shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an umbalite garnet

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i know, the garnet hype is already over here on PS, but the umbalite garnet bug has just bitten me. I tried to find nice umbalite garnets, but at this moment it seems only Jeffery Davies has them in a bigger variety in his stock. I have made a collage of a few stones. Which one would you choose?

49D87303-A1F6-45F3-8C52-D1023BAFF42A.jpeg

Prices are between 175-350 USD. To tell the truth, I like all of them, but my favorite is the 2.9 ct., or the 3.16 ct? I really don’t know.

What do you think?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want one of these too, but I'm trying to wait until I get a lose stone set before I buy another one. :whistle:

Buy based on which color really speaks to you. That's what I do. Cut is also important but these all look nicely cut.

jewelsforalltosee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The garnet bug has bitten me too! I'm looking at one of JD's Mahenges. Of the ones you posted, I like the color of the 2.05 and 2.90 the best!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umbalite is a rhodolite that hails from the Umba valley in Tanzania. They have some beautiful gems from this region.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Umbalite is a rhodolite that hails from the Umba valley in Tanzania. They have some beautiful gems from this region.

Thank you TL :)

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well that Garnet I posted has sold!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes! I have already checked, and it was sold. But still thank you for your effort.

jewelsforalltosee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I also get Gary's emails, and now I feel I've stolen something from @dkata. I'm the one that got the stone from Finewater that @Maisie posted. I'm pretty new to this forum, I hope I didn't step on any toes! I happened to also be looking for a garnet :-o
ETA: I bought it as soon as I got the email, not when it was posted here!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also get Gary's emails, and now I feel I've stolen something from @dkata. I'm the one that got the stone from Finewater that @Maisie posted. I'm pretty new to this forum, I hope I didn't step on any toes! I happened to also be looking for a garnet :-o
I'll jump in here to say it's nice of you to say- but no I don't believe you took it out from under OP's nose.
If you receive it and it's not to your liking-i think it would be courteous to offer it to OP- before you send it back for anyone else to then snatch.
I hope you post pictures in comparison to the vendors, too! I love that thread here.
It looks to be a lovely stone.
Dkata- if indeed this stone was to your liking - it never hurts to call the vendor to see if they possibly have any like items not listed......or more rough to cut.

Best luck!

jewelsforalltosee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you, I know not to pursue anything being considered, like the stones from JD that OP posted.
That is good advice to offer to OP if I decide not to keep it. I will post in the vendor comparison thread, as well!

I'll jump in here to say it's nice of you to say- but no I don't believe you took it out from under OP's nose.
If you receive it and it's not to your liking-i think it would be courteous to offer it to OP- before you send it back for anyone else to then snatch.
I hope you post pictures in comparison to the vendors, too! I love that thread here.
It looks to be a lovely stone.
Dkata- if indeed this stone was to your liking - it never hurts to call the vendor to see if they possibly have any like items not listed......or more rough to cut.

Best luck!

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
I'd go with 2.90, it's probably the least dark.

It has been my experience too that nice garnets are very limited on the market.

I pretty much had a choice between Jeff Davies and another vendor on Etsy who turned out to be...well...Daniel Davies.
His son. :)

My stone is on the way and I just hope it won't be too dark. I do love the berry purple color though.
It will be a long wait - with the stone coming all the way from Thailand...but there is very little choice out there for nice garnets.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Which one did you end up picking?

I pretty much had a choice between Jeff Davies and another vendor on Etsy who turned out to be...well...Daniel Davies.

My stone is on the way and I just hope it won't be too dark. I do love the berry purple color though.
It will be a long wait - with the stone coming all the way from Thailand...but there is very little choice out there for nice garnets.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Which one did you end up picking?

I got the Umbelite through Daniel - even though I think it is the same as the one listed on JD's site because it had the exact same dimensions.

https://jefferydavies.com/gemstones/garnet/dd9751-umbalite-4-96ct/

But this is still available to add to cart so maybe father and son had two identical ones?
I don't know.

I agonized between this Umbelite and the Mahenge MJ8202 for a long time - but in the end I fell for the berry color of the Umbelite; plus the nicer price was an incentive too, given that I need most of my funds to go towards the sapphire ring.

The son said it is in no way a dark stone - but we'll see.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Font worry, this stone was not my favorite, I’m looking for a little bit different color. But you are do nice, that you think about things like that!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thank you for your opinion. I think, I’m going to pick the 2.9, but I have asked for Jeff’s opinion, and I’m waiting for the answer.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
A0C3C0EE-1643-4367-BCCB-C59ABD8FF1DC.jpeg How about this one? It’s a 2.65ct Umbalite.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Maisie - I think it’s a very nice stone. What are the measurements?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its 7.50x5.46. Clarity VVS/Clean. Origin Tanzania. Treatment - none.

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It would be the 2.05 or 2.90 ct. one for me!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the color of the 2.05 and 2.90 the best, but the cut of the 2.4 best. Do these have videos? I found my pair of umbalite from Jeff Davies usually looked like the photo and rarely like the video.

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
I like the color of the 2.05 and 2.90 the best, but the cut of the 2.4 best. Do these have videos? I found my pair of umbalite from Jeff Davies usually looked like the photo and rarely like the video.

Chatoyancy,

Any chance you might have a picture of your JD umbalite - or umbalite jewelry?
I am asking - just in case it would not be too much trouble for you to post a picture for us.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It happened! Someone has bought my favorite, the 2.9 ct. I hate lurkers, who do that. They let someone else do the leg work and than just buy it! It’s not fair! JD has offered me an other one, but I would like to have near 8 mm, and the offered one is only 7.
I’m furious!!!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww no! It would have been safer to put the stone on hold. Such a shame.

Sabrina31

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry it got bought, but it may not have been a lurker, I'm sure lots of people frequent the jeff davies site, also he has a very active ebay shop. Keep looking, you'll find one that meets your needs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results