shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a natural pale pink 2.5-3.5 ct round sapphire

rosaph21

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I am new here. After reading every single post I could about pink sapphires on this forum I decided to finally ask. I am looking for a natural, untreated, pale pink, round, 8.5-9 mm sapphire. I'd prefer it to be internally flawless (no inclusions, haziness, or veils). I'd like for it to be cut well also, be untreated, and be certified.
This was the closest I could find (https://wonderjewelers.com/gemstones/6694-3.31+carat+Round+Pink+gemstone). It was almost perfect when I saw it in person but had some haziness that I did not love, so I returned it. I have scoured the internet and these forums to find a link to websites that may carry the sapphire I seek: Africagems, gemfix, NSC (I stopped looking once I read the bad reviews). I even turned to lab grown sapphires (I did not like their plastic look at all) in desperation. I also viewed some Chatham lab grown sapphires, which were by far the closest to natural in terms of appearance, but I did not like the color of their "bubble gum pink" stones that were in reality more red than pink.
This is my first sapphire purchase so I really just want to find the right stone. Am I looking for unicorns or does it exist?
I need to buy this stone ASAP. I'm hoping someone here can help me.
This is my ideal color for the stone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZCe2WaNZzw. However, I am okay if the color is a bit more intense as seen on this example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmfcrnIxaMQ.
Thanks!

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Re: Looking for a natural pale pink 2.5-3.5 ct round sapphir

Just an FYI, sapphire/corundum is considered a GIA Type II stone which means that they are usually included. So finding an internally flawless one is not a likely scenario. Also, rounds are also quite rare, with cushions and ovals being much more common.

Other people will be able to give more suggestions.

regina3737

Rough_Rock

rosaph21|1428207677|3857098 said:
Hello,
I am new here. After reading every single post I could about pink sapphires on this forum I decided to finally ask. I am looking for a natural, untreated, pale pink, round, 8.5-9 mm sapphire. I'd prefer it to be internally flawless (no inclusions, haziness, or veils). I'd like for it to be cut well also, be untreated, and be certified.

Thanks!

FYI, the video sapphire is actually heated and I don't think you should go for a lab-created stone over a heated stone.

This is as close as I could get color-wise:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-28-CT-Natural-Padparadscha-SAPPHIRE-Cushion-GRS-Report-EXTREMELY-RARE-/111620847334?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fd1ef6e6

If you're willing to look at more intensely colored stones:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Natural-/4644/i.html?_from=R40&Color=Padparadscha%7CPink&_fpos=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=350&_udhi=&Shape=Round&_nkw=sapphire&_dcat=4644&rt=nc

Heat only option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CERTIFIED-LOVELY-2-32-CTS-NATURAL-PINK-SAPPHIRE-/150634369931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231282138b

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock

Pink Sapphire Round "Galaxy" Cut
Weight: 3.63cts
Measurements: 8.7mm, depth 6mm
Clarity: VS-VVS
Origin: Sri Lanka
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 4350.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_pink_456
Description: Wow! Huge unheated pink sapphire round. Softest baby pink, bright and brilliant, flashy and sparkly. A veil runs off the center, not visible at most angles or from the top. AGL lab report included. Pantone Coated Color Card: 685C. (Cut by Andrew Gulij)

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_pink.html

Is this the color you want? There is a veil, but as stated above, it's going to be hard to meet all of your criteria.

sapphire_pink_456.jpg

rosaph21

Rough_Rock

Hi, Thanks so much for sending me all these links!
These look gorgeous. I know it's pretty hard to meet all the criteria, the closest one I see is the galaxy cut round from gemfix.
I will order that one and see. Thank you!
As an amateur, I must say, that the lab-grown stones do not come close to the beauty of the natural ones. I guess the best way to say it, is that the lab grown stones don't "speak" to you. I'm 100% set on a natural one, I just hope to pick the right one. :)
Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am looking for a natural, untreated, pale pink, round, 8.5-9 mm sapphire. I'd prefer it to be internally flawless (no inclusions, haziness, or veils). I'd like for it to be cut well also, be untreated, and be certified.

IF is extremely difficult. When all your other criteria are put together, your search becomes almost an impossibility, even if you have years on your side. The standard for clarity for coloured stones are to be eye clean only.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Right. Not to pile on, but its true - there is not really any benefit to a "flawless" colored gemstone unless its a mind clean thing. As long as the stone is eye clean - really eye clean at close scrutiny - that is all its judged by regarding clarity. No additional value is placed on a flawless stone unless its some huge rock going to Sothebys!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1428333474|3857529 said:
I am looking for a natural, untreated, pale pink, round, 8.5-9 mm sapphire. I'd prefer it to be internally flawless (no inclusions, haziness, or veils). I'd like for it to be cut well also, be untreated, and be certified.

IF is extremely difficult. When all your other criteria are put together, your search becomes almost an impossibility, even if you have years on your side. The standard for clarity for coloured stones are to be eye clean only.

I agree.

I mean, I could a loupe clean pink sapphire but it doesn't fit OP's other specs in size, shape and treatment, and colour may be too saturated:
http://www.ajsgem.com/sapphire/pink-sapphire/pink-sapphire-2.62-carats.html

rosaph21

Rough_Rock

Alright, so we have a winner! I ended up choosing the original stone (https://wonderjewelers.com/gemstones/6694-3.31+carat+Round+Pink+gemstone)
My jeweler, bless her heart, had yet to send it back when I called her hoping that she still had it. I mainly chose the 3.31 ct stone because it had an amazing sparkle, it was GIA certified, unheated, and it was the perfect 9 mm round cut I was looking for. It is eye-clean but the small amount of haziness was the only thing that had bothered me, but I can't even see it, so I gathered up my pickiness and made the purchase that felt right in so many ways :)
I think I'm so picky because this stone is for my engagement ring. My original ring was destroyed when we took it to a "reputable" jeweler for a simple resetting in Dallas, and after 7 months of dishonesty and and back and forth we got a refund because they were unable to reproduce my original custom design ring.
As a result, I have been looking for the perfect pink sapphire for a while now. Now that I have the stone, I'm planning to set it in a micro-pave solitaire setting. However, here comes my next question, for a round stone that size, would a 6 or 4 prong head fit better? I'm asking in terms of light entering the stone, it's a mixed brilliant cut stone (step cut pavillion, brilliant cut crown).
Thank you so much for all your replies! I will post a picture once the ring is finished!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You have the actual GIA lab memo, right? The one shown on the website is a GIA diamond lab memo sample. The more open the setting, the more light is able to enter the stone (from the side and the top). 4 prong vs 6 prong is a personal preference. Both are fine and safe IF the stone is set correctly. The sapphire has a small window but due to the extreme lightness of both tone and saturation, I'm not sure whether the setting will "close" it.

ETA
I took another good look at it and it may not be a true window as I can barely make out the culet. In any case, the last few pavilion facets are not cut to the correct angles, which gives the sapphire the appearance of a fish-eye.

rosaph21

Rough_Rock

Yes, I have the GIA report with me. It's from 2013 though. I'm not sure if that matters?
I think I will choose the 4 prong setting to get more light in. Could you educate me as to where exactly the window is? The picture is too hazy and I couldn't even tell there was a window, even when I saw it in person.
I can ask my jeweler to try to close it with the setting.
Thanks!

_583.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is the stone hazy in person? A 2013 report is not a reason for concern. I take it you have seen the stone in person though so the cut isn't an issue for you. If the stone is hazy, $5K is a bit expensive for the quality.

6694.jpg

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Here is a good short article about gemstone cut with a picture illustrating a window from John Dyer:

https://johndyergems.com/facts1.html

Essentially a window is an area of the stone that is not going to reflect light back to the eye, having a distinct lack of sparkle from the window area.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just missed the window to make edits but feel that the edit is necessary:
I took another good look at the sapphire and can barely make out the culet, therefore it may not be truly windowed. In any case, the last few pavilion facets are not cut to the correct angles, giving the stone a fish-eye appearance which is circled in blue.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The setting you're going to use sounds great. Who will make it?

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock

One thing to consider regarding the setting is protecting the sapphire from wear, tear and impact. Though sapphire is a hard stone, it is brittle . Since your stone is going into an engagement ring that I assume you will wear frequently, a four-prong solitaire setting may not protect the exposed rounded edges as much as a 6-prong, even though the former will allow more light in. Just a thought. :)

rosaph21

Rough_Rock

@Chrono
My jeweler's response was that sapphires will always have some inclusions, as you all have stated here. I was also told it would be rare to find another pale pink, unheated, natural, GIA certified sapphire that was also a 9 mm round mixed brilliant cut (which was what I asked for). Finally, I was told that the sale had already been made and the stone was being set. The stone is actually quite lovely, I'm not an expert on cut, but it shone brilliantly and there was no extinction or windows. Like I said, my only gripe was the haziness I noticed at the center when I held it really close to my eye. It's also a nice pink color that isn't as pale as the galaxy cut stone that was posted above.

@Arcadian
I'm ended up going with a local jeweler in the hopes of avoiding the horrors of what happened to my last ring.
I get the ring on Thursday! I'm really excited, it's a 4 prong simple tulip head with micro-pave diamonds on the band. I didn't really want to go with a halo as I've always wanted a solitaire.
Fingers crossed!

@swissmiss
I do computer work, so I don't do very heavy work with my hands. I'm one of those "rings come off once I get home" girls, so I try to always keep my jewelry in good shape. Thank you for the tip though, I will take extra care!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results