shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a square cut / ascher cut Spinel

Shiny_pretty_things

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I'm a long time lurker and I've commented occasionally but I think this is my first thread! I have a ring that currently has a placeholder amethyst in it but I never wear the ring because although amethysts are beautiful, they just aren't for me. I dug the ring out today and thought, what if I replace the stone with a spinel - my birthstone and a stone I've been coveting for a while. I'm not much for pinks etc, but I really like the grey / grey blue stones I've seen.

However, I have an extremely limited budget. In fact, things are a tad stressful at present ( huge relocation coming, special needs child to help adjust and new job to be found for DH - I'm needed as carer) so I suspect this is why I've started to look for a stone :). I've also found myself lusting after a trillion diamond Ive seen on Instagram - waaaay out of my league at present so clearly theres a pattern forming...

Is it even possible to find spinels for a low price? The setting currently holds an ascher cut stone around 7mm square so I'm looking for something around that size -slightly smaller will probably do. I'd really appreciate any thoughts any of you may have.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
What is your budget?
If you're on Instagram, look up "mr.spinel" - he has a tremendous selection of round and ascher cut spinels in every color you can imagine. His prices are reasonable, too, but he's overseas so keep that in mind. He also has a website, but I find his Instagram site to be easier to view his offerings.
Find one of his stones you like and send him an inquiry about it...or tell him what you're looking for size and color-wise. He's in China and is sleeping while we're awake, but he always gets back with me when I ask him for information - it just takes a while sometimes.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A squarish cushion or other squarish cut might work as well. Truth be told, I rarely ever see Asher cut spinels, except from lapidary Jeff White, and he’s not cheap. What is your budget?

Shiny_pretty_things

Rough_Rock
What is your budget?
If you're on Instagram, look up "mr.spinel" - he has a tremendous selection of round and ascher cut spinels in every color you can imagine. His prices are reasonable, too, but he's overseas so keep that in mind. He also has a website, but I find his Instagram site to be easier to view his offerings.
Find one of his stones you like and send him an inquiry about it...or tell him what you're looking for size and color-wise. He's in China and is sleeping while we're awake, but he always gets back with me when I ask him for information - it just takes a while sometimes.

This is super helpful thank you so much. I've had a look at his Instagram page and he has some incredibly beautiful spinels. I'm not in the States, I'm in Africa actually ,so not sure how that will impact shipping but it does impact cost and therefore my budget as the exchange is not favourable to us ( it never is).

A squarish cushion or other squarish cut might work as well. Truth be told, I rarely ever see Asher cut spinels, except from lapidary Jeff White, and he’s not cheap. What is your budget?

I'm embarrassed to say to be honest as it is so low. I was hoping for not more than $150 (and thats pushing it) but I can see it will need to be more like $200 at least so I'm looking at what I can sell to fund it - my usual mo :D

Seda gems has this cushion close to size you want. The gray stones are so much prettier in person!
https://sedagems.com/shop/spinel/spinel-gemstones/1-42cts-grey-spinel-metallic-luster/

That is stunning but way out of my current budget. This ring has very small pave and its going to be a right hand ring so not too flashy and I think that the ascher blue grey will be a very gentle elegant stone. that said I've never actually seen one in real life so I'm taking a chance.

Shiny_pretty_things

Rough_Rock
Image-1.png He's sent this and I love it - so understated and elegant.

This is the ring. I should note that this amethyst is not original to the setting. A few years back, the stone was removed and the jeweller at the time suggested we put a stone in this setting so we didn't waste it. The amethyst was all we had but I think its a bit big for the setting. The ring hasn't been worn at all.

IMG_5412.jpg IMG_5413.jpg IMG_5414.jpg

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Make sure you check how the corners of an asscher will fit into your existing setting. Asschers can be cut with very minimal windmills, or with very clipped corners giving an octagonal outline. How those extremes would sit with where your prongs are situated would give very different looks, I would imagine, and also how the edges of each type of asscher would overlap the halo.

I’m dreadful with imagining 3D things, but you might find you get some unintentional airlines, depending on not only the size of the stone but also on its specific outline.

Another option, if you have the dimensions of the original stone that was in the setting, would be to get a cutter to cut you some synthetic rough into those same dimensions. Synthetic is budget friendly too, so your budget would go towards the cutting rather than the stone, but you’d end up with something that fitted your setting well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The asscher above in the photo you posted is pretty dark. Lighter grayish spinels have much more sparkle, but tend to cost a bit more. Be careful, since you may end up with a “lump of charcoal” in your setting, if you don’t pay attention to dark color.

Asschers also tend to weigh more per face up than other squareish cuts, so more carat weight=more $$ typically.

Shiny_pretty_things

Rough_Rock
IMG_5423.jpg IMG_5424.jpg
Make sure you check how the corners of an asscher will fit into your existing setting. Asschers can be cut with very minimal windmills, or with very clipped corners giving an octagonal outline. How those extremes would sit with where your prongs are situated would give very different looks, I would imagine, and also how the edges of each type of asscher would overlap the halo.

I’m dreadful with imagining 3D things, but you might find you get some unintentional airlines, depending on not only the size of the stone but also on its specific outline.

Another option, if you have the dimensions of the original stone that was in the setting, would be to get a cutter to cut you some synthetic rough into those same dimensions. Synthetic is budget friendly too, so your budget would go towards the cutting rather than the stone, but you’d end up with something that fitted your setting well.

You make some very good points, thank you. I'm afraid I'm not a fan of synthetic stones for myself and would rather wait and get a natural stone if necessary.

The asscher above in the photo you posted is pretty dark. Lighter grayish spinels have much more sparkle, but tend to cost a bit more. Be careful, since you may end up with a “lump of charcoal” in your setting, if you don’t pay attention to dark color.

Asschers also tend to weigh more per face up than other squareish cuts, so more carat weight=more $$ typically.

Thats helpful - its hard to know without seeing the stones, I'll attached a pic of the two options that he sent although the one on the left might be bit small. Image-2.png What do you think? I've removed the stone so its easier to see the setting. I love the flash of the left, but the blue of the right is also appealing.

Southerngent, Mr Spinel said he'd send pics today but has gone quiet - is this par for the course? As in how he normally communicates ? I tend to be quite 'instant gratification-y' so I need to keep that in mind.;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That setting has a very enclosed basket, and any dark stone will look darker. I would look for a much lighter stone, unless you don’t care much about sparkle.

When I say “much lighter,” I mean something like this.
C7853B94-A033-4558-8432-2E9E5B9CB568.jpeg

Last edited:

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Southerngent, Mr Spinel said he'd send pics today but has gone quiet - is this par for the course? As in how he normally communicates ? I tend to be quite 'instant gratification-y' so I need to keep that in mind.;-)
Yes, it is indeed typical of him. Oftentimes we will be texting right along, back and forth, and the he must get sidetracked as he will instantly stop. Give him 24 hrs and then check back with him.

Shiny_pretty_things

Rough_Rock
Yes, it is indeed typical of him. Oftentimes we will be texting right along, back and forth, and the he must get sidetracked as he will instantly stop. Give him 24 hrs and then check back with him.

Good to know. However, he doesn't ship to South Africa ( of course), so thats a slight hiccup:wall::D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results