shape
carat
color
clarity

looking for a creative solution to an engagement ring conundrum

DenverT

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking for a few months now and learned quite a bit on here so thanks for being a great source of information.

I will be popping the question before too long and my girlfriend and I have been planning on using a sapphire--probably a radiant cut--as the center stone on a three stone ring since she likes to be a little less traditional and sapphire is her birthstone. But my conundrum has less to do with an issue of the center stone and more to do with the side stones...

I am named after my paternal grandfather who died before I was born and my parents have kept my paternal grandmother's rings for me. I hadn't seen the ring and stone for years as it was in the safety deposit box because the ring is broken and the diamond is loose but had always been reminded about how small the diamond is so the plan was/is to use the diamond from my grandmother's engagement ring from 1944 as one of the side stones of my girlfriend's engagement ring. I'm at my parent's this weekend and they got the ring and diamond for me to take home to have ready for getting my girlfriend's ring made once I decide what I'm going to do with it. But now I have a nice problem to have in that the stone isn't as tiny as I remember and to my untrained eye looks like a very high quality round diamond that is just a tad over 5mm.

I am concerned that being a bit over 5mm is going to be too big for a side stone both in terms of look and budget (hoping to keep it under 5k) as it would both require another diamond of that size and a bigger center stone to get the look she is wanting. My girlfriend thinks it is a gorgeous stone and says that she would be ok with me just getting it reset in a new ring for her but I know that ultimately she would be disappointed if I did that. She did also mention that she would be completely open to a unique design which very much fits her personality. I really can't think of anything that would look good with one round diamond and one colored stone. The best I can think of (and I am not even sure I would like it if I were to see it) would be to use the diamond on the wedding band and get a trillion (her second favorite cut) sapphire for the engagement ring and set the trillion so that the diamond would match up with one of the sides of the trillion sapphire.

Anyone seen anything like that before? Or have any creative ideas for this situation? Mostly just fishing for ideas and hoping someone has a gorgeous solution in mind.

Denver

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Denver,
Do you have a picture of the diamond? What shape? Is it a round brilliant, oval, pear, marquise?? It is possible to have a 3 stone engagement ring, where the center stone is larger than the diamond and you may be able to keep the total cost of the ring in budget --- but it may take some time! I am not sure of your timeframe, but perhaps the PS recommended vendor IDJ (https://idjewelry.com/) or someone else can help with a match to your grandmother's stone. The center stone can be a gemstone such as a sapphire--like one from Mastercut Gems-- (https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...pphire_Natural_USA_2_44_ct-Gem.php?FromPage=1) and you would have left about $3500 for a matching diamond. If approxiamately 5mm diamond, then something like a .57 ct J color, vs2 clarity on James Allen is $1350. So that's now $2930, so you'll have about $2000 for a setting!! :dance: I think this is such a special time for you both and if you want to do this together (or surprise her!) this would be a wonderful way to go! I really hope this helps and congratulations on your impending engagement!!

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Denver,
Do you have a picture of the diamond? What shape? Is it a round brilliant, oval, pear, marquise?? It is possible to have a 3 stone engagement ring, where the center stone is larger than the diamond and you may be able to keep the total cost of the ring in budget --- but it may take some time! I am not sure of your timeframe, but perhaps the PS recommended vendor IDJ (https://idjewelry.com/) or someone else can help with a match to your grandmother's stone. The center stone can be a gemstone such as a sapphire--like one from Mastercut Gems-- (https://www.mastercutgems.com/Produ...pphire_Natural_USA_2_44_ct-Gem.php?FromPage=1) and you would have left about $3500 for a matching diamond. If approxiamately 5mm diamond, then something like a .57 ct J color, vs2 clarity on James Allen is $1350. So that's now $2930, so you'll have about $2000 for a setting!! :dance: I think this is such a special time for you both and if you want to do this together (or surprise her!) this would be a wonderful way to go! I really hope this helps and congratulations on your impending engagement!!
Oh BTW, 5mm for a side stone is awesome! We are PS'ers you know! True you will need to get a bigger center stone to make the entire ring look proportional. So as a suggestion, find out how large the diamond you received by going to a reputable jewelry store, bring the diamond with you and ask the designer--the jewelry designer (do not go or use a mall store!) for a 2.5 - 3 carat gemstone and try to get a feel on how the proportions would look on her hand! Anyway, I hope this suggestion helps, it is doable for your budget of $5K and I am excited for you both! Let us know what you decided to do!!

Last edited:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a nice kind of dilemma to have. How lovely to have inherited a diamond! A couple of ideas before the design experts descend upon you with their brilliance. :))

Perhaps you could consider a "Toi et Moi" ring style which would allow you to incorporate both the diamond and a similarly shaped sapphire into one ring. Another idea could be to use the diamond as the center stone in an engagement ring and incorporate smaller sapphires into an eternity ring as the wedding band. There are so many ideas, but please don't settle; you, particularly your GF, should have exactly what you'd like.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you happen to know the size of her ring finger? Does she like large rings?

DenverT

Rough_Rock
thanks for all of the replies...now to answer a few of the questions

The diamond is a round--this is the best picture I could get of it (it's on my hand so looks a little small):
4hfglgtl.jpg

I know she dislikes square cushions but would probably like a rectangular one.

I do like the idea of a "Toi et Moi" ring and will have to look at more of those as I wasn't overly familiar with that until I just googled it.

Her ring size is a 7 and in her words she would prefer a dainty ring.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I echo the suggestions to consider a Toi et Moi (also known as "two-stone" and "you and me") ring design - love the classic style posted by NKOTB above!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was also going to suggest a Toi et Moi ring. I think it would be a lovely way to incorporate the history of family (family diamond) and the new love you two share (sapphire). Different shaped stones would give the ring a modern twist.

There is another style that's just popped into my head but off hand I can't recall the style name. I'll have a look and see if I can find a picture.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the one NOKTB posted too.

DenverT

Rough_Rock
So we might be looking for a 5mm-ish round blue sapphire then? :)

Might be a hunt to find nice cuts that small. Although..
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=G86525

Yes, if we decide on a more traditional toi et moi ring, I'll be looking for a round sapphire that is fairly close in size to the diamond--blue is definitely an option but she also loves bright pink sapphires and purple is her favorite color. So if I can find a nice color changer that might be ideal.

If I go with a slightly less traditional toi et moi ring and use two differently shaped stones, it would allow the sapphire to be a little bit bigger and despite her preferring rings with a more dainty appearance, I know that she would love a big stone.

I am hoping to swing by a jeweler in the next day or two to get more info on the diamond as there is still a chance I'll just go with the original plan of a three stone ring

DenverT

Rough_Rock
I was also going to suggest a Toi et Moi ring. I think it would be a lovely way to incorporate the history of family (family diamond) and the new love you two share (sapphire). Different shaped stones would give the ring a modern twist.

There is another style that's just popped into my head but off hand I can't recall the style name. I'll have a look and see if I can find a picture.

That is a lovely way of putting it!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you go the 3 stone route it looks like theres some nice pink ovals out there too.

Not sure if this shape would work with round sides, and its on the pricey side, but since I had to pick my jaw off the floor I thought it was worth posting, just in case :)

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/gemstones/?sku=G88854

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umm, could the diamond be presented as a pendant for the 1st Anniversary? I feel that it is difficult enough to get the right E-ring stone and sidestones and this makes it more complicated.

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm with the others on a more traditional toi et moi ring or a modern version with a twist. I think both of those are beautiful and could serve you well. The thought of using the diamond as a right hand ring or anniversary present also sounds nice. Or you could give her the necklace to wear on your wedding day, if she'd be open to that.

Do you know if she'll want to wear a wedding band?

I've had this picture for several years as I hope to use it as inspiration one day. Maybe it could help you on your quest for a dainty ring that's unique. I could easily see your round diamond replacing the pearl, and then your new sapphire for the other stone.

Round_Design.PNG

TheElms

Shiny_Rock
What about using the diamond as the center stone of a three stone ring and picking a matching pair of 3 mm or so brilliant cut round or pear sapphires?

Like this: http://www.tiffany.com/engagement/rings/three-stone-with-sapphire-side-stones
Or like this: https://www.bluenile.com/build-your...ing_20327?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample
Or this has trillion side stones, since you said she liked those as well.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...b3TAhUp4YMKHSWABmsQMwhqKAQwBA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Or maybe something like this, if she wouldn't like a three stone, but instead of diamonds for the pave use sapphires?
https://image.brilliantearth.com/blogprod/news/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/04021227/chamise-hero.jpg

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2082.JPG
What a nice kind of dilemma to have. How lovely to have inherited a diamond! A couple of ideas before the design experts descend upon you with their brilliance. :))

Perhaps you could consider a "Toi et Moi" ring style which would allow you to incorporate both the diamond and a similarly shaped sapphire into one ring. Another idea could be to use the diamond as the center stone in an engagement ring and incorporate smaller sapphires into an eternity ring as the wedding band. There are so many ideas, but please don't settle; you, particularly your GF, should have exactly what you'd like.
Yes! A sapphire and diamond bypass!! Would be gorgeous!

DenverT

Rough_Rock
I showed my girlfriend some pictures of Toi et Moi rings that I thought she would like and that I quite like but she is a little less excited by them. As much as she wants a bit more of a dainty ring, she is not against having a big stone and has fallen in love with rectangular radiant cuts. Hopefully the idea of a toi et moi will grow on her but, if not, unless I can figure out a toi et moi ring that incorporates a decent sized rectangular radiant cut with the family diamond I don't know if a toi et moi ring will be for us. I really haven't seen many Toi et Moi rings that incorporate two wildly different stones, if anyone knows a place to see some pictures it would be much appreciated.

She will almost certainly want a wedding band as well as the engagement ring. And I also could use the diamond for a different piece of jewelry in the future. Or perhaps use the diamond in a Toi et Moi ring for our engagement and spend a bit less on it and promise her a nice big radiant sapphire for a future anniversary as it would really mean a lot to my dad and me for my grandparent's diamond to feature in our engagement ring

Crazie4Cuts

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well...if she isn't completely on board with a toi et moi, perhaps show her other designs and see what she thinks! Maybe go shopping to just 'try' not buy to see how the rings look on her hand so you can get a feel what she would like and what looks best on her. Since she likes a radiant shape, how about this: radiantgem+side diamonds.jpg So one of the diamonds can be the one you received and you both can pick out the center stone and another diamond together!

S

SparkliesLuver

If she's not into that look, then I'd suggest finding a radiant sapphire and a diamond to match the one you have, thus creating a three-stone. :)

Ring.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case they are helpful, here are two 2-stone ring designs that incorporate stones with different sizes :

2671b-455.jpg CHAM0000435.1G.png

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would she have any interest in an antique/deco-ish design? You can do a 3-stone that would not require a much larger center, if it appeals to her. Something like this?
3.jpg
2b.jpg

Or this (reversed)?
Sapphire-Diam-3-Stone-Ring_b9cf91f5-5561-4da5-97b0-a1003a026cf4_1024x1024.jpg

Bex

Shiny_Rock
I think it might be time to ask her what she really wants. I can understand her reluctance on the toi et moi. While I like them for other people and can appreciate the design, I personally wouldn't want one as an engagement ring. But if she really has her heart sent on a traditional solitaire, then that is probably the way to go.

Have you considered a 5 stone ring with diamonds and sapphires, using your stone in the middle? There are some wonderful examples on Pricescope; I particularly love this one:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...apphire-five-stone-spinel-three-stone.207087/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would listen to her wishes and get her the radiant she wants.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about using the diamond in the center and doing a cushion or a radiant shaped sapphire halo?
upload_2017-4-25_12-34-37.png

upload_2017-4-25_12-34-26.png

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a fan of this particular ring but you could take the concept for your stone too-you use the diamond in the center, sapphire on the first halo and diamonds on the final one that gives her more coverage as well as the color pop and a square look.

upload_2017-4-25_12-38-46.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results