shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for Diamond online stores w/ AGS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JPWRana

Rough_Rock
I was referred to exceldiamonds.com by one of your users, and I can''t seem to find MORE online diamond stores like that one (I like how you can search for EXCLUSIVELY AGS-0 for Cut only diamonds).

Are there any others like that? On exceldiamonds, I noticed that the bump from an I color to an H color is about $1000 more than from a VS2 to a VS1. Is color ABSOLUTELY THAT MUCH MORE important? I''m looking for an I color (obviously or better), but would prefer an H if found.

Oh... and a few details of what I''d want...

At least a 1.3ct, budget: $5000-$7100.

IS this doable?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m pretty sure just about all the PS vendors carry AGS stones. If you search the vendors inventory most include the grading lab and report for you to view online. I belive all of WF''s ACA''s are AGS certified. GOG has many AGS stones as well.

JPWRana

Rough_Rock
hmmm... thanks guys for your help... but all these suggestions are for ROUND cut only...

the ones on exceldiamonds are for princess. On

https://www.pricescope.com/sift.aspx , When i scroll down to princess cut, there are VERY FEW diamonds available... like 4 only... does that sound right?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Excel may be your best bet for widest selection. As mentioned, the "Pricescope your diamond" tool above may help, has three different (or so) associated databases, and for even the biggest db (quick search all), I see only really one option meeting your sought after characteristics, from Blue Nile, less than $8K, but above your price point. There''s also Infinity Diamonds here, but I see nothing today meeting your specs. Certainly there''s more, but that''s all I know to point you to.

Consider advising your vendor (or two) of choice what you''re looking for, and enlist a friend in your search. Good shopping.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Quest jewlers has AGS O by search. Go to diamond search and do a search for rounds based on color, clarity and carat and when the results come up, click on signature. They are all AGS ideals. I have dealt with them and they are nothing but professional. Top notch business, great customer service and qualtiy and I love that its owned by 3 brothers. Hap, Pete, and Huan.

Bluehammer

Shiny_Rock
I did not realize you were looking for princess cut. My experience has been with rounds. But I do recommend calling several of the vendors (WF, GOG) etc. and ask them to look out for your specs.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
WF does carry AGS0 Princess cuts.

JPWRana

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think of...

1) This diamond? http://www.thediamond.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-msh-787.html?E+scstore#.

and, is this place www.thediamond.com a reliable place to shop for diamonds?

The webpage of the diamond has a pic of GIA, but it also says its cut to AGS standards... so which certification is it? Is it certified?

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/31/2006 12:45:53 PM
Author: JPWRana
What do you guys think of...

1) This diamond? http://www.thediamond.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-msh-787.html?E+scstore#.

and, is this place www.thediamond.com a reliable place to shop for diamonds?

The webpage of the diamond has a pic of GIA, but it also says its cut to AGS standards... so which certification is it? Is it certified?
Don''t know anything about this vendor. Found it amusing they say the stone is cut to AGS standards. Perhaps that''s because AGS is the only lab currently offering a cut grade for Princess cuts. None-the-less, the stone was graded by GIA (nothing wrong with that, btw). No stones are certiified. They are graded and a certificate from GIA provides a grading report.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/28/2006 1:32:50 AM
Author: JPWRana
hmmm... thanks guys for your help... but all these suggestions are for ROUND cut only...

sorry, most people are looking for rounds and you didn''t specify princess. my fault for not asking first
1.gif

Whiteflash, Icemine, Winfield''s, Pearlman''s all carry AGSO princess stones. Not all of them list their stones on their websites so you may have to email or call to see if they''ve got what your looking for.

JPWRana

Rough_Rock
hmmm... I guess i shouldnt buy from them then... nobody knows them... funny thing is that I found them thru the diamond search from THIS forum.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don't know, sorry. You can ask. Click on the GIA picture to see the report, I think.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Although no process is as comprehensive as doing everything....

Date: 8/31/2006 1:16:02 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Whiteflash, Icemine, Winfield''s, Pearlman''s all carry AGSO princess stones. Not all of them list their stones on their websites so you may have to email or call to see if they''ve got what your looking for.
The link I noted above, and here, for Infinity, will approach covering your bases (I think) for Infinity''s options, including not only Winfields, Icemine, DiamondExpert, but also some funny place in Minnesota, I think (?), that''s never heard of Pricescope!

But, far be it from me to suggest you not have a conversation with any of these fine vendors. And, if you talk to that guy in Minnesota, update us about them, too.

JPWRana

Rough_Rock
I checked on white flash, and the have a large variety, but only found 1 AGS princess cut diamond, so oh well.

What do you guys think of these diamonds from white flash? Which one gives me the best quality? By the way, is "strong blue" ok for fluorecense?

wf diamonds.JPG

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2006 9:19:31 PM
Author:JPWRana
I was referred to exceldiamonds.com by one of your users, and I can''t seem to find MORE online diamond stores like that one (I like how you can search for EXCLUSIVELY AGS-0 for Cut only diamonds).

Are there any others like that? On exceldiamonds, I noticed that the bump from an I color to an H color is about $1000 more than from a VS2 to a VS1. Is color ABSOLUTELY THAT MUCH MORE important? I''m looking for an I color (obviously or better), but would prefer an H if found.

IS this doable?
?

JPWRana

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/31/2006 5:28:28 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Date: 8/27/2006 9:19:31 PM

Author:JPWRana

IS this doable?

?
I did see that one, but I don''t know about diamonds with cracks on them... also, how much yellow does an I color show? I plan on putting this rock on a solitaire yellow gold setting.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Cracks? I didn''t notice that, but if they''re there, that doesn''t sound good. But, it got AGS0?

Otherwise, your plan of using WF to help evaluate your pick sounds good.

Regards,

JPWRana

Rough_Rock
by cracks I mean SI1 or SI2.

I found this one on White Flash. What do you guys think of it.

White Flash proposed.JPG

JPWRana

Rough_Rock
oh by the way, the price was $8040 with the pricescope wire transfer discount...

I really am inclined to get this diamond, BUT...

1) does an I color make that much of a difference? I plan to set this in a solitaire yellow gold ring.

2) It says that fluorescence is negligible. Is this ok? or is it supposed to be none?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I in yellow gold is fine.

Negligible is the lowest you can go.

JPWRana

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/1/2006 1:01:17 PM
Author: JulieN
I think I in yellow gold is fine.

Negligible is the lowest you can go.

What about I in NON-yellow gold? (just for my info)

I thought NONE is the lowest you can go?!?!?!
33.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The more important thing than I in yellow or white gold is that there are no zero durability issues (cracks!) in SI1. Usually, around here, color is more important than clarity (most would rather take an F SI1 than an I VS1) I in white gold is fine too, if well cut.

On AGS, negligible is the lowest you can go.

JPWRana

Rough_Rock
Thanks Julie for the input.

I did notice that on the online diamond stores too (White Flash, Excel Diamond, Blue Nile, Good old Gold, etc)... the difference between the jump from one color to the next (while holding all the other characteristics the same) can mean another $1000-1600 difference, BUT the difference in clarity from one scale to the next (ex: VS2 to VS1) is only about $300-500 at the most of difference. Now YOU GUYS here in the forums also see color more important than clarity

I am confused then... color is more important than clarity? because online diamond stores do think that based on prices.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Behind carat weight, I believe that clarity is the next largest determinant of price, cut equal of course.

However, the price difference between H and I is a significant difference, and when you''re jumping from I to H, that may be where you''re seeing that color costs more than clarity.

JPWRana

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/1/2006 1:49:44 PM
Author: JulieN
Behind carat weight, I believe that clarity is the next largest determinant of price, cut equal of course.

However, the price difference between H and I is a significant difference, and when you''re jumping from I to H, that may be where you''re seeing that color costs more than clarity.

Hmm... i wasn''t aware of this. So the closer i get to D color, the MUCH HIGHER the premium I would pay? So the higher premium starts with a jump from an I color to an H color? Would that be fair to say?

Oh, and by the way, is $8040 a good price for the rock?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The overall /trend/ is the lower you go in color, the bigger the discount (opposite of the higher up you go in color, the bigger the premium.) Discount and premium are the same thing, depending on which direction you''re going.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results