shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an engagement ring. price range of 3k or less

Raj345

Rough_Rock
So shopping for an engagement ring first day .

My budget is 3K and was looking online on blue Nile for something with high carat and cut. Can you guys give me some feed back if this is good? If I can get a better deal somewhere else in person or just general advice. Idk if .93 size is small but but budget is limited .

Reactions: AV_

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What shape are you looking for? Princess cut?
Is the 3k for the stone and the setting or just the stone?

Raj345

Rough_Rock
Trying to get advice on that as well . I am hearing
What shape are you looking for? Princess cut?
Is the 3k for the stone and the setting or just the stone?

open to round princess or cushion. Is round the most popular ?. My budget is 3k with stone and setting .

Raj345

Rough_Rock

thanks! are these just the stone or with the settings? is there circle rock options as well? also would .90 carat look too small or its a good size? trying to see if i should look at somethe over 1 carat?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of the ones I posted above are both diamond and setting.
I don’t think it’s too small. Most women aren’t starting out with 2ct diamond rings (at least not the ones I know). $3k is a doable budget. I’ll look for some round and cushion options next.

Did she give you some idea as to her favorite shape?
Rounds are by far the most popular shape but cushion cuts are very popular too.

Raj345

Rough_Rock
All of the ones I posted above are both diamond and setting.
I don’t think it’s too small. Most women aren’t starting out with 2ct diamond rings (at least not the ones I know). $3k is a doable budget. I’ll look for some round and cushion options next.

Did she give you some idea as to her favorite shape?
Rounds are by far the most popular shape but cushion cuts are very popular too.

thanks! i dont think i she has a particular shape that i know of. also on this site i am looking lap certified diamonds? is that a good choice? because i am seeing bigger Carat, color and ect for cheaper price. is getting those a huge deal breaker for women?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you’re serious about proposing, your best bet is to try and find out what she likes. Does she have a Pinterest account? You’d be surprised what kind of jewelry related stuff we put in there. You could also try asking one of her close friends or relatives.

Two options with this 1ct cushion cut.
https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD13576041?track=FCOM&slot=3&type=9
A98C3D11-C575-484E-A025-EE2C11442ECA.jpeg D70C5F5F-E6D4-4837-BC84-A9784A709DE0.jpeg

Another 1ct cushion
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab

0D00415F-BDC9-4B78-BEDE-6203AEA51A9F.jpeg

A round
https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...MONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=sameTab
1E337CAB-ADCA-46B8-9953-8D87F47A1ADE.jpeg

Last edited:

Raj345

Rough_Rock
thank you for this!. i am considering lab grown diamonds now! what would you recommend for my price range for max look and clarity with a good color?

Raj345

Rough_Rock
1585946681781.png

so i found a lab dimond for 2330 which is in my price range which is 1.31 carat (bigger the better) and ideal cut! the color is an F too but the clarity is the only issue which is SI2. is there a huge deal if the clarity is not as great?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you for this!. i am considering lab grown diamonds now! what would you recommend for my price range for max look and clarity with a good color?

Unfortunately, I don’t know much about lab diamonds yet.
Pricescope does have a section for lab diamonds if you want to check it out.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/laboratory-grown-diamonds-man-made-diamonds-mmd.60/

I would advise you to make sure your significant other would be ok with a lab diamond.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clarity is a pretty big deal. The lower you go, the more likely you are to have eye visible inclusions (Aka: black spots / stuff you can see).

Cut is also important. The better the cut, the more sparkle it will have.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a relative view on how a .9 stone (6.18mm) would look on a size 6 finger. How do you think it looks?

Capture.PNG

Edit...if you want a bigger look, Ovals tend to face up bigger. Not sure what your girlfriend is open to.

Raj345

Rough_Rock
This is a relative view on how a .9 stone (6.18mm) would look on a size 6 finger. How do you think it looks?

Capture.PNG

Edit...if you want a bigger look, Ovals tend to face up bigger. Not sure what your girlfriend is open to.

Hmm it looks a little small. But idk ? Is this how it normally looks like ? The lab diamond gives me a bigger option ?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I think its a big look but size/"big look" is definitely subjective. What looks big to me (for my area) may look small to you.

You can definitely go bigger in a lab stone. Do you think your GF is ok with a lab created stone? Some are some aren't.

What size finger does your GF have?

Edit...here is what a 1.3 will look like on a size 6 finger
Capture.PNG

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its really critical that you get a sense of what she wants. I know that many people like the idea of a surprise, but in real life it often is not the best choice. She needs to at least give some input into what she wants. Some women love the idea of a lab stone (to maximize size for the price), and others would be horrified by the idea. Same with cut shape, color, and clarity. Please please ask her.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
If you're looking to keep this ring and proposal a secret, could you help us understand her style? What is her current jewelry style? What is her fashion sense like? Is she more traditional, or does she prefer something more edgy or trendy? Would she be OK with a lab diamond, or is she expecting a mined diamond?

The majority of engagement rings have round diamonds (the most classic and traditional). Fancy shapes are great for different and unique styles. Halos and 3-stone rings add finger coverage if you're looking for something that looks bigger! 1ct is plenty big for most! It also depends on her finger size.

I would personally go for H or better color, VS or better clarity, but you can get a bigger stone if you're open to expanding your search parameters. As many mentioned cut is the most noticeable (after carat).

IF your future fiance is open to lab diamonds, value/price is very important to you, and you are willing to go for a Very Good/Excellent cut diamond I'd recommend checking out Lightbox Jewelry. They have a few 1ct pendants that you could convert into a ring. They price at $800/carat plus the setting.

IF you expect your fiance to want to upgrade to a larger stone later on, I'd go with a vendor that has a generous upgrade policy!

Raj345

Rough_Rock
Its really critical that you get a sense of what she wants. I know that many people like the idea of a surprise, but in real life it often is not the best choice. She needs to at least give some input into what she wants. Some women love the idea of a lab stone (to maximize size for the price), and others would be horrified by the idea. Same with cut shape, color, and clarity. Please please ask her.

yes I don't unfortunately know much as far as her preference on the style of the stone, or the other c.from our talk before she isn't too found as far as much for the ring and just wants to get engaged and she never hinted on what she likes. I know she is not a big jewelry person. she is simple jewelry person and most of time does not wear jewelry. maybe I can ask her but I was thinking of surprising her but i guess need her ring size as well. I don't think she would be offended by lab Dimond or regular so I don't think that would be a issue knowing her. what are some sites i can go to find lab grown dimonds?

Raj345

Rough_Rock
If you're looking to keep this ring and proposal a secret, could you help us understand her style? What is her current jewelry style? What is her fashion sense like? Is she more traditional, or does she prefer something more edgy or trendy? Would she be OK with a lab diamond, or is she expecting a mined diamond?

The majority of engagement rings have round diamonds (the most classic and traditional). Fancy shapes are great for different and unique styles. Halos and 3-stone rings add finger coverage if you're looking for something that looks bigger! 1ct is plenty big for most! It also depends on her finger size.

I would personally go for H or better color, VS or better clarity, but you can get a bigger stone if you're open to expanding your search parameters. As many mentioned cut is the most noticeable (after carat).

IF your future fiance is open to lab diamonds, value/price is very important to you, and you are willing to go for a Very Good/Excellent cut diamond I'd recommend checking out Lightbox Jewelry. They have a few 1ct pendants that you could convert into a ring. They price at $800/carat plus the setting.

IF you expect your fiance to want to upgrade to a larger stone later on, I'd go with a vendor that has a generous upgrade policy!

soo she dosnt wear much jewelry. but would prefer something small but shiny I would say. I don't think she is agaist lab grown as she is not a materialistic person and the one to compare to other people what she has. and personally lab grown being, diamonds grown in a lab, I don't see why it would be bad. I was thinking popularity wise, the circle and princess cut seem to be the most popular which is what I was going for. she is deff more trendy and classy dresser I would say so I don't think something very blingly would suit her. I was looking at Carat size and cut as my main thing as I posted in the image above for the lab grown dimond. 1.31 carat for a very good cut is going for 2k but to get a better color or clarity I would have reduce the size;/ which I feel already looks small? is there any other site for lab grown dimond vendor you would recommend other than lightbox jewelry?

jp201845

Brilliant_Rock
soo she dosnt wear much jewelry. but would prefer something small but shiny I would say. I don't think she is agaist lab grown as she is not a materialistic person and the one to compare to other people what she has. and personally lab grown being, diamonds grown in a lab, I don't see why it would be bad. I was thinking popularity wise, the circle and princess cut seem to be the most popular which is what I was going for. she is deff more trendy and classy dresser I would say so I don't think something very blingly would suit her. I was looking at Carat size and cut as my main thing as I posted in the image above for the lab grown dimond. 1.31 carat for a very good cut is going for 2k but to get a better color or clarity I would have reduce the size;/ which I feel already looks small? is there any other site for lab grown dimond vendor you would recommend other than lightbox jewelry?

I suggest reaching out to Martin @ USA Certed Diamonds , he is a trusted vendor on this forum and has positive testimonial reviews. He is great at finding the perfect diamond working within your budget and most likely cheaper than Blue Nile and James Allen.

Raj345

Rough_Rock
I suggest reaching out to Martin @ USA Certed Diamonds , he is a trusted vendor on this forum and has positive testimonial reviews. He is great at finding the perfect diamond working within your budget and most likely cheaper than Blue Nile and James Allen.

Thanks!Where would I find this guy? I searched the forums and got good reviews about him but no info on how to get in touch or reach out to him

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You need to ask what shape she wants, what size she wants, and what style. Also you need to know her ring size. I wouldn't do anything without speaking to her first

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talk to her friends if you want it to be a surprise and therefore can’t talk to her.
Princess cuts are not very trendy and can be hard to get good ones so probably go for a round or an oval if size matters to you.
If she is a quality over quantity person, ensure you get a well cut stone. It will out-sparkle a bigger, badly cut one.
Depending on her cultural background, you could be ok with GHI colour. If she’s got an Asian background, these cultures tend to prize high colour over size so you’d be better off staying in the DEF range. Is she colour-sensitive eg would she say something is just white or off-white, eggshell, ecru etc?
Do any of her friends have rings she comments on? Are others in your social circle engaged or married already so could there be any expectations in terms of matching what they have? What about her sisters or close family members?
Are her family traditional in their expectations or easy-going and forward thinking? Are they or her going to think you’re cheap or don’t value her if you buy a lab-grown over natural diamond? I don’t think you would be but some people see lab-grown only as a poor man’s choice.
You say she doesn’t wear much jewellery, what jewellery does she actually wear? Does she like things to be streamlined and sleek or is she ok with embellishment or or are things you have to be careful with? You said she is trendy and classy, what celebrity would you say embodies her style?
What does she do for a job? Does she use her hands a lot eg gardening, gym, cooking etc?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
If you do a lab stone, pick a sapphire - perhaps with natural diamond sidestones; the ring will look very good indeed, & wise.

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a general caution to those that are looking to buy engagement rings for their partners. I see the comment "she doesn't wear much jewelry" fairly often. Don't assume that means she doesn't care about jewelry or isn't picky about what she'd like to wear. I never wore much jewelry either when I was younger--not because I didn't care about jewelry. It was because I couldn't AFFORD the kind of jewelry I really wanted to wear. I've never liked costume jewelry. I wanted the GOOD STUFF, so I didn't wear anything. To avoid disappointments, gather as much information as you can--either directly from your partner, or through surrogates. Don't buy blind!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I think a woman’s opinion does matter greatly since she will be wearing it everyday. However, I also think a simple solitaire if he decides to keep it a surprise will work out beautifully for now. Plus if funds allow- as a wedding gift OP can upgrade the ER that’s more to her liking if she decides she wants a more blingy or intricate ER.

My very first ER -my then fiancé did a nice job with no help from me. We can certainly help OP pick a classic nice ring within his budget. Again, if he’d like to keep it a total surprise. Plus PS is no stranger to upgrades lol

Fancy shapes like princess cuts tend to face up pretty small even if it’s a decent carat weight.

I’d stick to RB, ovals or even a nice cushion cut.

Go down in clarity as long as it’s eye clean. If you don’t know how sensitive she is to color I would not go below an H. Or an I if it’s a high I almost an H. I’m not color sensitive, but this ring is not for me. :)

Last edited:

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a sister or best friend you can enlist to help understand her preferences? What kinds of engagement rings do her friends wear?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest you stick to round. Princess cuts are not really in favor right now and rounds never go out of favor. Maybe go with the simplest
(read... least expensive) setting and spend most of the money on the stone. If she wants to upgrade the setting to something fancier, then she
can do that at a later date (at her expense). That way you would not have wasted money on a fancier setting that may not be her taste. Just
an option.

We need to start a sticky thread on the lab forum for places that sell lab-created diamonds.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Prior to my engagement ring, I never wore any jewelry, but I always knew that my engagement ring will be/is the most important material item I will ever own. I wanted a fabulous ring which was the gateway to diamonds for me! You could talk about engagement ring preferences, but keep the timing and proposal a secret.

Another different idea is proposing with an eternity or 7 stone ring. My co-worker has an eternity band as her engagement ring, with another different carat size eternity band for her wedding ring and she wears it as a stack. It is absolutely stunning and I can't stop looking at it! You'll want to make sure she would like this though, as it's a bit different than a traditional engagement ring.

One last thing, I would definitely go for a round solitaire given how you described your future fiance. The majority of engagement rings are round solitaires, they are super classic and you can't go wrong unless you know she has a specific preference!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results