shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a little advise!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamond Inquisitor

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I am VERY new at this whole diamond buying thing, but have read a lot on this site and have recieved some wonderful advise thus far... THANK YOU! I am currently looking for a 1.25-1.35 brilliant round stone for an e-ring. A local wholesaler (and friend?!?!) has the following stone available. Unfortunnitally the cert is EGL Israel, which seems to be VERY lax on grading (per MANY posts on PS!). Based on some PS advise, I've taken the stone to a reputable independent appraiser... the appraiser's findings are listed next to the cert. info.

EGL Cert #2562459538
Date: December 28, 2005
Weight: 1.29 ct.
Shape: Rounnd Brilliant
6.95-6.90 x 4.34mm
Total Depth: 62.7%
Total Height: 56%
Crown Height: 16%
Pavilion Depth: 43%
Girdle: Thin Fac
Polish: Very Good
Symm.: Very Good
Culet: None
Clar.: VS1 (VS1)
Grain.: Nil
Color: E (F-G)
Flour.: slight (medium)
Cut: "Tolkowsky" Ideal

Asking price = $9,000.00

The appraiser said this was "a good deal", but I what do YOU think?!? Anny and all feed back would be GREAT, as I'm at a loss and want to make sure I'm getting a nice diamond!!!

Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
well..you could get a similar, better even, stone with gia or ags grading for less through a ps vendor, but if you feel you need to buy from your friend, then so be it. the price is about right for a b&m store.
to satisfy your curiosity put your parameters in the ''pricescope your diamond'' search tool above. you will be able to see prices for similar diamonds.

Diamond Inquisitor

Rough_Rock
I have done some price comparisons of similar stones (even accross different cert.), and it SEEMS like this is "ok". The one thing I keep hearing from a variety of people (the seller of the stone, the appraiser who looked at it, my friends, etc...) is that its the LOOK of the stone that really matters. That even with perfect "numbers", the stone may not be "brilliant". This stone does look beautiful and full of "brilliance", but then again, most stones look good to me
23.gif
! Is there any truth to this?!?

Thanks!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2006 7:05:59 PM
Author: Diamond Inquisitor
The one thing I keep hearing from a variety of people ... is that its the LOOK of the stone that really matters.

Well, that is true... in the end, all that really matters is HOW it looks. It is also true that the numbers don't always tell everything. If you have had the opportunity to look at and compare a lot of diamonds, and have been able to observe them in various lighting situations, and you love this stone -- then by all means, buy it and enjoy it.

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
I am no expert but I have seen amazing stones that, on paper, did not seem like they would be very nice at all - I have also seen stones that on paper are supposed to be the best but didn''t really strike me. It''s true that you need to trust your eye. You can call most of the vendors here on PS and they will have someone look at the stone for you and give you an opinon.

The stone your"friend" is selling you is a little pricey, but if you like it - go for it. (I know that doesn''t really help much but in the end it is up to you. If you are not yet confident enough to buy, stick around and keep reading)

just my .02

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DI
$9000 isn''t cheap for this stone.you can get a stone with AGS/GIA report close to that price.why mess around with an EGL Israel stone?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
You mentioned an appraiser had seen it. Was it an independent one, and did he/she agree that it is an E/VS1? If so, then the risk of the EGL Isreal cert should be small. EGL Isreal is known for "soft" grading. You don''t want to pay the price of an E/VS1 if the stone is really an F/VS2 or lower. It doesn''t change what the stone is, it changes the price you should be paying.

If you think the stone is beautiful to your eyes, then I would make a deal that you send/take it to a completely independent, qualified appraiser BEFORE you pay for it to verify the specs. If it doesn''t match the cert than either ask change the price appropriately, or walk away. Certs don''t make a stone a good one, they just give you a hopefully objective opinion of what the stone is so that you get a fair deal.

Diamond Inquisitor

Rough_Rock
YES, I did take it to an INDEPENDENT appraiser. The aapraiser''s feedback was:

VS1 clarity holds up
Color should be F-G as opposed to E.
Flour. should be closer to medium than slight.

It should also be mentioned that he thought this was a "good deal".... paying $9,000 that is as the stone "is cut very well" and "looks beautiful".

What would a TRUE (GIA or AGS certified) 1.29, ideal cut, F-G color, VS1 sell for?!?!?!?!

Thx.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey di,
did you try using the search? make sure you expand your options. because your stone is a little deep, it will have the dimensions of a stone of smaller carat weight. so you should do a search for stones from 1.20 and up.
here is a superideal branded stone for $9058
2.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
From reading your posts it seems as if you want confirmation of your stone choice. However the term wholesaler is a loose one and this stone does not appear to be a “deal”. I think I would take a pass, sometimes it is better not to make a friendship into a business relationship.
If you buy from another vendor then you can have things like a 100% trade up policy and other amenities.

Diamond Inquisitor

Rough_Rock
Hey Belle,

Thanks for the stone info. I''ve done some searching on the internet, but will continue my search based on your suggestions.

Could you go into more detail about this diamond''s "depth"?!? You think its too deep? Any explanation would be great!

Thx,
di

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
no, no...not too deep.
2.gif
...just deeper than i would prefer and it is taking away from the overall diameter. the stone you are looking at is 1.29ct. and it has virtually the same dimensions as the 1.20ct. stone i linked. in rounds sized anything bigger than melee, depths in the 60-61% make for a good balance of performance and size. of course a girdle of medium or less will help that spread too.
2.gif

Diamond Inquisitor

Rough_Rock
belle,

Thanks for the insight! I will continue my search and let you know what I turn up. Any other diamonds you find, please feel free to post.

Thx again!
di

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results