shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an Emerald Cut Diamond around 1.5 ct

DahliaDante

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,
The time to get engaged has arrived! My man and I went to a local chain store yesterday where I found a setting I really love. picture attached.

I've previously suggested buying a diamond online to save on tax, because prices are better, and because I am less interested in "flawless" quality than I am on size/color. Therefore, I don't think I could discern the difference between several diamonds side by side, and don't think I need to 'see' a diamond to love it. I'd rather feel that I got a good deal (or at least a fair deal). I like warmer colors and I am looking in the K/L color range. My eyes are a little bad- so imperfections are less noticeable to me.

I thought I had BF convinced, until we walked into the store, and they started pulling diamonds out to look at! I just wanted to examine size and evaluate what they would look like in the setting...but BF started evaluating them to buy. He decided it would be easier to just get it all in one purchase, and the warranty from the store would cover the center stone.

Last night we discussed and he told me to find 1 or 2 diamonds online that fit my needs, and we can see if the chain store will price match.
The diamond he liked in the store is Emerald Cut 1.52 ct / L color / VS2 for $5,990. I THINK YOU GUYS CAN DO BETTER!

Will you guys send me some Emerald Cut diamonds that you suggest instead? I've been on James Allen but I don't really know how to read the stats like you do. You can better determine if a diamond spread or face up is bigger than another.

We are going back to the store this evening, they are going to present us with a few more diamond options. I'd like to find something online.

diamond.jpg

DahliaDante

Rough_Rock
Whoa! I'm glad you showed me this! I've printed it and I'm totally sold at going online now! Have you purchased from this company?

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No I haven’t, but haven’t heard anything bad about them.

scarsmum

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is drop shopping so check the listings with other vendors to see if they have it for a better price; if you were to decide this is the one for you.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm getting into bed and on the phone so can't look for anything until tomorrow, but I think the best thing to say now is DON'T RUSH!

Good ECs are tricky to find and you can't buy off the numbers alone - you need videos to see how the steps work and interact as a stone moves. 'Price matching' a given carat/colour/clarity is a futile exercise because their stock may be a lifeless, leaky, unsparkly piece of see-through rock, rather than a visually interesting and lively treat for the eyes that reflects white light in a constantly varying manner and produces coloured fire from all angles!

Your other half may be exhibiting a classic male "Let's just get it over with ASAP" approach, but you know what they say about doing something in haste and repenting at leisure... ;-)

Resist your partner's moaning about any delays or indecision, resist your jeweller's hard sell and 'price matching' tactics, and give yourself some time to check out options we might be able to find :))

DahliaDante

Rough_Rock
ok I am providing an update for everyone!:
So we did not purchase an online stone. Purchased a 1.51ct L VS1 Emerald Cut from the B&M store. BF paid $4800.00.

I know we could have done better online. But BF is just that untrusting of online, given that he knows nothing about diamonds. He was too worried it would be a CZ or fake lab diamond. He also thought the return process would be a headache if we did not like the stone.

When we are not at a jewelry store, BF was very open and positive about purchasing online. As soon as we walk into the store- it goes out the window and he feels so much safer and secure buying at the store.

At the end of the day, I'm getting a larger stone than I ever imagined, it is beautiful and I'll never have regrets. I know we could have gotten more bang for the buck- but it was his buck to spend and this is how he wanted to spend it.

I'm not a practiced diamond expert, and although I know 'on paper' more than the average person- in reality I have a hard time seeing the subtle differences. I'm thrilled with this purchase.

So I appreciate the help! If it was my process I would have already ordered from the San Francisco company...but it was not my purchase.

OH! AND! I changed the setting. As much as I LOVE that setting- I felt the diamond got lost in the sea of business and sparkles. I thought I was over analyzing it, but when I spoke up, BF and the jewelry rep agreed with me.

Luckily- I LOVE this new setting! I had not ever seen it in the store- I don't know how I overlooked it. But the jewelry rep brought it to me and it was totally perfect!

diamond!.jpg ring!.jpg ring2!.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pleased you have found a setting that will emphasis the main stone, as that is what you are paying the money for.

It is a shame he was not able to entertain buying online but he is not alone in that respect. Hopefully you felt able to choose from a position of knowledge having been here on PS :)

Please do post pictures of the ring when you can!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results