shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for best deal on a ~2CT Diamond

leejl01

Rough_Rock
Been researching like a madman for the best deal for a rock. I learned about this site from Flyertalk (another forum that focuses on travel and travel deals). I'm located in PA and am looking for the best deal to buy an engagement ring.

My current girlfriend is fairly picky so she's already let me know the ballpark of diamond that she wants:
Carat: ~2CT diamond
Cut: Very Good - Ideal
Color: H - G
Clarity: VS2 - VS1

I found this ring on Blue Nile that meets all these specifications (for comparison of course). She also likes the 6 prong Cathedral Pave setting on Blue Nile. Is this type of diamond good for this setting?

And most importantly, would I be able to get a better deal from another online vendor or a B&M shop?

Appreciate any help that I can get! TIA and I will respond to any questions

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 things. If you want a round stone dont settle for anything for anything less than a ex or ideal cut. Its what gives the stone the breathtaking performance. Dont conpromise on that with a round.

Does she like other shapes? Rounds are most expensive. If you just want the largest stone, I'd pick oval marquise and pear. They face up larger and are cheaper per ctw

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Generally, you will find that almost the entirety of posters here are very "pro" for buying online. Online stores do not have the overhead that B&M stores do, and generally have access to much larger inventory.

What is your budget? That type of setting will work great with a 2ct round if that is what you are asking. You may also read on here though that Blue Nile is a drop-shipper, and does not actually have those stones in-house so they are not able to evaluate them first-hand for you to determine the quality of the cut or clarity.

leejl01

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the responses already.

Good point Nielseel, she wants a round diamond (my personal joke is if there's a decision, she always picks the more expensive option).

Pandabee, My budget is around $20K. Ok, I have no problem buying online. I just heard from other places that its easier to negotiate with B&M places especially if you pay cash.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Would you be willing to go down in either color or clarity? You could look for a 2 ct I VS2 (perhaps look for ones with strong fluorescence to face up whiter) or you could look for a 2 ct H SI1 or SI2. I don't think you can get an excellent cut 2 ct H VS2 for 20K.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the stone you posted from bn also scores well on the hca, its just without someone reviewing it we wont know if the sb flour has any neg effects

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Just a brief note, my diamond is an I SI2, if you go down in clarity and stay eyeclean you will possibly be able to stay in budget or maybe look for a high H

Is 20k your entire budget or just for the stone?

If you would like to see more pictures of my ring just click my topics for the thread. I would post but I'm on my phone :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, we see it all the time where the specs don't match up with current pricing. I can promise you that most of us originally came here looking for education before buying a diamond. I wanted to give a local jeweler my business, but honestly, it just wasn't possible for them to match quality and price.

I would suggest looking at sites that show pictures of the stones because I cannot buy a stone blind from a drop shipper. You just need to see them and preferably with an idealscope image which will show if there is leakage in the stone. Some that do provide pictures,etc. are Good Old Gold, WhiteFlash, and James Allen. I have personally bought from the first two.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Strong floresence be careful

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry to butt in but the reason why rounds are more costly they have longevity.. Marquis and pear are on a down trend right now and have no resale or upgrade value. Stick to the round but find your perfect stone.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
sortmon|1358545546|3359053 said:
Would you be willing to go down in either color or clarity? You could look for a 2 ct I VS2 (perhaps look for ones with strong fluorescence to face up whiter) or you could look for a 2 ct H SI1 or SI2. I don't think you can get an excellent cut 2 ct H VS2 for 20K.
I agree, you will have to compromise somewhere with your budget to get her the 2ct she wants. I would look around at already set "I"color, SI1 & SI2's to see how they will look, before you set in stone what you will accept. My I color 2ct looks whiter that most I see. I compared it against a T&Co "G" 2ct and they looked the same.

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
heididdl|1358546539|3359073 said:

??? SBF would be gorgeous on a I/J stone. OP: below is a 2.008ct BGD SBF stone:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/2.008-i-vs1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104062571038

It's a bit higher, but it's over 2ct and it's completely clean and while it's an I color, the SBF will help it look G/H color. Considering it's difficult to find a half decent cut and clarity stone within that color and size, I think this is a great option!

Here's a good example:

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Round-cut/2.07-carat-G-color-VS2-clarity-Excellent-cut-sku-72386

It's more expensive and isn't as clean as the other stone. Plus this one looks a bit hazy while the other looks crisp...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1358559206|3359257 said:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/2.008-i-vs1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104062571038

It's a bit higher, but it's over 2ct and it's completely clean and while it's an I color, the SBF will help it look G/H color. Considering it's difficult to find a half decent cut and clarity stone within that color and size, I think this is a great option!

Here's a good example:

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Round-cut/2.07-carat-G-color-VS2-clarity-Excellent-cut-sku-72386

It's more expensive and isn't as clean as the other stone. Plus this one looks a bit hazy while the other looks crisp...
If he were to be paying that much over budget he could get it in his original specs

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Round-cut/2.07-carat-H-color-VS2-clarity-sku-180549

leejl01

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions so far. $25K is a little out of my price range. I am willing to skimp in certain areas as long as it looks nice. As long as the diamond has good value, I'm down with it. My $20K budget is just for the diamond.

So from what I'm hearing for the specs she wants, I probably have to cut down to a 1.8CT diamond?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no I wasn't suggesting you way that I was just saying if you did you'd get your ideal stone.

If you could go down to an I you'd really get the most bang for your buck. Its a minute color change to be able to go up in size. But with that said a 1.7 is still very large

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
leejl01|1358790855|3360991 said:
Thanks for the suggestions so far. $25K is a little out of my price range. I am willing to skimp in certain areas as long as it looks nice. As long as the diamond has good value, I'm down with it. My $20K budget is just for the diamond.

So from what I'm hearing for the specs she wants, I probably have to cut down to a 1.8CT diamond?

Here's a beautiful 2.01 J VS2 for about $15,800ish...it's a bit deep but scored 1.7 on the HCA and faces up pretty white for a J:
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Round-cut/2.01-carat-J-color-VS2-clarity-Excellent-cut-sku-180562

Another very white option that's a J and a hair deep but still scored 1.7 on the HCA:
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Round-cut/2.01-carat-J-color-VS1-clarity-Very-Good-cut-sku-97333

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
04diamond<3|1358794200|3361025 said:
leejl01|1358790855|3360991 said:

Here's a beautiful 2.01 J VS2 for about $15,800ish...it's a bit deep but scored 1.7 on the HCA and faces up pretty white for a J:
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Round-cut/2.01-carat-J-color-VS2-clarity-Excellent-cut-sku-180562

Another very white option that's a J and a hair deep but still scored 1.7 on the HCA:
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Round-cut/2.01-carat-J-color-VS1-clarity-Very-Good-cut-sku-97333
That second one is only vg symm and the faceting seems weird. I don't think the hca could be run if the symm isn't good
But still shows the other specs you can get if you drop to a j

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Fluorescence is either a quality that you like or don't like. Many people here prefer that their stone have fluor. or don't care others won't consider a stone at all. In a very few stones the SBF can impact a diamonds appearance, but it's not often and a gemologist can assess the stone for you. In a stone where the fluorescence doesn't impact the performance the only time it 's appealing(or not so appealing depending youe preferences) will be noticeable is in a lighting environments with UV such as clubs,blacklights,or sunlight.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nielseel|1358560723|3359278 said:
04diamond<3|1358559206|3359257 said:

Here's a good example:

If he were to be paying that much over budget he could get it in his original specs

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/Round-cut/2.07-carat-H-color-VS2-clarity-sku-180549

This one is now sold--I hope the OP bought it!!

leejl01

Rough_Rock

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
If you look at the diagram that shows the various percentages on the GIA cert, you will probably see "None" under the culet (and that seems to be NN on the JA table of info on the one I looked at), which is the default 0%. Culets aren't common on modern cut diamonds.

liz

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
leejl01|1358818911|3361336 said:

The only one out of these three I'd consider is the 1.85 H VS2...it scored a .8 on the HCA. I know people make a big deal about "VG" for symmetry being bad, but there are ones that are VG that score better than some "EXCELLENT" stones. Anyways the 1.85 is beautiful and if you were going to go with any of these, that'd be my pick.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
leejl01|1358543260|3359026 said:
Pandabee, My budget is around $20K. Ok, I have no problem buying online. I just heard from other places that its easier to negotiate with B&M places especially if you pay cash.

It is true that it's easier to negotiate with B&M places but the information that is missing there is that their prices are jacked way up, especially for the quality (most don't have stones graded by GIA or AGS, so you can't take their word on what you're buying). If you want to negotiate and feel like you're getting a discount, most B&Ms are good for that. If you want to know you got the best value for your money, shop online from reliable retailers (or reliable B&M retailers but it's hard to find those outside of the designer brands that come with their own markups). I'd prefer to not negotiate and pay a price I know is fair than to negotiate but possibly get ripped off anyway. Which unfortunately is pretty much the situation with regards to jewelry - and usually the former is found online and the latter in person. Obviously this doesn't hold true for every jeweler, but generally, I'd say, from what I've seen online and in my own shopping experiences.

leejl01

Rough_Rock
Yup, I'll definitely be buying the diamond online then. Now it's just time to decide which diamond I should get.

Nielseel, for the goodoldgold diamond, how do you know it's eyeclean? From the GIA report I'm kind of worried about the marks on the face of the reference diagram picture. Would those be visible to the naked eye?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
leejl01|1358876669|3361771 said:
Yup, I'll definitely be buying the diamond online then. Now it's just time to decide which diamond I should get.

Nielseel, for the goodoldgold diamond, how do you know it's eyeclean? From the GIA report I'm kind of worried about the marks on the face of the reference diagram picture. Would those be visible to the naked eye?
Contact them and ask. He would bevery up front about the quality of thay stone. Cjust ask if its eye clean at 6 inches and from the sides too if you care.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Anything you pick she will be thrilled as you spent so much time buying the best diamond for your budget. lucky girl

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
leejl01|1358876669|3361771 said:

If you want to see the stone, GOG makes fantastic videos. Maybe you can ask Jonathon to make a video of the stones you are considering. I would have him throw at least one 2ct+ in an "I" color, so that you can at least consider going down in color to get her the extra size and have him put it next to the higher color one. Especially since your original request was for a 2ct. Just an idea! If you do get a video, please share, I love GOG videos!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results