my stone is set is of equal importance to the stone. There's nothing wrong with either POV, it just depends what's most important to your gf. If you don't know and want to surprise her, I always like the recommendation to put a stone in a simple solitaire and let her choose her own setting.

I would not let the small possibility of pave stones falling out dictate my setting choice. If you get a well made setting, that shouldn't be a factor. If that's what she wants. And on the off chance you do lose a stone, you would not need to source a replacement, your local jeweler would handle that for you.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

liaerfbv|1416236062|3785103 said:
You're going to get a lot of varying replies re: the diamond vs. ring debate. Some people are all about the diamond, some are all about the setting. I am a setting person and how my stone is set is of equal importance to the stone. There's nothing wrong with either POV, it just depends what's most important to your gf. If you don't know and want to surprise her, I always like the recommendation to put a stone in a simple solitaire and let her choose her own setting.

I would not let the small possibility of pave stones falling out dictate my setting choice. If you get a well made setting, that shouldn't be a factor. If that's what she wants. And on the off chance you do lose a stone, you would not need to source a replacement, your local jeweler would handle that for you.

I agree with liaerfbv... I think she'd be super excited to pick out the setting of her choice! To me, it's a win-win! ;))

nintendo

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the response. Never thought about having the diamond place on a temporary ring and allow my girl to choose her own. However, once the diamond is place on the ring and locked, isn't there a greater chance of damaging the diamond trying to remove it from it's locks? I believe I read on some sites saying they don't suggest this.

Lastly, what are your thoughts on the diamond I choose? Any insight? :read:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It is very easy to remove a diamond without damage to both the stone and setting if it is prong set in a simple 4 prong setting. Things get more challenging when the diamond is bezel set.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

nintendo|1416244506|3785174 said:
Thanks for the response. Never thought about having the diamond place on a temporary ring and allow my girl to choose her own. However, once the diamond is place on the ring and locked, isn't there a greater chance of damaging the diamond trying to remove it from it's locks? I believe I read on some sites saying they don't suggest this.

Lastly, what are your thoughts on the diamond I choose? Any insight? :read:
Only way to go... ;)) Don't gamble on an expensive setting hoping that she will love.

nintendo

Rough_Rock

Will do then!

Any thoughts on my choice of diamond?

Wednesday

Rough_Rock

nintendo|1416256623|3785333 said:
Will do then!

Any thoughts on my choice of diamond?

You started with princess, and then switched to round. Those are really different looks and I was wondering what your gf likes. If you know she likes rounds, then that's great! Just wanted to make sure since the switch was a little confusing to me.

cut_apprentice

Rough_Rock

I think you could even drop from VS1 to VS2, or even consider eye-clean SI1's as well. You can give James Allen a call and ask them if a particular SI1 is eye clean. Then you can take the $$$ and put it into a diamond with a larger diameter (or pocket it).

nintendo

Rough_Rock

@ Wednesday - sorry for the confusion. I was intially going with Princess Cut, but as I looked more and more at a princess diamond I couldn't aqppreciate the look of it as opposed to a diamond which really screams out beautiful. I also read that a princess cut won't be a clean (in terms of cut wise) as a round diamond which is why the diamond is a little more expensive.

@ cut_apprentice - Thanks for the suggestion! Will be looking into this right away. Funny how much you learn every day (and I've been doing this for months now!).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The diamond ring is for her, so please get her the diamond shape she likes. If she likes rounds, get her a round. If she likes cushions, get her a cushion. Doing so will limit the amount of disappointment from both parties down the road.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results