shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an old mine cut fancy yellow diamond

gouloute

Rough_Rock
Hello everybody
I am currently looking for a fancy yellow old mine cut diamond, set or unset, but it doesn't seem to be so easy to find.
Anybody has an idea of some places/sellers to contact ?

So far I have only found one ring with such a stone, weight is 1.60 ct, clarity is SI. Asking price is about 7000 US dollars. Does that seem reasonable in your books ? I have the feeling that it might be less, due to the cut.

Thanks for your opinions !

Here is a picture of the ring I have been proposed :

img_0025x.jpg

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What specifically does she like about that ring? The old cut...the yellow color? Did she give you any details to work with? Sometimes
things dont have to be right on (sometimes they do).

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi All,
In general- Old Mine Brilliant is referred to as "Old Miner" by many people- GIA"s classification is "Old Mine Brilliant"- there are also some stones GIA classifies as "Cushion Brilliant" that have similar characteristics.

Also general info: Make sure you get a GIA report if a seller is promising an Old Mine Brilliant is a Fancy Yellow. There is no GIA report that classifies a diamond as "Antique Cushion Cut". I' advise getting the GIA report number if a seller is making claims that a diamond has a GIA report ( or certificate) You can input the number into gia.edu and see the report- you can also post the GIA report number here so others can comment.
The number of pure yellow OMB's on the market is infinitesimal. Although there's more modified yellow stones ( with brown or green) in the market, those are rare as well.

Also general info: Putting a cup under a stone will not do as much good as harm in terms of color and brilliance.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
there is also a fancy yellow GIA graded old mine round cut on James Allen-sorry don't know how to link but it's SKU 934483 if that helps

gouloute

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your inputs.
6000/7000 US dollars would be a maximum budget.

@tyty333 : there is no girlfriend... I am a girl and friend of myself... The stone would be for me ! :angel:
The different stones you show me are definitely too pale.

I like old diamonds, and this special type of cutting, with cushion shape.
The ring I found is in an english antique shop. I don't think it comes with a certificate.

I'll check Old World Diamonds, which I didn't know. I'll send a mail rather than call them, since I live in Europe...

Diamondsbylauren is too expensive.
I'll check James Allen presently !

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
James Allen has yellow diamonds, but you are very unlikely to find a fancy yellow antique stone there. Your best bet is to keep on searching ebay. But I will tell you, finding well cut OMBs is very difficult in any color, and a yellow even more so. The stone in that ring is close to round, so don't eliminate Old European cuts because that will allow more options.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing wrong with buying a ring for yourself...we do it all the time! :)

gouloute

Rough_Rock
But do you think the one I was shown looks overpriced, or just normally priced ?
I could go for this one. Especially if they are so difficult to find. This one may be an opportunity.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends if its actually a true yellow or a green yellow or a brown yellow this impacts the price. It looks like it has secondary colours as well to me, which is why it is helpful to have a proper certificate with it that way you can compare apples to apples....

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
gouloute said:

@tyty333 : there is no girlfriend... I am a girl and friend of myself... The stone would be for me ! :angel:

The ring I found is in an english antique shop. I don't think it comes with a certificate.

I'll check Old World Diamonds, which I didn't know. I'll send a mail rather than call them, since I live in Europe...

Hi gouloute! :wavey:
Have you seen the diamond that's in the English antique shop in person? Do you love it?
Even if the diamond has a report (GIA and others), the report does not always note modifiers, so it important to have a good return policy in case the diamond is disappointing when you see it in person.
What size are you hoping to get?
Does your budget including the setting?
Are you open to man-made diamonds?

Rockdiamond|1487276047|4129830 said:
Hi All,
-snip-
Also general info: Putting a cup under a stone will not do as much good as harm in terms of color and brilliance.
Hi Rockdiamond. Are you saying that a cup does more harm than good? If that is the case, why do a number or your settings (including your branded old mine brilliants) have cups?

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
I don't know what your minimum size requirement is, but Tiffany carries lower carat diamonds and has a yellow cushion diamond cut called a "Square Antique Modified Brilliant". It comes in other setting styles beyond the solitaire (e.g., Novo, Soleste). Tiffany yellow diamonds fall on the greener end of the spectrum though.
http://international.tiffany.com/engagement/rings/square-antique-modified-brilliant
http://www.tiffany.co.uk/collections/tiffany-yellow-diamonds/classic-single-yellow-diamond-ring-27956017???

square-antique-modified-brilliant-1.jpg

tiffany_uk_square_antique_18k_yellow_gold.png

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1487281586|4129891 said:
James Allen has yellow diamonds, but you are very unlikely to find a fancy yellow antique stone there. Your best bet is to keep on searching ebay. But I will tell you, finding well cut OMBs is very difficult in any color, and a yellow even more so. The stone in that ring is close to round, so don't eliminate Old European cuts because that will allow more options.

Hey DS- I think she was referring to the one old cut I had told her about on James Allen.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When shopping for such stones its important to remember that like colorless old Mine and antique style Diamonds there are true antique Diamonds as well as newly cut reproductions. Also just like colorless, many of the actual antiques have abrasions and are asymmetrical. In Fancy Colors as in colorless Diamonds, precision cut modern antique Diamonds are generally more costly than most antiques. Very few cutters even attempt cutting Fancy Colored Old Mine Brilliant Diamonds which is part of the reason they cost more.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gouloute|1487278637|4129857 said:

That diamond (in your first post) almost looks like it was irradiated; did the jeweler perhaps disclose any stone treatment? It's okay if you like it; just know what you are buying so you don't overpay. ;-)

Re: OWD, I would suggest calling vs email. I have read a few comments on here that Adam is much easier to reach by phone vs email.

Also, is your noted max budget including a setting, or just for the stone? I will keep you in mind as I peruse around as well. You might also consider posting a "WTB" (want to buy) listing in the preloved section here ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/preloved-ps-jewels/[/URL] ), as well as on LoupeTroop & DiamondBistro in case someone has something they are open to selling but just haven't been motivated to list it.

I have a champagne colored old miner, and it is really gorgeous even with its imperfections. I'm sure someone here is able to help you find a stone that ticks your marks, though it may take a little time & patience. :wavey:

gouloute

Rough_Rock
Hello
I have contacted the ring seller, actually the diamond comes with a cert of this lab (which I didn't know) :
http://idrclab.co.uk

@Skhii : Yes I have seen the ring in person, it was a few months ago, I was struck by the combination of yellow color and old cut, which I had never seen before. In my memory the stone is more yellow than it looks on the picture, there is no green modifier, I think the black background of the picture does not compliment the real thing.
1.50 seems to be the right size as a OMC looks smaller than a regular modern brilliant, seen from the top.
And yes 6000/7000 is a maximum including setting.
The Tiffany ring looks too new for my taste.

@JoCoJenn : Good idea to post a WTB listing, I will do that !

gouloute

Rough_Rock
Here is another shot of the ring :
img_0027x.jpg

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Unless you are ok with a treated or man made stone (but then expect to pay far less), only consider stones untreated and thus certified by the GIA.

You are concerned about the price, well, you have to ask to see the report and make sure it is GIA.

Sorry but the stone shown in this ring looks treated for color just based on what I am seeing here. Price differences between vendors are caused by many factors, such as cut, color, rarity, etc. What you are looking for is close to non-existent so do expect to pay for quality when you find such a stone. There is a ginormous difference in quality between the various stones shown to you here on this thread including the one you posted, hence expect price variations accordingly. Back to your original question whether the ring is a good deal, others can comment but first verify that the color origin is natural and then decide if you can live with the inclusions and cloudiness of the stone that is obvious from the photos too. This just applies to what you asked about whether it is a good deal.

If you want quality you may want to go down in size. Otherwise others can help you search but it will be very difficult to find a stone matching your criteria, let alone find a deal. Others have helped you see some good examples, so that is a start. Have fun and good luck.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Skhii|1487285174|4129916 said:
gouloute said:

Hi gouloute! :wavey:
Have you seen the diamond that's in the English antique shop in person? Do you love it?
Even if the diamond has a report (GIA and others), the report does not always note modifiers, so it important to have a good return policy in case the diamond is disappointing when you see it in person.
What size are you hoping to get?
Does your budget including the setting?
Are you open to man-made diamonds?

Rockdiamond|1487276047|4129830 said:
Hi All,
-snip-
Hi Rockdiamond. Are you saying that a cup does more harm than good? If that is the case, why do a number or your settings (including your branded old mine brilliants) have cups?
Hi
Although we do manage to get some yellow gold under the stone we do not use cups that enclose the culet. In my experience a cup that encloses the bottom of the stone is indeed detrimental.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1487424682|4130436 said:
Here's a cutie I'd offer half on

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/161910615796

Now that is a beautiful stone/ring!

If you go back to the store that has the ring try to look at it in different lighting conditions (bath room, outside sunlight, outside shade,
etc.) Make sure you like the color of the stone in most conditions.

gouloute

Rough_Rock
@Niel : Unfortunately my computer doesn't give me an access to this ebay link, because - apparently - this item cannot be sold outside USA, or so says the blocking page.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gouloute|1487450275|4130563 said:
@Niel : Unfortunately my computer doesn't give me an access to this ebay link, because - apparently - this item cannot be sold outside USA, or so says the blocking page.
Noooooo. You probably would have thought it too small anyways it's only 1.25

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I think the ring you found locally is really nice and so is that yellow stone. I would buy that. You can always offer them less than they are asking. they probably paid less than half of the asking price anyway.

$7k for an true antique yellow diamond 1.6c is a good price. Do you know the clarity grade?
I've not seen very many YELLOW antique diamonds. They seem pretty rare...I like it...that high crown is awesome.

Can you post a picture of the report they have on the stone? What are the measurements? depth% crown %
length/width?

gouloute

Rough_Rock
They say the stone is graded SI.
I'll try to get the cert and post it, but having been on the website on the "lab", I have the impression that it is more a conventional gemological "expertise" than a real lab cert.
I'll try to get more pictures on another background than the black one too.

The James Allen cushion looks too new to me... and too expensive to my purse !

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pinkjewel|1487288676|4129953 said:
diamondseeker2006|1487281586|4129891 said:

Hey DS- I think she was referring to the one old cut I had told her about on James Allen.

Ahhh, gotcha! I like the one you mentioned and had seen it before. I just wish it was larger!

princessandthepear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jewels by Grace has an 0.81 ct fancy yellow OEC diamond. It has very distinct contrast zones and is smaller than you wanted but is in budget and leaves room for a nice setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results