shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for an appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cool_rock

Rough_Rock
I am looking for an independent appraiser to appraise a loose diamond.

1) Does anyone have recommendations for or against going through appraisal process with a remote appraiser?

2) Does anyone have recommendations of appraisers based in and around Baltimore-Washington DC area?

3) Are the appraisers screened to be listed on Pricescope? If so, how are they screened?

I don''t quite know where to start since this will be the first time I will use the service of a diamond appraiser.

I heard about ASA & NAJA. I am also looking for an appraisal that will include brilliant scope and Isee2 reports. Am I too ambitious?
1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you need an appraiser why do you need to be over serviced in technology? Most have pretty good eyes and experiance
1.gif

The list here is people we have had positive feedback on.
There are a number who post regularly here and who will communicate with you where ever they are / you are.
Dave Atlas and Rich Sherwood and Cindy New England gem lab offer a lot of help to those on this forum FOC

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi Cool Rock,

The testing that you are asking for should be provided through the seller. An Isee2 is a selling tool and very useful for that purpose. Brillant scope, Sarin etc all have terrific information for the consumer but should be provided at the selling level. Ask for a Sarin report then just have all the information scrutinized by the appraiser of your choice.

The appraiser will act as your 'seeing eye dog' and should provide you with a piece of mind and a chance to get to know your stone. I have a second scope in the office just for my clients so they can spend time with their stone. You will need an exacting report once the stone is set so why not give the appraiser of your choice the chance to scrutinize it loose and then return for the final documentation?

I will check on an appraiser for you once I am n the office today. Cindy

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
Is it okay to go through an appraiser recommended by the jeweler/vendor or is it best to find a completely indepedent appraiser on your own?

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Best to decide on your own who you feel comfortable with. Check out the credentials etc...Going with someone recommended by the seller sets up a bias situation and you will always wonder if they just told you what you wanted to hear. Cindy

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 1/12/2004 6:55:53 AM chris00nj wrote:

Is it okay to go through an appraiser recommended by the jeweler/vendor or is it best to find a completely indepedent appraiser on your own? ----------------

This thread will answer some of your questions:

pricescope

It really boils down to the vendor caution is needed that the aren’t recommending their brother down the street.
I would stick with an independent appraiser with the proper credentials.

cool_rock

Rough_Rock
Thanks Strmrdr,

That's excellent information about appraisals on the other thread.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
It's not always bad to go with an appraiser recommended by the seller. In some cases the online sellers recommend one of these well respected Pricescope listed appraisers, because they are well respected, not because they have a relationship that would bias them. Just make sure they are really independent and are able to provide you the service you are looking for. Also, they should not be a seller of stones or they lose their "independence."

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results